• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco script EFI oil fill cap

bronccar

Been reading up on this and have found that some are running the Bronco Script valve covers with EFI by venting one side (I assume PCV hole) to the throttle body and getting a non breather fill cap for the other side.

If you've done this, like to know how you handled it (and ND part numbers if possible)

TIA.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I did it to my Mustang a while back. I just knocked the ball out of the PCV valve in the valve cover making it nothing more than a hose fitting, and then ran a hose from it to the throttle body for the fresh air side. Keep the PCV in the intake intact though.

POPPAWS BRONCO

Loc.
Horn Lake, Ms.
da65785e7c7588471cac685ec239fdab.jpg
like this?

Hey!!! Let me hold a dollar I'm in the middle of a restore here!

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Been reading up on this and have found that some are running the Bronco Script valve covers with EFI by venting one side (I assume PCV hole) to the throttle body and getting a non breather fill cap for the other side.

If you've done this, like to know how you handled it (and ND part numbers if possible)

TIA.

I dont have Bronco valve covers, but I used standard 'non-efi' covers with the same issue... My build thread for my efi is here Street Queen 347 EFI. I found a press in oil fill cap on the Summit website and used it in the front of the drivers side cover Trick Flow VC Plug

890871FE-73FC-42F5-BA69-D70C3FED3505-18825-00001FABD5461AAE_zps22a894d2.jpg

On the other side, I found another piece from Summit that has an oil fill cap and breather hose to the intake. Trick Flow Oil Fill Make sure you verify that these will work for your valve covers- some may have different size holes. It can be seen here:

BF266046-4F40-4A03-8E2E-FF341F152B32-8692-00000ECD00B5C32C_zpsbadfb335.jpg

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I used the Bronco script valve covers on my 5.0 build.

I routed the passenger side to the throttle body.

On the driver's side I went the cheap route. On the help isle at Orielly's they had a package of little rubber plugs that just happen to fit the opening / flange in the valve cover.

worked like a charm

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Thanks guys.

So guide me here. I get the plugging the PCV hole, I've found plug for that no issue.

On the fill neck side I assume I need an air tight cap with a venting line? Does it push in to the fill tube or do I have to replace the tube?

Thanks!

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Or vent from the PCV hole and use a solid cap on the fill tube...

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I dont have Bronco valve covers, but I used standard 'non-efi' covers with the same issue... My build thread for my efi is here Street Queen 347 EFI. I found a press in oil fill cap on the Summit website and used it in the front of the drivers side cover Trick Flow VC Plug

890871FE-73FC-42F5-BA69-D70C3FED3505-18825-00001FABD5461AAE_zps22a894d2.jpg

On the other side, I found another piece from Summit that has an oil fill cap and breather hose to the intake. Trick Flow Oil Fill Make sure you verify that these will work for your valve covers- some may have different size holes. It can be seen here:

BF266046-4F40-4A03-8E2E-FF341F152B32-8692-00000ECD00B5C32C_zpsbadfb335.jpg

i see you have a phenolic spacer. was that required to clear the covers or for some other reason?

Thx

Hank

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
i see you have a phenolic spacer. was that required to clear the covers or for some other reason?

Thx

Hank

So the Exploder upper would clear the larger valve covers which were needed to clear the taller aftermarket roller rockers...

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So the Exploder upper would clear the larger valve covers which were needed to clear the taller aftermarket roller rockers...

Thx. was what i was thinking the case.

I really like the look of such covers, but with an EFI 351 im already near line to line with the hood and 1" BL so a spacer is a non starter.

Im running stock roller motor rockers that were on the GT40 heads. Anyone know if the bronco script covers clear stock roller rockers?

thx

Hank

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So guide me here. I get the plugging the PCV hole, I've found plug for that no issue.
On the fill neck side I assume I need an air tight cap with a venting line? Does it push in to the fill tube or do I have to replace the tube?

Or vent from the PCV hole and use a solid cap on the fill tube...

Whichever way works for you with the parts you find.
Basically the engine and computer don't care where the air is sucked out of the crankcase (PCV valve) with full vacuum, or where metered and filtered air is allowed back into the crankcase (vent) as long as the metered air return is between the mass air flow meter and the throttle body.
It just cares that you have a clean loop.

Since most of these Ford setups have that hose fitting right on the throttle body, and it's usually facing the passenger side, people usually figure out a way to run the vent line to the passenger valve cover.
You can run it to either one, but there would be less tubing running around if you keep it short and sweet.

If that's your oil fill, then yes the easiest is usually to have a tight cap and a fitting on the tube. And if your particular neck does not have a hose fitting like the factory one, you have to make your own. That can be in the tube, or even the cap itself. Whichever is easier in your particular application.

If for some reason it's not going to be easy to create a hose fitting on that tube, or on the valve cover itself, then maybe something over on the other side like was suggested with the gutted out PCV valve?
Not sure everyone can use that method though. Depends on how much clearance you have between the driver's valve cover and the upper intake plenum. Pretty tight fit usually.
But hey, all you need is a fit. Doesn't have to be pretty!

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Thanks Paul!

Can I put the fill cover on the driver's side the PCV port cover on the passenger's?

If that works, I am putting a sealed cap on the DS and vent tube to the PS

BTW, these covers were the first thing I ordered for my bronco in 2005 I think - and my first order from WH :)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
haha! Yeah, I've had parts sitting around that long too! And thanks for sticking with us so long too!

Yes, the orientation is whatever you want it to be, as long as you have the room. Most often the driver's side cover gets ignored because it's mostly covered by the factory EFI intake. But if you have room go for it.
You DO have the PCV valve in the back of the intake, correct?
It should be plumbed directly to full manifold vacuum through one of the 3/8" hose fittings under the intake.

For the vent then, and again, if you have the room under the intake plenum, by all means use it. I think that's what EFI Guy was saying he did on his Mustang.
A gutted PCV valve sounds like a slick way to get the proper hose fitting into a valve cover.

Paul

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Cool, I think I can make it work but we'll see. Otherwise I'll flip it back to PS and run vent from DS into bottom of upper

Yes I have the PVC on back of the lower

I actually did run these for a while, unlike the 10 YO springs I just installed lmao

Thanks man, I'll post back

BoulderMike22

I have a 351W with EFI and am running the Bronco script non-EFI valve covers. They work with stock roller rockers. I think I bent the piece of metal under the PS PCV hole to make sure.

I connected the PCV fitting (hollowed out like EFI Guy said) to the throttle body. For the driver side, I used a closed oil cap like mentioned above from Summit. I had to cut down the filler neck, angle it out away from the upper intake and weld it back together to get it to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

I have a 351W with EFI and am running the Bronco script non-EFI valve covers. They work with stock roller rockers. I think I bent the piece of metal under the PS PCV hole to make sure.

I connected the PCV fitting (hollowed out like EFI Guy said) to the throttle body. For the driver side, I used a closed oil cap like mentioned above from Summit. I had to cut down the filler neck, angle it out away from the upper intake and weld it back together to get it to fit.

Thanks Mike. What parts did you use to connect the PCV to the TB?

BoulderMike22

I'll double check and get a couple of pictures to send over to you tomorrow when I get back home.

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Thanks man. So looks like that filler neck ain't fitting without modification. On either side...

bsquared

Contributor
I am struggling with this same issue right now. I REALLY don't want to cut and weld, as I just got my covers back from paint. I'll have to look close at that and thanks for the pics, Mike 22! That cleared up a lot in this small brain of mine.

I'm kinda wondering why more folks don't run the MAF to the drivers side? Will the throttle body conflict with the master cylinder? (I have hydroboost) Looks like the upper would be fine with the PCV 90 on the other side. Just curious and appreciate you posting those pics! Cheers, B2

Attachments

• RebuildCovers1.jpg
    RebuildCovers1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 20
  • RebuildCovers2.JPG
    RebuildCovers2.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 19