• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch linkage questions

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My Ace Hardware carries heims. A bit more expensive than that, but no shipping!

I bought mine for $8 apiece from a bolt store. They stocked both male and female threaded heims. The one I used for the adjuster had a 3/8" fine thread to match that on the adjuster. That and a short piece of 3/8" fine all-thread.

OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I bought mine for $8 apiece from a bolt store. They stocked both male and female threaded heims. The one I used for the adjuster had a 3/8" fine thread to match that on the adjuster. That and a short piece of 3/8" fine all-thread.

I found all but one item at Ace, $8 for the heim, but it was fine tap and the only all thread they had was coarse. So I came home empty handed.

I'll try Fastenal later.

OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Here is the follow up in case someone else needs this. Thanks for all the help, I'm happy with this. It did cost me a bit extra, and I guess I wasted money on the new original style push rod, but now I know.

3/8"-24 (fine thread) heim joint (also called rod end)
Three 3/8"-24 nuts
Same length threaded rod (again 3/8"-24 FINE) as the stock size push rod.

But wait, there's more. My lever's pin wasn't long enough. I asked Dad to fix this part since he can weld.

He ground off the back side, gt the existing pin out, and replaced it with a shoulder bolt, cut off just a shave longer than the heim is wide (1/2"), and added a hole for the cotter pin.

Attachments

• IMG_4161.jpg
    IMG_4161.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 35

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I'm happy with this. It did cost me a bit extra, and I guess I wasted money on the new original style push rod, but now I know.

Hey, glad you got it set up like you wanted! Good feeling, eh? Looks very sanitary.
Where'd you buy the original stock type rod? If WH, let me know.

heim joint (also called rod end)

Just in case you were not aware, they actually are Rod Ends, Rod End Bearings, or more accurately I suppose, "Spherical Rod End Bearings" by name and category. Or "Rose Joint" if you're in the UK.
Originally developed by Germany in WWII, the word "Heim Joint" is because the actual H.G. Heim Company made them almost a household name in North America during and after WWII and the name stuck. Like Kleenex and Band-Aid and Coke. Not to mention "Positraction" and "starter solenoid" as generic categories, instead of the specific units they are.
Which is why the Heim company is the only one that originally could call them "Hem joints" and other manufacturing companies, specifically in the automotive aftermarket at least, simply call them spherical rod ends.

Just so's ya know.

Paul

OP
OP
Airmapper

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Thanks Paul. I didn't get it at WH, that was ordered before I knew any better. ;D

Not really anything wrong with the stock push rod, but I guess after realizing how it hooked up I didn't care for the design.

Good info there on that joint. So Heim is kinda like Alemite then. I should print that out and take it to Ace, I literally had to draw the guy a sketch of the thing before he figured out what it was I needed and was able to find it. I called it a rod end and described it's function. I'm good at needing stuff no one else in town has ever asked for though.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And with Kentucky in general, and Bowling Green in particular having such a supply of gearheads and being such a "car" place too!
Guess the guy didn't grow up loving Corvettes and everything automotive.

Heck, probably didn't grow up thinking much about industrial or farm supply stuff either now that I think of it. Since these joints were/are used on just about every intricate implement you can think of.

Well, now they know! Right?
Like you said though, leave it to you to find a need, but not find anyone who knows how to help with it! ;D

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Good job! I also used those rod ends to make my own clutch rod from the pedal to the Z-bar. It makes for a real smooth pedal when all the old bushings are replaced with them.