• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Learned a valuable lesson today

halfcab1969

Loc.
Allentown
First of all I'll start off by saying I'm not a professional mechanic. I started installing my 3.5" lift last weekend, I didn't get very far with basic hand tools and sockets. 50 year old suspension parts just don't want to go anywhere. My wife,god bless her, got me a DeWalt 20v impact wrench for father's day. Let me tell you, with a big ass breaker bar and 1200 ft lbs of breakaway torque everything amazingly comes apart. I guess I just wanted to send a shout out to DeWalt for making such a great tool. If anyone here is currently shopping for an impact, I highly recommend.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the big makita, same effect. they are useful tools that should be added to the arsenal.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
First of all I'll start off by saying I'm not a professional mechanic. I started installing my 3.5" lift last weekend, I didn't get very far with basic hand tools and sockets. 50 year old suspension parts just don't want to go anywhere. My wife,god bless her, got me a DeWalt 20v impact wrench for father's day. Let me tell you, with a big ass breaker bar and 1200 ft lbs of breakaway torque everything amazingly comes apart. I guess I just wanted to send a shout out to DeWalt for making such a great tool. If anyone here is currently shopping for an impact, I highly recommend.

whew! when i saw 'lesson learned' and '50 yr old suspension' I was expecting a not-so-good lesson...yes the impacts are awesome for REMOVING stuff like suspension, harmonic balancers, just be careful when using for installs...better yet just get/rent a 1/2" torque wrench ;)

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Yup, them are pretty amazing! Just a friendly safety reminder for everyone using impact tools. You need to use impact rated sockets (typically they are "flat black" color). If your sockets are "chrome" TYPICALLY they are not for impact use. I have seen some ugly accidents where non-impact tooling was used on impact tools (not pretty).