• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painted Door Hinges?

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is there any way to prevent the paint on freshly painted door hinges from rubbing off when you open/close the door? Do you just keep a little grease on the exposed metal afterwards? I'm considering going with the stainless hinges but read several thread about them not lining up correctly.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
They are going to rub regardless at the hinge point. Most of the paint should stay on them other than the rub point. If you are concerned, I would do as you stated of putting a little grease on them. If they surface rust a little it will be rubbed off the next time the doors are opened etc. I annoy a fan of the stainless hinges. We disassemble the hinges and prep them for rebuild, drill and have them ready for new bushings then we send them out to be yellow ink plated (just as the factory did) which will put a protective coating where the contact points are, then we assemble them and paint them when we paint the tubs.

wsager

They are going to rub regardless at the hinge point. Most of the paint should stay on them other than the rub point. If you are concerned, I would do as you stated of putting a little grease on them. If they surface rust a little it will be rubbed off the next time the doors are opened etc. I annoy a fan of the stainless hinges. We disassemble the hinges and prep them for rebuild, drill and have them ready for new bushings then we send them out to be yellow ink plated (just as the factory did) which will put a protective coating where the contact points are, then we assemble them and paint them when we paint the tubs.

How do you prep them after the zinc plating?

KBUCK1

I painted my stainless hinges 4 yrs ago and cant see any ​paint missing. Doors line up as good as any bronco I've seen