• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Replacement Coil in a Pinch

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I need readily available coil from O'riellys, Pep Boys, Autozone etc in a hurry.

What is the best brand?

Also, do I need to bypass my resister wire when installing a new coil?

O'riellys had MSD and Accell.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I've ran both with my duraspark . Had to remove the resistor for the accel but had to keep it i line for the MSD . It depends on if the coil is internally resisted or not.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I'v had my Accel coil for over 20 years running Duraspark I in my 1974. Just get the right one. 8140 or 8140c works well in the stock lay down position where i had it for 15 years and in the upright position mounted on the head for the last 5 years. Never had a problem even running desert trails out here in 110 degree heat.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some of the companies actually make coils with the Duraspark contacts for the horse-shoe connector. That's what I would go with.
You could double check, but anything with the factory connectors are likely expected to run with the factory resistor wire.

Paul

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks all! Was heading out for a wheelin trip and needed something quick. They didn't have the accel but the had a stock replacement with the right terminals and an MSD. I got both just in case but installed the stock replacement first. Will find out how it runs today.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If yours still has the Duraspark horshoe connector, your parts store should be able to get you the one that's simply "plug-n-play."
That way there's no guessing whether a resistor is needed or not.

Attachments

• imagesDOOBJVS4.jpg
    imagesDOOBJVS4.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 15
  • msd-8205_w_ml.jpg
    msd-8205_w_ml.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 21

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
74 Bronco with duraspark didnt use the horseshoe connector. They use the old rubber connector.

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
up till I installed the hei ,I was running a coil I found at a buddys house that fit the mount no idea what it came from and he told me it was there when he moved in that coil was there for 5 yrs plus .just got lucky

SHX669

Bronco Guru
The thing about previously owned vehicles - never can tell what mods were done without looking. My '68 and '76 both had the horseshoe connector with The Duraspark II.
But the point i guess is (lol) last summer i tried to replace my " horseshoe " MSD coil and was under the impression they quit making it so i bought a normal threaded stud terminal one and used " eye" connec tors.