• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BONES approved

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Got the pertronix ignitor and coil in today and made no difference. It Started up fine but stalled when put in drive.. Started it up a few more times and played with the mixture screws but no change.

Let it sit for a bit then tried to start it again and just got clicking/grinding noises from the starter area at which point I called it a day. No clue why that just randomly started happening but I have a newer solenoid and mini starter already in the garage from my other project so I'm just going to swap those in next and try again.

I'm more concerned that the new ignitor/coil didn't seem to help much. Any other ideas why it would be stalling out? Just put new accelerator pump and floats in when I rebuilt the carb.

4lofun

You have rebuilt the carb. Changed pickup and coil..have you checked timing.spark plugs and thier gap..
I can help look at it Wed or Fri night...I have fixed a few things in my time...
Rebuild ing the carb did not help at all ??

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I will assume you have set the fuel level after rebuild. Little trickier on the Edelbrock but haven't done it. Assume you also have the carb manual but if not here it is.
Go back and make sure your coil and pertronix swap wiring is correct. You don't want to start compounding issues.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/tech-center/dl/carb-owners-manual.pdf

Can still be carb issues but check all the simple obvious first. Inspect all your fuel hoses and vacuum lines and make sure there not too spongy. This includes the line to your modulator on the C4. You maybe able to pull that line and plug it to eliminate the Modulator (test wise) but not 100% sure what you'll see here. Issue can still be mixture screws or PCV system routing.

Take up 4lofun's offer...he's wicked smhaaat too;D

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Ok thanks 4lo I appreciate the offer, Friday night would probably work where in NH are you? I have not checked timing yet, was in the process of doing so (or at least trying to) and my old timing light broke. I do think the timing is off though so that is at the top of the list. Didn't replace spark plugs either but thats cheap and easy so I may as well.

The carb rebuild was my first and my feeling is something is not right with it. When you say set fuel level are you referring to adjusting the floats? If so I measured them and they were set at the distance in the manual. I'm almost just thinking of trying a new carb and seeing what happens.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
Dave hit on an item (PCV valve) that has been known to create the symptoms that you are having. If it's sticking, dirty or stuck open, the engine will start and run but will often die when put in gear as it runs lean due to the uncontrolled air being pulled in.

4lofun

I am in Concord and work till 5 ..I can head down right after work and try to help out.

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Alright lots of good info, thanks. It wasn't running great when I got it but at least it would drive so some of your posts got me thinking what I've done since. I changed the PCV valve and moved around the mixture screws, which is what a few of you have pointed to you as potential problems.

I'll have most of the day Friday to work on it. Going to replace the plugs, switch back to the original PCV, try to figure out the timing and use the vacuum gauge to set the screws.

4lo I'll send you a message with my phone number, if you want you can call me when you get out of work Friday and I'll let you know if I've made any progress.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
you can always plug the PCV vacuum port to verify or rule it out.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Nice find and looks like a keeper! Wish I could offer some advice but not good with carbs! I am confident that you will get it figured out though! ;D

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
Just wanted to introduce the 1970 that I picked up last week. Has a few rust spots but not bad at all. It was running a little rough, the idle was dropping significantly from park to drive so the idle needed to be set way too high just to prevent stalling out in gear. I played around with the mixture screws for a while but didn't seem to be helping so now I'm just rebuilding the edelbrock 1405 to see if that helps.

Don't know much about whats under the hood yet, doesn't appear to have many upgrades there though. Only other plans for it at the moment are power steering and brakes. I want to just drive it for a while before I get carried away with too much.

ahhh so you're the guy who beat me to it? I couldnt make it to see him the first day he had it posted. If you didnt go back with the cash it was mine! oh well! ;)

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Haha yup thats me, the guy that sold it was blown away by how many people wanted to buy it. Now to just get it running properly, I seem to find a way to make them worse instead of fixing em.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Let me just point out that Bones Crew is a great bunch of folks. Each and every one a Class Act.

One of these damn years, I will make it to one of your gatherings. :)

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
you can start with the Round Up in two weeks!!

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Quick update, got the pertronix ignitor and coil installed, changed the spark plugs and still was stalling out. Today I switched back to the PCV setup that was originally in the car and I trimmed the ends of a few of the hoses jus to make sure there was no hidden cracks. And its back to driving, just drove it around the block a few times with no problems.

I don't even think the PCV valve itself is the issue but it seems to be the grommet that holds the valve that is helping which seems strange to me. In the pictures the black one is what came in the car, I had the chrome cap with the hole in the top already and I thought it looked better so that's what I had been trying to use. The valve only seems to work when I use the black rubber piece that sits right in the valve cover.

Anyway it feels good to make some progress and have it driving again but still needs some fine tuning. The idle is pretty high in park but sounds perfect when I put it in gear, not sure if that is a timing issue as I still haven't set the timing properly. I also have a complete power steering setup on the way which is next on the list. Any local guys have experience modifying the manual steering shaft to fit a stock power steering setup?

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).jpg
    photo 1 (1).jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 73
  • photo 2 (1).jpg
    photo 2 (1).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 64
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 60

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
Glad to see you figured it out. Funny how some of the blingy chrome stuff causes unwanted problems! My EB came with a box of that stuff and the PCV was ripped out and plugged off. Must have kicked the PO's butt too!

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Ok not so sure I got it figured out. Yesterday it went back to stalling out, I had to adjust the carb screws again and was able to get it back to driving. I'm not sure what happened overnight but it drove one day and the next it wouldn't (I didn't change anything in between).

Anyway after readjusting the screws it ran again but its running too rich. Seems like the only way I can get it running requires me to adjust the screws to be too rich. I'm going to do some more research and see if I can figure out why that would be the case and go from there.

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Ok another update, the past few days I've been playing with the timing, mixtures screws and the idle screw trying to get the this baby to run. I'm not sure exactly what I did but she seems to be running pretty good now. I set the timing around 10 and then fiddled with the idle and mixture.

It'll be nice to get past the tuning issues so I can move on to other things. Need to hook up the horn, e-brake and seat belts to help pass inspection. I just got a complete stock power steering setup too but I might hold off on putting it in for a few weeks.

OP
OP
Vin218

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
Few more updates mostly because I've been on vacation for the past week and not ready to be back at work. Been driving all over town with no issues, have yet to try the highway but up to 50 mph or so she runs good.

Swapped in a 3g alternator and hooked up an amp and speakers. I'm running a rockford fosgate marine amp under the passenger seat which is powering 2 6.5 Polk speakers and 2 6x9 Infiniti speakers all of which are marine rated. I ran a Bluetooth adapter directly in to the amp so I can just use my phone to play music with no head unit. Speaker positioning is temporary but very happy with the sound and how it works so far.

Also got the hard top off, put in a new Grant wheel and a stock style tach. I also ordered the wild horses lower steering shaft and some Billstein 5100's that should be here any day now. Looking forward to having power steering and a smoother ride.

Attachments

• photo 23.jpg
    photo 23.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 67
  • photo 22.jpg
    photo 22.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 69
  • photo 31.jpg
    photo 31.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 73
  • photo 32.jpg
    photo 32.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 69
  • photo 12.jpg
    photo 12.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4989.jpg
    IMG_4989.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 83
  • photo 24.jpg
    photo 24.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 60

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
She's looking good, your driving her, and your enjoying it now..That's all that matters.:cool:
Keep with the upgrades and pics.