• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on. - Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MD 68 Half Cab Feeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue78

Loc.
Annapolis Area
Hello,

I am getting to a point in this build where it is decision time and I am hoping you guys can help provide some advice. I got this thing back in April and have been going at a pretty good clip to get it where it is and now I am trying to decide if I sell it as is or hold it until I can do a V8 swap. I have figured out I like building these things a little more than I like trying to drive them in Maryland/DC traffic and I have a '72 inbound that I am going to start on next week for a friend. This one still needs a few things buttoned up but here is a list of what I have done so far, what do you think it is worth? I'm not sure if I want to sell it but the market seems to be nuts right now.

Pics of the entire build so far https://goo.gl/photos/YmFdztib1mhJaCRC8

It is a U14 with the 6cyl and 3 speed. Still has the bench seat that I am going to head out to reupholster in a couple weeks (I have a friend that owns a hot rod shop who is going to let me come out and learn to do the seat). Seats will be done in white and hounds tooth.
Glass is Ok but there is a ding in the windshield. It runs, drives (2wd and 4wd) and stops like a champ but I have not taken it any great distance yet since I started the tear-down as soon as I got it. It gets more attention with the windshield down than anything I have ever been in.

I am still getting the weather stripping on so I don't have any pics with the top on but that is my goal for this weekend.

New:
Front fenders
rear quarters (welded in and welded the rear seam)
complete front floor section
delux inner and outer rockers (not the cheap repops)
striker posts
power disc conversion on D30
master cylinder
brake lines to prop valve and prop valve
almost everything for the E brakes
front end bushings
radius arm bushings
adjustable steering linkage knuckle to knuckle and drop pitman arm
Wild horses 2.5" lift with 3.5" in the rear to clear 31's uncut (you wouldn't notice unless I told you)
bilstien shocks
coil spring cups
spring retainers
Weather stripping
window tracks
body mounts
bulkhead
speedo cable and gear
door and ignition locks
hinge mounting plates
steering wheel
steering stabilizer and bracket
most nuts and bolts
raptor liner complete floor and bulkhead
cleaned and resealed the lip of the top, it was in good shape

The guy I bought this from has receipts going back to 2004
From Previous owner:
centech wiring harness
long block (about 4 years ago if I remember right)
electric wipers

Some notes:
I por-15'd most of the frame after grinding it down with a wire wheel. I have not done the engine cradle because I was waiting to do the V8 swap. I was also going to replace the inner fender metal when I did the swap so there is a little rust in the normal spot up in the corner.
The paint was obviously done in a garage and shows accordingly but a lot of the metal under is brand new so keep that in mind.
Wheels are plastidipped in white, black underneath (I don't like the 17" wheels personally and if I keep it I'll be looking to go back to 15")
I'm waiting to get everything on before I undercoat it
Debating on carpet, will do if I keep it
I have a C4 w/ adapter sitting in the garage waiting for the V8 swap
I am trying to get all of the gauges to work, figured out they were grounding to the housing and now I am tracking down the other issues like the fuel sender. I'm sure there are other issues I will need to fix to get them all to work.
I welded all of the holes on the bed rails so unless you want to do a lot of drilling you can't make this a wagon.
I relocated the gas cap to the inside of the bed to keep the fenders smooth. Only an issue if you're not tall enough to reach over, then you have to drop the tailgate. I fixed the tailgate so it opens and closes nicely with no sag.

I'm sure I am missing some things but I am really just trying to figure out if I am at a good point to sell, in too deep, or would be smarter to just keep it and do the V8 swap. Let me know what you guys think.

Blue

JCBombardier

Wow. That's a ton of work in four months. Looks awesome.

What kind of V8 swap are you thinking? (Fuel injected, stock 302 w/ carb, 351, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

blue78

Loc.
Annapolis Area
Wow. That's a ton of work in four months. Looks awesome.

What kind of V8 swap are you thinking? (Fuel injected, stock 302 w/ carb, 351, etc)

I was thinking a nice 302 to start and FiTech down the road if I think I need it. I was close to pulling the trigger on a 347 stroker but decided to wait and see if there is a market for a 6cyl.

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
You have already done some mods...so I don't think your in a 6cy market. I vote to go with a 302, mildly built and finish that beauty out. Very nice documentation on your build, that adds to the value.

OP
OP
B

blue78

Loc.
Annapolis Area
You have already done some mods...so I don't think your in a 6cy market. I vote to go with a 302, mildly built and finish that beauty out. Very nice documentation on your build, that adds to the value.

That was kind of my fear. If this is the prevailing feedback then I will just have to put her away and start saving for the swap. Luckily I'll get to build another one in the interim so the itch shouldn't be too bad.

DC_Gearhead

Dude!! You've caught up and passed me!! I saw it 2 weeks in and you were tearing it down. I'm a thoroughly impressed.

OP
OP
B

blue78

Loc.
Annapolis Area
Dude!! You've caught up and passed me!! I saw it 2 weeks in and you were tearing it down. I'm a thoroughly impressed.

Yeah, apparently I have a crazy amount of free time. I just put the door seals on today and it completely jacked the door alignment so I'll have to fiddle with that but I hope to have the top on it tomorrow and get a few pics.

Since I'm not getting any interest with the 6cyl I am going to put it away once my buddy's '69 gets here and start saving for the V8 swap.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
That's a cool little bronco. With all the work you have done I would keep it. If you were to sell it do you have a number you would want? I am in Maryland too (eastern shore) I am always looking for other broncos!

OP
OP
B

blue78

Loc.
Annapolis Area
That's a cool little bronco. With all the work you have done I would keep it. If you were to sell it do you have a number you would want? I am in Maryland too (eastern shore) I am always looking for other broncos!

I had a number I was thinking of but it looks like the smart thing to do is wait on the V8 swap and then put it up. Every time I drive it I think getting rid of it is going to be a huge mistake but I love building them and you've got to fund the habit somehow.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.