• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mint 400 Movie plus Vintage Stroppe Pics

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...thats not an OLY clone - that's Pre-Oly sponsor Big Oly.

Well that explains a lot! Like why we never hear stories of any other 'Oly look-alikes running around the races back then.
But I always thought that the Olympia involvement was late sixties. So you're saying it was early seventies instead? Learn something about my own past every day!

Wonder where that wing design went? I only remember the pop-up Cibié lights. But maybe that's when they became a sponsor and that just happens to be when I started paying better attention.

Thanks

Paul

glass76

Great old photos....lots of good memories! Please keep them coming.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Randy,

Good to see you're busy, but just don't kill yourself before you reach the golden ages...or are we already there! :)

I can't speak for you.. but, cresting 60 year ago, I think I'll be chasing the golden years for a while.

Bukin 67 said:
Maybe I can send you the projector so you can view the reels before you pay to have them converted? Let me know if you're interested and I'll get up in the attic and see exactly what kind it is, Super 8 etc.

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to try the service that Bajabrewer suggested. I was looking at a projector on eBay... the projector was cheap. Shipping on the other hand was $50. lol

Bukin 67 said:
It's funny you asked about those mirrors as we were just talking about them a couple weeks ago. I'll shoot him a text and see what the hecks up with them and let you know.

I've got an idea for something similar to yours. There are already mounts on the fenders of the '71. I'm thinking about using your style with a longer arm so that I can position it further back.

Talk soon.

Jeff

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Too cool Jeff, thanks brother...

Hey,

One more time... This is getting to be way too much fun.

The first three pics are at Stroppe's shop. I believe these were taken before the 1969 Baja 1000. I will try to improve those pictures sometime in the future. It's amazing to see that many awesome Bronco racers (and F100s) in one place.

The forth picture is of the Bronco Bill and Parnelli drove.

The last four pictures are of the Condor motorhome (aka Debbie). My brother, Tim, and I are in a couple of the pictures. (Neither of us has changed a bit. lol) We were around it a fair amount... although the extent of our hands-on was cleaning it up for some shows and races.

Take Care,

Jeff

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
can't never see too may of the infamous Big Oly!! Great way to start the week... :D

Hey Again,

Big Oly!

Last ones for a day or two. If I could figure out a way to make a living at this it would probably be easier to keep my customers happy. This stuff is really addicting.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Hey Again,

Big Oly!

Last ones for a day or two. If I could figure out a way to make a living at this it would probably be easier to keep my customers happy. This stuff is really addicting.

I'm not sure exactly of the date and location of this race. I'm thinking it might have been Parker; but, that's just a guess. Maybe 1973?

After looking at the propane bulk truck in the background... I'm wondering if this was a Barstow to Vegas race.

Jeff

I see the Barstow Liquid Gas truck in that one pic so I wonder if it's the Firecracker 250 at Barstow? I think '72 was the first year of that race so that could be '73.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Hey Guys,

Here are a few shots of Jim Loomis' Bronco. My Dad would use the propane rigs at promotional event. He'd bring them home just to drive me and my brother crazy.

This was about as close as I ever came to driving one.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Jeff

Very cool Pics!

Driven crazy for sure. A few years older, and the Bronco may have disappeared on a joy ride.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I voted 5 stars on this thread. If I could had 10 more I would gave them too.;)

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Half Cab,

Thank you for the rating... I think it's great that you guys enjoy the pictures.

I get down to the Toyota plant in Tupelo at least once a year. I've seen lots of posts from Mississippi... I keep thinking I'll run into a Bronco on one of my trips down there.

Take Care,

Jeff

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Hi Half Cab,

Thank you for the rating... I think it's great that you guys enjoy the pictures.

I get down to the Toyota plant in Tupelo at least once a year. I've seen lots of posts from Mississippi... I keep thinking I'll run into a Bronco on one of my trips down there.

Take Care,

Jeff

Dang dood next time your down give me a shout. By way the crow fly's I'm not to far from Toyota. Several Broncos in that area but I don't believe none are on this site.

It's amazing how many bronco owners that aren't on this site. Think I even started a thread on the subject once.;)

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Isn't that Parnelli Jones in the Plaid pants?

And Dick Russell, the guy who built Big Oly, is working on the truck.

Jeff - your guess as to this being October of 1970 sounds right as the 70 Baja 1000 (November) was Oly/Crazy Colt's first race. This looks like the final stages of the build before they took it for a test run down in Baja before the race.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I see the Barstow Liquid Gas truck in that one pic so I wonder if it's the Firecracker 250 at Barstow? I think '72 was the first year of that race so that could be '73.

It's the '72 California 400 - which was held near Barstow. Note that Big Oly only has a driver's seat in it for this race (I'm not sure why). It was also configured like this for the next race, which was the '72 Mint 400, again with Walker's name on the side. Dick Russell's name was on the side for the '72 Baja 500 and then Stroppe's name was on for all the rest of the races in Oly livery from 71-74.

Check out Walker's custom racing shoes - they're super cool Vans Topsiders!
Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hey Everyone,

Here's another picture in the shop at Bill's. I'm pretty sure that's him in the picture.

(This picture resolution may be too fine for the slides. Hopefully this pic isn't too large.)

Take Care,

Jeff

Yes, that looks like Bill to me.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Well that explains a lot! Like why we never hear stories of any other 'Oly look-alikes running around the races back then.
But I always thought that the Olympia involvement was late sixties. So you're saying it was early seventies instead? Learn something about my own past every day!

Wonder where that wing design went? I only remember the pop-up Cibié lights. But maybe that's when they became a sponsor and that just happens to be when I started paying better attention.

Thanks

Paul

Olympia sponsorship on Oly was 71-74.

The first wing configuration had the recessed lights that you see in the pics and then they changed it to the popups at about the same time that they went with the newer grille with 4 lights and the small pushbar and ditched the chromed one with 'PJ' in the center.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Jeff - these photos are priceless! Thanks so much for sharing!

Todd Z.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Great photos! Thanks for sharing. These would make a great set of pics for a Bronco race history book.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
good job Todd! It's amazing how much off road racing there was back then. The old school stuff is so awesome I can get lost online looking at all the old pics. Luckily the boss ain't watchin, of course that's me!