• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Driver side floor pan issue

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
So I replaced my transmission tunnel and brace that goes under it. Got the trans tunnel in and welded up. So I moved on to the driver side pan and got it fitted and in place and noticed it is not level at all. It slopes towards the door. I put a piece of tape on the seam for the pic so you guys can see what I’m seeing. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
J

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
Sorry pics were not attached

Attachments

• 4A1B363B-F90F-4C6C-9898-5E2667CA88FD.jpg
    4A1B363B-F90F-4C6C-9898-5E2667CA88FD.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 226
  • 943F414E-9B4E-4496-AE78-5CCF1F934AA5.jpg
    943F414E-9B4E-4496-AE78-5CCF1F934AA5.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 199

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
So is it high on the transmission side because of the brace or because of the trans hup sheet metal lip?

Some of that could change once the panel is screwed down... What does it look like underneath? Is the panel laying flat on the cross brace?

Part of me says maybe a little slope out the door is good for drainage...

OP
OP
J

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
So is it high on the transmission side because of the brace or because of the trans hup sheet metal lip?

Some of that could change once the panel is screwed down... What does it look like underneath? Is the panel laying flat on the cross brace?

Part of me says maybe a little slope out the door is good for drainage

The trans sheet metal lip and the brace are even. The brace its self slopes a bit as it goes toward the body mount and door. The brace is flush with the inner rocker as well. Maybe I can take some pics later with the floor pan out of the way. By eye the brace looks pretty level but when I put a level on it is shows it running up hill to the tunnel.

OP
OP
J

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
See if the attached this time. I hate doing this from my phone.

Attachments

• CF87A5E6-51DA-4199-B5E8-59A793FB62AB.jpg
    CF87A5E6-51DA-4199-B5E8-59A793FB62AB.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 161
  • 086D2A25-5021-451E-A00F-8972B36A011F.jpg
    086D2A25-5021-451E-A00F-8972B36A011F.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 1D00358E-FCBC-4CE6-BEE7-094488A5660D.jpg
    1D00358E-FCBC-4CE6-BEE7-094488A5660D.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 131

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
So if I hear you right, with the panel in place it leans toward the door. With the panel removed, the floor brace has a lean to the trans hump.

Check to see if the dimple they put in the floor pan for the body mount is letting the panel sit flat. My Tom's panel needed adjustment with a BFH to make it sit flush.

You could also mark on the panel where you will weld it to the body mount brace. Drill a few of the holes for the screws and install a couple of them just to see if it pulls things together.

OP
OP
J

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
So if I hear you right, with the panel in place it leans toward the door. With the panel removed, the floor brace has a lean to the trans hump.

Check to see if the dimple they put in the floor pan for the body mount is letting the panel sit flat. My Tom's panel needed adjustment with a BFH to make it sit flush.

You could also mark on the panel where you will weld it to the body mount brace. Drill a few of the holes for the screws and install a couple of them just to see if it pulls things together.

Sorry if I’m not explaining correctly. The brace also slopes down toward the door. I cut the sleeve down on the brace where the body mount is so it would not interfere with the floor pan. The brace is high at the tunnel and has a slope down going to the door. I’m just not sure how to correct it.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Kinda hard to tell what's going on with the whole Bronco on its side like that. ;D

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Sorry if I’m not explaining correctly. The brace also slopes down toward the door. I cut the sleeve down on the brace where the body mount is so it would not interfere with the floor pan. The brace is high at the tunnel and has a slope down going to the door. I’m just not sure how to correct it.

Can you raise the rocker rear support up slightly > I see sheet metal screws in one of your pictures.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I might be way off here but here goes. Are you sure that the jack has not let the outside drop to make the brace lean? How much of the body is cut out and how did you brace the area? Is the top still on the body? New body mounts or old ones?

OP
OP
J

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
I might be way off here but here goes. Are you sure that the jack has not let the outside drop to make the brace lean? How much of the body is cut out and how did you brace the area? Is the top still on the body? New body mounts or old ones?

1. The jack. I took measurements from the floor to the bottom of pilar where the jack is now before starting. I have the jack there so I can jack it up just a bit to allow room for the floor pan to slide under inner rocker lip where the floor pan welds to the rocker. Then once pan is in place I lower the jack back to the correct measurement. So the brace is nit welded to the rocker yet allowing me to move it a little to get the pan in. With the jack at the correct measurement the brace and rocker sit flush.
2. Bracing I braced the door openings on both sides. I braced the dash to the frame and I have two braces running across the bed rails. I started by replacing the bed pan and rear brace along with the rear wheel well extensions. That all seemed to go well. Then I moved to the front and cut out font floor pans both sides and the trans tunnel. My original brace was crushed and broke at both body mounts.
3. At this time the only thing cut out is floor pans. I did replace inner rocker. That is not welded in just sheet metal screws. That's the other problem. On both sides were the inner rocker, kick panel and door post meet where rotted out and not connected anymore. Plan is to get the floors in and then weld up rocker then move to kick panel and door post.
4. Top is still on.
5. New wild horses 1in body mounts.

OP
OP
J

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
Can you raise the rocker rear support up slightly > I see sheet metal screws in one of your pictures.
Good eye. The inner rocker is just sheet metal screwed in because I have to replace kick panel also. I just tried to jack up on the rocker rear support and it didn't really do anything but it did want to bow the inner rocker from the pressure.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Good eye. The inner rocker is just sheet metal screwed in because I have to replace kick panel also. I just tried to jack up on the rocker rear support and it didn't really do anything but it did want to bow the inner rocker from the pressure.

You took jack measurement from old support right? That could be off since it was rotted. If your truck/frame is level, put a level on that support channel, place jack under said brace/supportchannel, remove the 2 screws holding your inner rocker and then jack up support until level, zip screws back in, test fit floor pan, trim if necessary... if you jack up that brace where your 2 screws are in the picture it should slide up a bit along the inside of the kick panel. If you have screws in that inner rocker take a few out so it can pivot a little as you mentioned you were experiencing some "bowing" ....its just a game of push, pull, move, trim etc...

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jason.k

Loc.
Gulfport Ms
You took jack measurement from old support right? That could be off since it was rotted. If your truck/frame is level, put a level on that support channel, place jack under said brace/supportchannel, remove the 2 screws holding your inner rocker and then jack up support until level, zip screws back in, test fit floor pan, trim if necessary... if you jack up that brace where your 2 screws are in the picture it should slide up a bit along the inside of the kick panel. If you have screws in that inner rocker take a few out so it can pivot a little as you mentioned you were experiencing some "bowing" ....its just a game of push, pull, move, trim etc...

Thanks for the help. I took the screws out that held the new inner rocker and kick panel and jacked up on support brace. The problem is now the inner rocker is and kick panel don't line up very well at the bottom. The inner rocker is about 1/2 inch high on kick panel. Meaning at the bottom the kick panel sits lower than rocker now.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the help. I took the screws out that held the new inner rocker and kick panel and jacked up on support brace. The problem is now the inner rocker is and kick panel don't line up very well at the bottom. The inner rocker is about 1/2 inch high on kick panel. Meaning at the bottom the kick panel sits lower than rocker now.

You're going to replace that kick panel anyways right? If so youre probably ok, if those two litte holes dont line up quite right you'll be able to drill or cut the over lapping metal so you can get your fender braces in down there. Biggest thing is just making sure that floor support is level along with your rocker panel. Once you got those where they need to be just make sure your floor panel to the cowel support channel is 21.5". The replacement parts are not perfect so don't be surpised if your off by 1/4' here and there. You can see in my pic I wrote the measurement down directly on my cowl lol.

21.5.jpg

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That could be off since it was rotted.

This is my thought too Ryan. When I did mine, I measured the passenger side from the body mount bolt to the bottom of the cowl because it was the "better" side. Then I measured the drivers side and found a 3/4" difference due to a failed cross member. That cross member carries a lot of weight and Ford knew this because they added a reinforcement around the drivers mount area. I found both the cross member and reinforcement plate cracked on mine causing the 3/4" sag.

So I cut a 4x4 to something like 21 1/2" and used it to support the cowl on the drivers side as I replaced the kick panel so I could tack it to the door post. I then replaced the floor pans, repaired the transmission tunnel, both lower A-pillars, and replaced the drivers outer rocker. Surprisingly, it all worked because everything aligned when I reassembled.

Roger

Attachments

• Drivers side floor channel.JPG
    Drivers side floor channel.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Drivers floor channel, reinforcement removed.JPG
    Drivers floor channel, reinforcement removed.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Drivers floor channel reinforcement welded in.JPG
    Drivers floor channel reinforcement welded in.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited: