• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

292 Y block

661buster1963

I am looking at a 1959 ford truck, looks clean but no motor. I assume it must have had a 292 Y block engine but cant seem to find out for sure. Assuming it is and I want to find a proper engine (period correct) would a 289 ford 1966 vintage happen to bolt into this for temporary driving? The engine and bell housing is missing from the 1959 but I have a 289 and both a small flywheel mustang bell housing and a cast iron bigger flywheel bronco bell housing. appreciate any help an expert may have.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Don't know about the 289 swap but the '59 F100 came with three different motor options. 1. was 223 inline 6 the other 2 were Y block 272 n the 292

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I don't know if the transmission will bolt up without and adapter and the motor mount location is probably different . Interesting question though .
What transmission is in the '59 ?
In my early teens some of the "adults " were hot rodding and modifying the 272,292 , 312s but I don't remember what or if they swapped in SBF motors.
Now we're reaching way back in the memory -- when did they start putting the FE motors in {332,352,360,390} in pickups ?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I know in the US '64 was the last yr of the 292 in an F100.
Cruise-O-Matic was thr popular automatic.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The '62 I just got rid of had the old school powertrain mounts. One under the crank pulley on the crossmember. The other two on the bellhousing. Transmission just hung off the back as an attachment, no mount under it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Strange, I was really happy to roll the '62 F100 unibody out of my yard. Couldn't wait for that thing to leave. Much happier with the '77

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I owned a '59 F100 back in the '70's with a 292. Awesome project truck that unfortunately never got off the ground.

Attachments

• '59 Panel Truck.jpg
    '59 Panel Truck.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 81

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am looking at a 1959 ford truck, looks clean but no motor. I assume it must have had a 292 Y block engine but cant seem to find out for sure. Assuming it is and I want to find a proper engine (period correct) would a 289 ford 1966 vintage happen to bolt into this for temporary driving? The engine and bell housing is missing from the 1959 but I have a 289 and both a small flywheel mustang bell housing and a cast iron bigger flywheel bronco bell housing. appreciate any help an expert may have.

Bell housing pattern is not the same...not even close.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
To me that looks like a perfect opportunity to build a hot-rod truck.
But I will admit that I am no fan of the Y block engine.

TNcoupe

The Y block is a heavy heavy engine. The 292 I pulled from my 55 T Bird was over 600lbs dressed. Putting a SBF in there shouldnt be any problem. The Y block transmission wont bolt up to anything but a Y block. My buddy in high school had a 59 with a 428CJ in it.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do a little google searching and find a Crown Vic for a donor for the front sub frame and complete drivetrain swap.

TNcoupe

Oh yeah and rebuilding a Y block is expensive. Thats why my T Bird has a 302 in it now. I paid the same price for a full Edelbrock aluminum E Street top end kit as it wouldve cost just for bottom end rebuild kit for the Y block.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The Y-block wasn't that great of an engine. Ford's first attemp at an overhead valve V8. Notourious for valvetrain issues if run hard. Mushroom tappet lifters, you have to put the lifters in before the cam. Even the timing chain is odd, you line up the timing marks to the two odd colored links that are 12 links apart. Stacked intake ports. Only the 312 got a crank damper.

I have one in a boat. 256" with the upgrade to make it 150HP. Only reason it is there is because of originality and it is already there and running.

I have also owned a 223 straight six. Which is pretty much a 6-cylinder version of a Y-block. Not that great of an engine. Both of mine had upgraded oiling done to them, and they still had wear issues. I have even seen a 223 swapped into a Bronco. Mated to the stock 3-speed. That was a bastard.

Cars got traditional engine mounting, 2 engine mounts and a transmission mount just in front of the driveshaft. Trucks got the two mounts on the bellhousing and a single under the crank pulley. So there would be fabbing a couple of crossmemers to install a different style drivetrain. At this point you could put just abou anything in. Watch oil pan clearance to the front axle.

OP
OP
661buster1963

661buster1963

I figured it was a long shot for the transmission to bolt to anything I already had. Engine bay seems big enough for just about anything. If the truck was a 2wd the crown vic option would be cool. This 59 is a big window 4x4, not really clean and complete enough to worry about boogering up a good survivor. Having learned a 292 is north of 600# though makes a 289 seem a reasonable fit, 351w maybe a better fit. Have also thought about getting the 4x4 running gear out of it and pass on to someone looking for such and taking it to a 2wd truck. Wife says Im crazy for even looking with a early bronco and an international travelette both in the backyard shop, just always liked the 59/60 slab side short bed big window truck. Thanks for the input.