• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MACKDDY build thread

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm really getting close to paint stage. Underside welding and repairs are done and primer is scuffed and ready for final color. I shot the inner door panels for practice before bonding them together

door 1.jpg

door2.jpg

The color is a bit darker than what i was expecting, but i havent seen it in bright sunlight yet. application is not as great as what i hoped but not bad for a total noob....

Hank

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
looking great!! LOVE the color buddy!!

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
here's an update from the past couple of weekends. i built a ghetto paint booth in one of my shop bays and shot primer on bumpers, fenders and window frames.

bumpers.jpg bumpers 2.jpg

i installed the transfer case adapter and hung that on the zf

xfer case 1.jpg xfer case 2.jpg

i moved on to the underside of the body and shot a first coat of final color. a few drips and runs but nothing that i wasnt expecting being the novice that i am.

underside 1.jpg underside 3.jpg

underside 4.jpg underside 5.jpg

i also got the lower intake cleaned up and repainted and installed.

lots of progress and things are moving quickly now.

Hank

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
christen right on the fresh paint hood?

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Last few days have been too hot to do any painting plus a short notice trip to Detroit. Also got roped into helping out painting new doors at the gun club so I’ve been getting some mechanical stuff done. New tom woods drive shafts installed, 9 inch rear drain plug drilled and tapped, shock absorber washers fabricated and installed. Also got some sanding done on bumpers and fenders. Hoping to finish up body color on underside this weekend and shoot the rest of primer on bumpers and front fenders.

I have the next 5 fridays off plus the week of July 4th. Lots of work to do and now some time to get to it

Hank

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Looking Fantastic Sir! I am glad to see that your project is going along well. Its nice to get some time to dedicate to your ride, I know how it is. Never enough Bronco time!
Love the color, that thing is gonna look Sweet!
Have a good one!

Steve

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Let me just say this, scuffing the underside of a Bronco is not fun. Spent better than 4 hours sanding and scuffing. It’s done and ready to clean and shoot the final coat on the underside. Weather and work have not been my friend lately :-(

0aac8cbd6675632f6076ad4d7d92287d.jpg

Hank

Last edited:
OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’ve been banging out some more primer this week. Bumpers, window frames, grill and inside of fenders. Good progress ahead of 7 straight days off with only bronco to attend to

Hank

b5766d409ac329286d1293b0667badeb.jpg

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Right on Sir! You should be able to put a huge dent in your to do list. Looking good, I hope all goes well on your Bronco time!
Have a good one!

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Looking good Hank. I'm in the middle of the same thing trying to get it painted. Able to shoot primer but it has been a brutal start of summer for painting. It has been hot and humid here since the middle of May. Forecasting mid 90's and high humidity for the foreseeable future. Hope you have better conditions there. Good luck and hope you can get it done before the 'Que. Ken

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I tried shooting hi build yesterday early am but the reducer activator was too cool formula. I got enough out for one base late before the paint solidified in the cup. Went to paint shop to get warmer temp reducer. Got up this morning and already too hot out for that. Grrrr

6e584b56506e26771f1f59cc84126ffc.jpg

Painting some small stuff in the basement today.

0995aaf4fd38784016b038371b2f2cd0.jpg

I finally got around to clearancing the knuckles for the caliper and a slot in frame for hose fitting out of 4x4x2 steering box.

13c22139d7eb7670ef91fb7349334f4e.jpg

Hank

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here’s an update post vacation days. The weather dint cooperate so I had to move vacation days around some. In the end, I got the number of days off I wanted.

Hi build on fenders, bumpers, grill and window frames

a04bc095a491c0a55a109149fefc16e4.jpg

Final color in wheel wells and underside (2nd coat)

f8e013d6401c2b6864c2c1d98156df31.jpg

81e5bd98eebc3b1aceeac897112977bc.jpg

ebb4cca3adaf9cb566489485019ef33a.jpg