• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

GM 1 Ton Tie Rod End- Best brand?

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
I ordered a GM 1 Ton Tie rod/drag link end kit on Amazon a few years back and did the TRO conversion. It held up well over all. I bent up the passenger side tie rod end to the point of needing replacement but can’t remember who the manufacturer was.

What’s the concensus on the best brand to get? I don’t want some Auto Zone junk from China.

Thanks!!!

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
For clarification, I just need the passenger side TRE. Not looking for a whole new set up.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did yours kink a little at the narrow point near the hole? Seems pretty common.
What's not common that I know of though is a consensus on the best brand. I'm sure some have had their favorites because it's a popular part. I just don't remember hearing what.

The traditional brands like Moog and TRW still have good reputations, but I'd have to guess they're also made in China. Perhaps not with ONLY pricing to consider, but it's hard to tell these days.
But those are the two I remember most from the old days.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
You’re dead on s always Paul. Exactly where it kinked.

I ordered some “high end” moog ball joints a couple years ago. Guess what was stamped in plain sight in the box....Made in China.

In “Heim-sight” I should have gone with heim joints and been done with it. Just like the idea of being able to grease the TREs at the time.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm with you. I know there are greasable Heim's out there too, but I still prefer tapered rod ends myself.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, they just bend and that's pretty normal. Not sure that any brand, good or known bad, is going to be any stronger in that necked down area.
It's not beholden to them to change it either, since it's not meant as a tie-rod stress area for it's original application. Never was.

The original application, as you may know already, was for the steering stabilizer to mount. Not sure why they went to the trouble of actually making it weaker there, but it never caused any trouble when just holding a stabilizer shock.
As soon as it was used as a very highly stressed mount for a draglink though, any extra strain on it just bends them in that area. Nature of the beast unfortunately.

I had thought many years ago that spec'ing out an extra strong one with no neck-down would sell pretty well. After all, more than just Broncos are using these as their steering linkage. And more than just Broncos are bending them.
And even though it's a limited production item, it might not be cost prohibitive. But it's not cheap either, so it just gets put on a back burner.

Paul

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Hey 68rockcrawler, I don’t need rod ends but those look great. Always amazed at how somebody finds a solution to problems, thanks for the link.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I am kinda tough on stuff : ) but the Moog TRE's I used years ago (probably a decade) were dead, like really dead in one year! I was very disappointed since I'd used them many times in the past with good luck... thats why I went with heims a long time back...

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have bent several MOOG passenger side 1 ton TREs, so I've been looking for a more durable option. I found these guys but and thought about putting something together from them. These are billet rod ends.
https://www.emfrodends.com/collections/tie-rod-end-chevy

https://www.emfrodends.com/collecti...ink-steering-adapter-bung?variant=29656638865

Have you checked out Rare Parts' series of replaceable cartridge systems with larger threaded shanks, etc. than stock?

http://www.fabseries.com

You can go larger-than-stock but not go cartoonishly-large like the WH Clydesdale System (which is the largest Rare Parts Chevy parts bits).

Todd Z.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It bent in the threaded area, not the narrowed down spot.

Pics from picker:

be4e4249e75fa78ac6dfb16d93f49d3c.jpg

8e7475ca185f8aed1be6b2459c41df17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If I really cared I guess I would buy them from GM That's the best shot at getting something made to some kind of standard.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I really cared I guess I would buy them from GM That's the best shot at getting something made to some kind of standard.

If you buy them from GM, you most likely will be paying a premium for an ACDelco part, and would probably be better off just buying them from RockAuto.com IMHO.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe... Maybe not these days.
I still tend to buy through other sources for convenience, but ever part I have bought from the local Buick dealer was either as well priced, or less than the comparable part from the aftermarket or junkyard!
Certainly, they were oddball and not common replacement items (except for the keys and fobs, which surprisingly were less expensive from the dealer than elsewhere in spite of the horror stories), so maybe a tie-rod end might not be the same.
But on the off chance that they still stock this type of vintage part that has not been utilized in probably 30 years on a new vehicle, it's at least worth a shot.

If it's indeed an AC Delco part though, you can get those from just about any parts store around here these days.
And Rock Auto does seem to be a great resource these days. Don't even have to get out of your chair until the part arrives at the front door!

Paul