• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"undercoating" on new floor pans

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Replacing most of my floor sheet metal (hopefully not the braces). The panels come with black primer (?). I know various things are used, but this is a frame-ON job, I live in the northwest with no salty roads.

Some people prep and paint the bottom of the pans.

What should I do to the underside of this metal?

Thanks,

Jim

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
since you will be welding it, id coat with weld thru primer first. Once its in you could epoxy prime it then hit it with raptor liner or the paint you'll use if your planning on a repaint.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lots of people like to raptor liner it, but I used KBS rustseal. It's a water cured epoxy that's tough as nails. I mixed in ceramic microspheres to help cut down on sound and heat. It looks like raptor liner when it's on, but it's water cured so it gets stronger with water and you can beat it with a hammer and nothing will happen. impervious to salt, oil, chemicals. Rust Blaster (a sponsor here) is pretty much the same thing. I shot it on with a cheap Harbor Freight ($9.99 on sale) spray gun and just tossed the gun when I was done. It's pretty much impossible to get off once it's on so I didn't want to use my nice gun. Wear an approved mask, gloves, and I disposable paint outfit. Like I said, water cured so you don't want it in your lungs, it will never come out of your clothes, and your skin will come off before it does.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
After it's installed, WASH it with soap & lots of water. Then seam-seal it. Then prime/seal & PAINT it inside & out. Then apply common rubberized undercoating outside, and Peel&Seal inside before painting & carpeting.