• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Waiting in the ER

POPPAWS BRONCO

Loc.
Horn Lake, Ms.
Well today's been fun finally meet a guy in my town with a 74. Had a good log chat about his Ranger. Go back home and start working on my floor pans and next thing I know bloods everywhere as the grinder was ripped outta my hands and hits me in the forehead. Guess I'll need stitches. Ahhh the Bronco life!!!! I had just told myself I need a face shield.
9ae9a1204c799621c38562e0109c2474.jpg
dbc211a61ddd288b54e47094d517a08c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Someday it will be cool - you can tell your grand kids you're really Harry Potter! ;D

OP
OP
POPPAWS BRONCO

POPPAWS BRONCO

Loc.
Horn Lake, Ms.
Yeah I have a stock room full of them as a safety coordinator I just proved what not using PPE will get you. Had gloves and glasses on just didn't have a face Shield at the house or I would have had it on.

Hey!!! Let me hold a dollar I'm in the middle of a restore here!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Man it happens. Almost took the end of my thumb off last summer sharpening some mower blades. Something I've done sense I was a youngsters ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 119

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess its good I'm older. I'm so slow I usually can't get to far out in front of what I'm doing to hurt myself. Cause I still hurt from all that stuff that hurt me when I was young:)

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I had a small cutting wheel explode and send me in for stitches. Had safety glasses on but now I wear the shield. Time to change your user name to chucky

71 CA Bronco

Yep, grinders will get you. They have even killed people with a blow to the head. Good thing you can still talk about it.

I for one have been sent to the hospital myself (actually on more than one occasion for other injuries). Wife just shakes her head and fires up the car. I was using a cutting blade on my grinder and the exhaust I was working on fell out of the vice. Out of instinct I grabed for the exhaust and laid my arm across the wheel. Got it right across the wrist almost cut through some serious stuff. As it was I had to get it stitched up that day then surgery after to repair a tendon. I wasn't wearing gloves.

I'm afraid to mention I'm a safety guy too. Been in the safety business for 25 years and a EHS consultant for the last 14. We make good safety meeting topics. ;D I consider the injuries laboratory testing. One of my standard lines is you don't want to do that and then don't ask me how I know.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
This always happens to people who know better. Some people too dumb to know anything get away with the stupidest shit. Everyone bleeds the same and you always have enough time to properly protect yourself. It took me a couple of trips stitching up leaks and now I have safety stuff all over the place within easy reach. Safety gear has come along way in the last 5 years should check into it.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Wow you are lucky, glad you came out so well.

As others I have been bit with a grinder. Had a cutting wheel come a part on a 7". Glove saved my hand but no gauntlet or leathers left my arm exposed.

In my mind a grinder is the most dangerous tool I own ( yes everyone is dangerous). I gear up even for a quick use. That includes leathers to protect my privates (learned from someone else's mistake) and arms with glasses and face shield.

PPE for everything but even more for the angle grinder.

Jakedog

I've got to post a pic of my finger from this past January. Nice cut through my glove and then to my left pointer finger.
My dad always reminds me to wear a full face shield when grinding or cutting with my grinder. If a disc comes apart it could do some serious damage to the face or even hit the jugular. My pops worked out of the pipe fitters union local 460 for 40 years. He saw his fair share of injuries to others and a few times to himself. I'm trying to pass on to my boys the lessons I learned from him.
Be safe guys!

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yeah grinders..... we don't get along.....

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 141

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Yup, cut off wheel.
During Super Cel prep.

Attachments

• IMG_20170401_203057535.jpg
    IMG_20170401_203057535.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 98

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Really need to get the face shield myself. Looks like you are ready to go;)

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I took Metal Shop all 5 years of high school...one day I was shining up my chisel that I made out of cold rolled hex steel, had to be 4-5" long and 3/4" thick, the buffing wheel I was using was comprised of at least 3 pads, well I couldn't get it quite shiny enough so I applied more pressure, the buffing wheel snatched the chisel out of my hand, it hit the steel back plate and ricocheted and hit me square in the forehead.

Obviously, and only by the grace of God was I hit by the BLOUNT end of the chisel...3 sutures was all I needed. Be safe my friends