• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Adventure Bronco getting ready for some new journeys!

OP
OP
Z Bronco

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
The tank before install. The tank it replaced was at NWMP 23 gallon tank that I bought from K Bar S many years ago. K7A4124EB57883_1000018.jpg

photo-5.jpg

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
have a home for the 23 gallon Warren! (if you wanted to ship) :cool:

OP
OP
Z Bronco

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
Sorry Tasker, that old tank is already spoken for. The installation of the BCB Skid plate was fairly straight forward, I used washers to take up the gap (1/8") between the skid plate mounting points and the unistruts. photo-6.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-5.jpg

OP
OP
Z Bronco

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
Got my skid plate made for the front 12 gallon NWMP tank. I used 3/16" plate which should help protect the tank. Getting ready to install the tank, and then move on to the fuel lines.

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Can't wait to do this someday with my own kids. Keep posting updates!

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
LOVE the old school louvers on the hood and the military trailer. More pics and specs of trailer please.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I met you at the round up in 2009 and your cross country story with your kids is still one of my all time favorite. I hope to make memories with my son in my bronco when he gets older. Great pics, good luck with your projects and maybe we will see you on the east coast again some time!

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Awesome pics. Makes me want to hop in my truck now. So many beautiful places to see. Thanks for sharing.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Maybe we will see you at the 2014 MEB Roundup?

You sure had one hell of an adventure with the kids the last time that many of us were inspired by and would love to do one day ourselves!

Hope to see you again soon!

OP
OP
Z Bronco

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I am trying to get my Bronco ready to go again, it would be fun to go the the 2014 MEB Roundup. Life tossed a few curves causing delays, but I am making slow and steady progress in changes to my Bronco. Main things left to do include finishing the EFI conversion, Explorer serpentine setup, and installing the new suspension. Will keep posting updates including more information on the trailer.

OP
OP
Z Bronco

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
Nest trip will be determined by time and money, there are several that are rolling around in my head. A return to the MEB roundup and then up through New England is one. I would like to finish the Dusy Ersheim trail (broke a band in the tranny last time, only had D and N). Would like to take the ferry up to Alaska to explore and then come back via the Alcan highway. There is more.

OP
OP
Z Bronco

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
Installed my 12 gallon front tank with the skid plate I made today. Next up is the EFI fuel lines to the main tank, and the Carter electric fuel pump and fuel line from the aux tank to the main tank.

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

OP
OP
Z Bronco

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
This post is titled Adventures in Fuel Lines...

I bought a fuel line kit from a vendor thinking that would save me some time, this was purchased almost four years ago. When I went to install the lines, nothing was very close to fitting, plus the barbed ends on the hard lines were all 3/8"s which wouldn't work with the fuel rail spring locks, or the return line on the EFI tank I had previously installed. My neighbor next door has the same kit and his went in with just minor tweaking, but the bends in my lines were not the same and after trying hard to get them to work I decided to make my own fuel lines.

Now, I have this knack of purchasing something for my bronco only to have that item updated/improved within a short time after my purchase. This was the case with both my BCB EFI tank (non AN fittings at the tank) and the fuel lines. One issue was the straight send and return lines on the rear tank. The fuel hose would kink in the 90 degree bend to the hard lines. Not wanting to drop the rear tank and weld on fittings so AN fitting could be used (which is what the new tanks are set up for), you will see in the pictures what I came up with. Both the main and aux tanks have the vent lines plugged, I have not had issues that some have had with fuel smells and such (side note: with the cover off of the vapor tank behind the drivers seat I could see that it would fill up with gas often, and I felt like I had a molotov cocktail in the cab of the vehicle and that is why I removed the stock vapor system). Several trips to different parts stores provided 5/16" barbed fittings so I could connect the hard lines with the fuel rail spring locks and as well as the return line on the rear tank. I did need an adapter for the 3/8" to 5/16" send hard line barb. I am using my aux tank as a large fuel can with the EFI setup, so I am using a Carter fuel pump to transfer gas into the return line when the main tank gets low. I was limited as where to mount the Carter as I wanted it protected by the BCB belly pan/skid plate. A 3/8" barb with a 5/16" fitting for the T fitting return line was purchased at Napa. Once again, hose kink issues combined with operation of the E brake made for a tubing bender solution allowing full operation of the E brake. I also used hard line from the aux tank to the Carter pump to put the fuel filter on top of the frame. I heated and bent the inlet on the Explorer fuel rail to clear the wiring and the firewall (351W and 2"BL), and widened the fuel rail with 5"16 EFI hose for the 351W. I may need to make one more bend in the return hard line on the frame as the return hose wants to contact the body, however I put another hose over the return hose in the area of slight contact (a fuel hose skid plate). I have done this in the past with no issues, but will keep an eye on it. Next is to make all the electrical connections to the fuel tanks and when I get there, check for leaks.

Even though the fuel line kit I purchased didn't work for me, the vendor I bought it from continues to improve designs as the bronco world evolves. I will be buying other products from them in the future. No two broncos are the same in my experience and sometimes stuff just happens. What I learned in making my own fuel lines was well worth it.

IMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

OP
OP
Z Bronco

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I should call this thread now "Adventure in getting my Bronco back on the road/trail." Long story short, my job situation changed, thus major delays. Now I am back working on the Bronco, and having fun at it. The WH rear springs and new U bolts are in as well as the new front coils, cups, degreed radius bushings, C bushings, and front shock mounts. Getting ready to weld the rear WH Shock Jock mounts in. Now to figure out what shocks I am going to use.
IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Planning on another cross country trip for the 50th?

We'd love to see you make it out to the East Coast Bronco Roundup again!

Next year will be a back to back event in conjunction with the largest Ford show in the world which we're working with for the Bronco 50th feature.

uploadfromtaptalk1444275485034.jpg