• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

the proverbial barn find

grizzmandan

I have just come upon a proverbial barn find, a 72 all original, numbers matching, low miles (3k) running and driving. It has been garage kept since approx 1973 and purchased from the original owner. The truck is also within 50mi of where it was originally purchased, I have the whole back story on this truck.
Just exactly what do you guys think I have? I am sure it is at least a $30k truck. Thoughts?

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
If a solid,little rust original,I would think 30k is a very realistic starting number. Depends on what motor, is it a sport, condition of interior.

Agree, sounds very cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

grizzmandan

OK, here is the rest of the story, The truck belongs to an elderly couple who are basically clueless so I am helping them out. I have not seen the truck yet, this weekend I will get pics and a more detailed evaluation. The elderly gentleman, who seems to be pretty mechanically inclined, says he could see no rust, being a bronco owner I obviously know where to look. Here is the kicker, and get ready to wet your selves, I did, they only paid $5000 for the truck:cry:

OP
OP
G

grizzmandan

Correct on the 3k miles and it was my impression when I talked with them yesterday, that the purchase was very recent. They probably even told me but after a few beers I don't remember.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
All original numbers matching. Have you personally checked those numbers? Never seen numbers matching.

I'm just happy if the frame, glove box tag and the door pillar sticker match. Does it still have the Ford labels on all the hoses?

3K miles or 103K miles or more since the odometer rolls over at 999999/10ths. How worn are the Brake and gas peddle pads? What brand tires are one it and what size?

OP
OP
G

grizzmandan

I have not seen the truck yet. I will give it a thorough going over this weekend, take pics etc. And get back to everyone. The old feller sounded pretty convincing and pretty genuine about it, but I understand the skepticism.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I hope it turns out legit. That would be a stellar find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I paid 4,500 for my used 1974 Bronco with 10,000 miles on it back in 1978. Back in 1974 it was only $5,300.00 new, but you were only making 1.25 an hour.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
They bought it recently. ..their clueless. ...you're helping them out...

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
so you're going to buy it from him? appraise it for him? help him sell it? this story is a bit odd ?:?

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Engine bay pics, under side pics will help determine if it is 3K or 103K on the ticker. If it is only 3K pics should be relatively clean, very minimal road grime etc. Engine bay should be damn near spotless. Anxious to see what you find out.