• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Bronco Project

mbills8778

Loc.
Double Oak
I just acquired a '73 Bronco with an inline 6 with a 3 speed transmission. Wanting to swap the engine out for a 302. Will the existing transmission bolt up and work, or should I replace that too? If replacement, what would you recommend?

Superwoody

Loc.
Skyline
Did the 6cyl come with a auto option. I just haven’t seen one. I’d go explorer swap with auto and everything fuel injection to the 4R70w. They are dirt cheap right now until they start drying up.

OP
OP
M

mbills8778

Loc.
Double Oak
I assume it's still carrying the stock c4 transmission?

if that's the case you'll have no problem, the 302 was an option for that year and will work fine with the C4.

SHOULD you upgrade the transmission? depends.

some people will tell you to swap that out for a 5-speed while you're doing the engine swap anyway. NV3550 would be nice for a street build (but it's a manual which I like but you may not).

Here's a guide on this site to peruse:
http://classicbroncos.com/tech/early-bronco-transmission-guide-automatic-options

Thanks for the information! My preference is a manual transmission so the NV3550 might be the choice. There's a lot to consider!!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
no auto option, congrats on the new bronco, got any pics
welcome to the site.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
He said three speed, not C4. C4 never came with an 6 in a Bronco anyway.

6-cyl transmission is shorter than the V8 due to the longer 6-cyl engine. If you bolt the V8 to the 6-cyl transmission, you'll have to cut into the firewall to get it to fit. Get the V8 transmission and adapter (maybe $100 used) and do it correctly.

OP
OP
M

mbills8778

Loc.
Double Oak
Here's a few pics of our project, affectionately known as Dusty at this point.

Attachments

• Driver.jpg
    Driver.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Driver2.jpg
    Driver2.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Inside 2 floor.jpg
    Inside 2 floor.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Passenger.jpg
    Passenger.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
M

mbills8778

Loc.
Double Oak
Thanks! The door posts are really the only problems. PO replaced/repaired a bunch of the other stuff already. Problem is the quality of those repairs, don't think he was much of a welder!

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Congrats on the new ride! Love the custom e-brake on the front tire ;)

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Congrats on the Bronco!
6 cylinder to V8 will require V8 engine mounts, V8 3sp tranny adapter, possibly radiator replacement with core support mods.. Not sure what I'm missing on the list.