• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Voltage Gauge clicking/moving when truck is off

Hawaii

Not an electrical troubleshooter.....The voltage gauge is clicking and jumping - when the truck is turned off? Any help is appreciated. Where to start?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would think that should not be hot when off, depending on wiring. Is it a voltage gauge or amp meter?

OP
OP
H

Hawaii

Amp meter. It has always been fine. Just this morning, turned the truck off and hear a clicking and the amp meter is jumping around? Was going to replace voltage regulator as a start, but I haven't messed w any electrical (on purpose). I'll check the wiring and ground on the gauge as well.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would think you have a draw on current somewhere if its moving when off.

OP
OP
H

Hawaii

So it magically "fixed" itself on the drive home - which might be even worse. Put a meter on it - battery is fine. Right up to the point where I start it - jumps to 16v almost 17v. Add it to the list. Thanks for the reply!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK, you said it was ammeter but your reading volts?

I think you mean you are reading voltage with another meter and its hitting 17. To high, have an Autozone like place check your voltage regulator. Check grounds, etc.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep. Either your voltage regulator is bad (very likely) or the wiring between it and the alternator is bad.
If it's an old regulator it uses mechanical points inside. That might have been the clicking and the ammeter bouncing. How far was the meter going? All the way pegged, or just a tick in one direction?

As az said, 16 and 17 volts is too high even at initial startup. You should rarely read over 14.5 with a good Ford charging system, but yours is quite a bit higher and consistent with a failed regulator.

But the reason it's only "most likely" and not a guarantee, is that the wiring can be suspect as well.
Check the condition of the connectors and wiring in the engine compartment and see if anything is loose, broken, cracked, rusty or otherwise not quite happy looking.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
H

Hawaii

thank you for the replies! they really do help a new owner like me. i changed the voltage regulator, tested the battery at idle - back to normal. but now....its miss firing or just running like it almost wants to die. the ammeter almost always reads d15 now, but at idle will jump between c15 and d15? checked plugs and wires- good. should i still look at the regulator? all was good right before the voltage regulator issue....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I'd keep digging. It's not impossible maybe, but I don't think it's likely that the ammeter would show both charging and discharging if it wasn't from some outside influence.
Any chance you can have someone watch the ammeter and call out it's actions while you hold the meter probes on the battery? You might see the voltage drop to battery voltage each time the charge stops. If not, then something is up with the gauge or the wiring.

But it's a first step anyway.

Paul