Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 01/12/17, 12:22 AM   #1
Z Bronco
Contributor

Bend
EFI Wiring question. Older Painless/RJM harnesses

I have the Painless Bronco/scout/fj40 harness and am installing the RJM EFI harness. In connecting the RJM Ignition Run Orange wire to the Ignition Run of the Painless harness, can I connect to the coil+ of the Painless harness since the coil wires are no longer used because of the EFI harness wiring and different coil? Or, do I run a wire to the old 904 wire spot on the ignition switch? Wanting to wire it correctly, but unsure, don't want to mess up the wiring as I am in a stupor from days of shoveling snow from the recent winter storms in Central Oregon.

Thanks in advance,
Z Bronco
Z Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/17, 02:39 PM   #2
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Either should work I would think. As long as it's got 12v to the wire with the key in RUN, then it should work for your purposes and you don't need to run a dedicated wire to the key. You already have that with the new harness.

Basically, your RJM harness needs 12v all the time, 12v with the key in RUN, and 12v with the key in START modes. They don't really care where the source comes from, as long as it's clean and not from something like the alternator output or somewhere that "noise" might be excessive.
And speaking of which... Make sure you have a good charging system, battery and, most especially, additional ground circuits from the battery, engine and body. More than Ford put on EB's to begin with.
Your computer will thank you for the additional effort.

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/17, 02:41 PM   #3
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
Another wire that's often used as a source for switched 12v is the old voltage regulator wire.
Are you still going to be using an externally regulated alternator, such as a stock one? Or are you upgrading to a more powerful and internally regulated alternator?

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/17, 03:08 PM   #4
Z Bronco
Contributor

Bend
Thanks Paul. Here is some more information.....

I will be using the explorer serpentine setup which I believe is a 4G alternator, so internally regulated (had a one wire 3G before). The coil+ wire (#720 14 gauge, pink wire, from the Painless supplement for the 10107 wiring harness) originates from the Fuse panel. The voltmeter gauge (#735 18 gauge) also originates from the Fuse panel. I have Autometer gauges in my homemade dash and there is a Volt gauge in the dash, so I think that is hooked up, but I will check. I added many grounds when I rewired the Bronco years ago, and the battery will be new once I go pick it up (had an old Optima yellow top). Hope this helps.
Z Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech