• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opinions on side steps

tommyg

Contributor
I have a set of ProCar seats in my Bronco. Really like them overall, but the high side bolster makes it really difficult to get in especially with 3 1/2" overall lift.

Been searching for the right solution with side steps, and have been leaning towards the power amp setup, though it means removing my side tank (which for whatever reason, I can't find a gas pump that will pump into anyway, a whole nother issue).

Other option, Driven 4x4 sells these, which look extremely nice:

5uof35.jpg

$450 plus $300 for powdercoating, and then will need to be welded to the frame...so I'm getting closer to the cost of the amp steps.

Just thought I'd throw it out to the group for feedback on both of these options. Certainly appreciate it...

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
The pictured steps may save some damage to your body work and they look great. Kinda depends on your intended usage. I think the AMP steps are a better bet for lower profile people. Seems to me that they can get a little closer to the ground.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The pictured steps may save some damage to your body work and they look great. Kinda depends on your intended usage. I think the AMP steps are a better bet for lower profile people. Seems to me that they can get a little closer to the ground.

"Lower profile people" I haven't heard of that term before, they usually call me short. I guess I am more than Lower Profile, like lower portly profile as in short and fat.

If you have trouble pumping into your side tank pump with the handle upside down. for me it works better.

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
"Lower profile people" I haven't heard of that term before, they usually call me short. I guess I am more than Lower Profile, like lower portly profile as in short and fat.

If you have trouble pumping into your side tank pump with the handle upside down. for me it works better.

Thanks, going to give it a go today with the pump upside down!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was not a fan, but my wife is, so I now have them. Love them, I think they would greatly enhance your side impact potential. And the wifey can use them to hop up.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like the nerf bar style myself, but add some grip tape or something to the "step" portion or things can get dicey when wet.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I am on this mission too.
I am liking the Duff step/rocker skis. Way up out of the way but still a step.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
IMG_20170421_165359829%201_zpsrqwklcoz.jpg

Driven auto as well but i think a version of what Duff sells

Last edited:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If your using steps that close to the rockers I would put on clear paint protection film on those nice rockers to keep them that way.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
If your using steps that close to the rockers I would put on clear paint protection film on those nice rockers to keep them that way.

Oh...I guess the toe of your boot would hit the rocker when you stepped on the step....Didn't think about that....

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
The only drawbacks to the AMP steps is.
1. price
2. the price to replace if you rub a rock or stump or ?
I have the Duffs and are very happy with them,they are the 1/8 thick.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I'm also looking at options. I really like those Driven 4x4 steps for a couple reasons...they will sit lower than the Duffs by a couple inches...when you look at Duffs the primary function is protection, not step - and they look to only give you maybe 2" lower than the floorboard. Secondly, a rocker cover usually requires screws or welding to the rocker, at least the ones I've been looking at, and I'm not too keen to do that after I replace my rusted rockers with new steel.

Here is the rocker cover that I like but no step function unfortunately...so the Duff model would offer advantages over this one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
I definitely don't want skis, my offroading is minimal at best...and I do not want to drill into the side of the truck. Really like the look of the Driven steps, but not sure how I feel about welding them to the frame (what if I need to remove my 2nd tank?).

I plan to have this truck for the long haul, so will pay the extra $ for the amp steps (as outrageous as they are priced) if if makes sense...but I'm not stoked on losing my 2nd tank and actually really like the look of the fixed steps.

first world problems I guess.

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
Still struggling with this decision, would love to hear from anyone who's put in the power steps in their EB. We have them in our '07 Denali and love them. My pro/con list to date:

- roughly $700 more for the power steps once I take into account powder coating and welding costs for the nerf bars

- don't love the idea of losing my aux tank, though I've been having issues with it taking gas so really haven't been able to use it

- don't do any serious off roading, so no worries there with the power steps

- my wife and I are both fairly tall (6 foot and she's 5'10)...but the power steps being lower is a really nice draw. Still quite a step up with the bars (but at least I'm not slapping a straight leg into the truck and pulling myself up)

-am told the power steps are a fairly easy install, though would love to hear from someone who's done it.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I love my amp steps. Everyone who has had the chance to see and use them love them as well. I constantly get threats that I am not allowed to let certain wives near my bronco or get in it....

OP
OP
tommyg

tommyg

Contributor
I dont have mine installed but here is one that has them
84f81b9bdb0386d9c9dd2823f4337a21

Interesting...I've got a '15 Wrangler as well, put in Ace engineering steps this past week (it's a Rubicon and allows to keep on the Rubi rails). Never thought about modifying for the Bronco, they seem so geared towards the underbody bolts of the Wrangler.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Still struggling with this decision, would love to hear from anyone who's put in the power steps in their EB. We have them in our '07 Denali and love them. My pro/con list to date:

- roughly $700 more for the power steps once I take into account powder coating and welding costs for the nerf bars

- don't love the idea of losing my aux tank, though I've been having issues with it taking gas so really haven't been able to use it

- don't do any serious off roading, so no worries there with the power steps

- my wife and I are both fairly tall (6 foot and she's 5'10)...but the power steps being lower is a really nice draw. Still quite a step up with the bars (but at least I'm not slapping a straight leg into the truck and pulling myself up)

-am told the power steps are a fairly easy install, though would love to hear from someone who's done it.

The $700 price concern reminds me of one of my favorite comebacks when someone doesn't get my hourly union wage, "The quality remains long after the cost is forgotten."

Seems to me someone hear posted pics or video in the past jacking up their rig under the power step to show it's strength?

Those are my two "pros"
Con-I wouldn't want to lose my second tank either, but if you don't use it, lose it