• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drilling out the remains of a broken set screw

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I drilled all the way through it and this one goes into a through-hole on the D-shaft on the steering column. I also thought of trying to collapse the screw remains as Sam suggested so I'm going to give that shot too. Just didn't have much time to mess around with it last night.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
When I got home on Friday, I had a bit of time to look at things closer and I realized that when I drilled out the hole, I got a huge curly metal shaving that came out of the hole. As I looked closer, I realized this was the threads of the former screw coming out of the hole. So the old u-joint came off the column D-end very easily and the new steering shaft has now been installed and the truck is back on the road again.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions!

Todd Z.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Whoo Hoo spent more time worrying about it than the time to fix it. Love it when a plan comes together.