• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie requesting some advice

Mark_Sacramento

I recently started looking to purchase a classic 66-77 Bronco; not because I know anything about them, but because they look really cool and I've always wanted one. I know very little when it comes to tech talk, so putting a value to these classics is tough when you aren't familiar with time/materials costs. If I had a $50K budget, what features would I look for, what's easy to fix, better to rebuild myself or turn key? Any help to get me on the right road would be appreciated.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
$50k should get you a decent turnkey rig. Disk brake front end (d-44), power steering and brakes, possibly an upgraded transmission and fuel injection. Body should be solid on it as well with decent paint in that price range. Find someone local who knows Broncos and make friends with them. Lots of flippers in the market so be sure you know what you are getting before you spend the money. Also I would suggest you drive a few before you lay down your hard earned cash, they do look cool but they are 40 years old! Welcome and good luck on your quest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gavindg

Loc.
Westlake Village
For $50k, you should not have to do anything to a EB unless you have other customization's you want to do.
First Step is to determine if you want a LUBR (Lifted Uncut BRonco) or one that has been modified for trail if desired (Rear fenders rounded out). From there it is just finding one that has what your looking for. Otherwise for that price you should have PS, PB, EFI (if desired).
Also just remember if your in CA there is SMOG checks after 75.

OP
OP
M

Mark_Sacramento

That is a nice rig!
For that price there is alot of options out there though.
Look on the for sale here by members.

Really appreciate the input. This one is just down the road 30 miles, so it helps a bit. I'll take a look at the inventory here.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
You're already ahead by coming here first.
We've had many in the last few years that bought one from a flipper or worse then came here to get help fixing things that should not have been wrong for as much as they paid.

Your budget should get one with no major flaws.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
You're already ahead by coming here first.
We've had many in the last few years that bought one from a flipper or worse then came here to get help fixing things that should not have been wrong for as much as they paid.

Your budget should get one with no major flaws.

Like button pressed! And should have disc brakes on all four corners for $55K imo.

andyp

Contributor
A little over my budget list price, but one of my favorites out there on the market right now. Thoughts? https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1971/ford/bronco/100903396

Looks over priced to me. For 55K I want a hard top and a spare tire. I don't like where the exhaust dumps out just over the rear axles. For that price you would think he would take the time to clean the engine bay and tuck some wires up under the dash. I also don't trust the black coating in the interior. It looks kind of crusty around the door sills. Undercoating also looks a little bumpy. Ask to see the frame VIN and the glove box door VIN tag. Go look at it. Vacaville is a short drive from you.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
If you get down to San Diego area I would definitely check out Mark at Beach City Broncos. He's had a few nice ones I've seen and really knows Broncos.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
To have that kind of dough to spend on a toy is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, if you're lucky, so I say make it count. Go online and look at pics of early Broncos and find one that you would drool over in the driveway and your wife will think you're crazy because you can stand there and stare at a vehicle.

Attaching pic of my ideal Bronco, don't know who's it is but it's always how I've pictured an EB. Mine is an uncut so I'm going a different route, but if I had my choice, I'd build/buy one like this. Good luck and have fun

Attachments

• IdealBronco.jpg
    IdealBronco.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 69

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That one in Vacaville does look overpriced to me too. Not that Broncos have not been selling in the 40, 50 and up to 70k range regularly at the auctions, but there are examples of why not to jump on a high-priced nice looking rig.
Get two guys in the same room that just have to have it, and it will sell for that. But unfortunately for all the sellers, there are not always those two bidders in the room.

First off, here's a perfect example of what you can get for HALF of what the one in your link is asking: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1969-ford-bronco/6299762135.html
For that price you could do what you want to make it better and still be under your budget. Assuming it does not have any hidden gems that is.
And as the others were saying, there are LOTS of those potential problems hidden under paint and bedliner. Not to mention fiberglass and glued on street signs (yep) and "rust-free" panels that look more like swiss cheese when you get closer.

The one I was actually looking for was a super nice looking rig with all the right moves. bright Orange (great color for Broncos by the way) with all the bells and whistles other than some strange choice in wheels. Not that they don't appeal to some, but they weren't right for me. But the rig was nice and has been advertised for $45k to $43k.
For almost two years!

Yes, it's been on Craigslist on and off for way more than a year. Possibly more than two even, but I wasn't paying that close attention. It's been mia before so maybe it will come back. Or maybe he finally sold it. But for $10 grand less than your link, it settled there with no takers.

So look both ways before jumping in with both feet is what we're saying. A better deal will almost always come by.
I agree that the one you posted is a nice looking rig. But what makes it worth that much is what I want to know. Where are all the details and extra bits like the hard top that was mentioned. And does it have any real historical value for that money.

Paul

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
There are problems with this one, it was discussed on the forum recently " https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ct...299762135.html "

There are a lot of great Broncos in your price range, keep you eyes open, avoid the "dealers" and ask for help.

This is a sample of what I would want in a 50k Bronco: wheels, tires, roll cage, nice seats, good top, modified engine + fuel injection, good paint and body, etc. This is one of mine 427 stroker fuel injected.

Attachments

• bronco side.jpg
    bronco side.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 78
  • bronco side 2.jpg
    bronco side 2.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Bronco interior.jpg
    Bronco interior.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 1968 bronco.jpg
    1968 bronco.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
As mention before, when you find one that peaks your interest, post it up here and we'll either pick it apart or give it praises. Most likely one of us here will be close enough to go look at with you or for you. It's a win win for you in the end.

Last edited: