• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Air cleaner w/FiTech efi

vtboy51

I ordered both the 10" and 14" air cleaner to see which fit best on my FiTech system. The 10" seems small and the 14" hits a little on one of the fuel ports, but I think I can bent it to work. Will the 10" restrict air flow to much? What are others running with their Fitech?

Attachments

• IMG-8513.jpg
    IMG-8513.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG-8514.jpg
    IMG-8514.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How powerful is the engine, and how will you be driving it?
Even the diminutive and obviously semi-choked stock air cleaner will flow a reasonable volume of air for most needs.
Until you get into bigger power numbers, or always wanting that last bit of poop out of your right foot that is.

That's no real answer I know, but I'm thinking the 10" is fine unless you need more power than most. A 14" is more "typical" of what most people use I think, but I think too that they can handle 400-500 hp engines as well.

If you check out the YouTube video on air cleaner performance on the dyno that Engine Masters did (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkpsydS8JXI) you'll likely decide that while 10" is not quite as good as 14 is, pulling the top off and putting a salad bowl on top would be best!

It's actually a cool vid. As are most of theirs.

Paul

OP
OP
vtboy51

vtboy51

How powerful is the engine, and how will you be driving it?
Even the diminutive and obviously semi-choked stock air cleaner will flow a reasonable volume of air for most needs.
Until you get into bigger power numbers, or always wanting that last bit of poop out of your right foot that is.

That's no real answer I know, but I'm thinking the 10" is fine unless you need more power than most. A 14" is more "typical" of what most people use I think, but I think too that they can handle 400-500 hp engines as well.

If you check out the YouTube video on air cleaner performance on the dyno that Engine Masters did (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkpsydS8JXI) you'll likely decide that while 10" is not quite as good as 14 is, pulling the top off and putting a salad bowl on top would be best!

It's actually a cool vid. As are most of theirs.

Paul

Very interesting video. I think the 10" (flat base) is definitely sufficient for my bone stock 289.

Attac

Contributor
I just did this with spectre plenum

Attachments

• IMG_5430.jpg
    IMG_5430.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 191

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I use the specter 14" round and have to massage the drop base to clear everything a little.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 165

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 10" will flow plenty of air for a stock motor and it looks way better on your engine than the 14" in my opinion.

Attac

Contributor
Attac -did that specter happen to quiet down the tbi sucking noise? It sure looks sharp.

Don't know yet...
Gonna fire it up for the first time tomorrow. This is my sons bronco I have been building the last 2 yrs. I will let you know
Chuck

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I have a HEI Dizzy so we used a offset stud and modded the base to clear everything. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 91

OsideDave

The Holley Sniper 14" base fits, it reliefs for rear inlet and outlet. I ordered one and it seemed to fit well. I haven't played with it much but threw it on and it fit

dougsride

10 inch flat bottom

I did a ten inch with a flat bottom and a kn. check out engine masters on you tube. they did a dyno air cleaner test. very interesting.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah that was a great shootout.
The only thing I would have liked them to add to it, would have been to lay a feaux hood down near the top of the open element tops to see just how much (if anything) would have been lost from the change in air flow.

I liked knowing that the open top elements were so good at flowing more, or just cleaner air. But since most would be under hoods, some quite low to the engine (as in a Bronco's hood), it would have been a cool addition to the test.

Paul

dougsride

yea I had a kn filter top on mine but took it off when they showed it actually had worse flow than if you ran either or . that being said you are right, it would have been interesting to see flow rates with a hood. I have a scoop with the front open thinking maybe a ram air effect might work with the kn top but then again my engine is bone stock except for the fitech, headers and hei ign.

KeithKinPhx

I was wondering how I get a salad bowl under the hood of Ol' Blue.

If you don't know why I said that then watch the video.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any guesses whether this drop base would work on the FiTech?

Attachments

• Sniper drop base.JPG
    Sniper drop base.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 41

Mikesimp70

I just used the original Ford Bronco offset on top of my FiTech. I considered fabing something up but I liked the look. I have to be somewhere just north of 320HP. Do we think it would help the engine to do something after market?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably so. But how much more depends on how much more you're willing to do to get it, and if it's worth it.
Would you feel it? Maybe... Or maybe not until you get to the higher rpm and wider throttle openings. And even then, not every combo will benefit the same. So maybe...
So if wider throttle openings are something you try to achieve often, then you'd probably benefit from the right aftermarket setup.

More surface area and a straighter flow path down the throat of the carb can make a difference. But for me it's likely not going to be worth the hassles, so I would continue to use the stock air filter without bitterness on my part at losing that last 10 or 15 horsepower.
Now, if this was in a car, that last few might make the journey worth the destination. But not for my Broncos.

If you think yours runs well now, then I'd say you're fine. Hunting for the last horsepower is more of a street thing, a race thing, or just a "thing" thing.
If you do like to race around a bit though, and want to squeak every last drop, then a larger diameter round filter with the filtered top would make the most difference.
Clever marketing, or not, it's the filtered top that makes the most power at the top due to straighter flow path. With a typical Bronco's hood laying flat over the top of that though, there would be very little benefit in our version of the real world.

Paul

Eoth

Bronco Guru
With my Fitec and HEI I used the Holly Oval Air Cleaner (positioned sideways). Low profile but still good amount of filter area. Sorry for poor pic but its all I have handy..

Attachments

• air cleaner.jpg
    air cleaner.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 51

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rattler's FiTech is topped with a 15" dirt track air cleaner that is a drop base so it clears the hood. The fuel inlet had to clearanced just a little by cutting and TIG welding because its an aluminum assembly. The Cleveland needs all the flow it can get.;D;D

Attachments

• Rattler 014.jpg
    Rattler 014.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Rattler 035.jpg
    Rattler 035.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 41