• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No 3rd gear

turbotim2

I took the Bronco out this morning and it would not shift into 3rd gear at all. I had it out a couple of days ago and it ran perfectly. This morning I drove until it was hot, fluid is full, no serious leaks, fluid looked and smelled clean. 1st, 2nd and reverse all work as normal. The shifter is connected and working correctly as I move it through the gear positions. Anyone have any ideas on where to start looking?

Its a 77, C4 rebuilt with 600-700 miles on it.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
So fluid would be my first thing to check but you have already done that....low fluid can make you slip into the higher gears.....but you are not getting into 3rd at all huh?

Keep this at the top so the brain trust here at CB can respond,

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Pull the vacuum line off the modulator and see if there is tranny fluid in there. Make sure that there isnt a vacuum leak in the modulator line or other vacuum leak on the intake.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You could completely unhook the kickdown. I didn't have one for quite awhile. That way you can confirm that adjustment is not an issue,

Had trouble getting the stock linkage rod to work right with a Windsor. Lokar kickdown cable kit fixed that.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, X2. You need a spring to pull the kick down lever forward to the carb stop or it may not disengage. Good luck

knack

Contributor
I took the Bronco out this morning and it would not shift into 3rd gear at all. I had it out a couple of days ago and it ran perfectly. This morning I drove until it was hot, fluid is full, no serious leaks, fluid looked and smelled clean. 1st, 2nd and reverse all work as normal. The shifter is connected and working correctly as I move it through the gear positions. Anyone have any ideas on where to start looking?

Its a 77, C4 rebuilt with 600-700 miles on it.

I had the same issue with mine a couple years ago. Drove 80 miles home in second gear along the side of the highway. The next day, it started working fine again. Took in into a transmission shop I trusted - but on the way there it started working fine again. They pulled the modulator, dumped the fluid, didn't find anything wrong. Replaced the modulator & refilled.

Since then I've flushed and filled the transmission again, and installed a magnetic filter in the cooler return line. Problem has never returned.

Not many miles on that rebuild. Would be good to let the rebuilder check it out - if that's a possibility.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Good chance the 2-3 shift valve is sticking. The direct clutch is your 3rd gear and it is also required for reverse. Maybe time to pull the valve body and clean it out.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Well I checked the vacuum line and modulator, no fluid or vacuum leaks. I installed a spring on the kickdown rod. Will have to test drive and see if that did anything.

Viper, would you expect that valve to stick out of the blue like that?
It can happen. Maybe some grit has worked it's way in there.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi,
When you look at it up at the carb, move it up and down, it should move freely.
I might think about backing off the adjustment screw.
You can pull it up all the way and remove it and see how it drives.
You can drive with out it, but when the engine lugs, you should downshift manually.

If it drives good without it, find out why it is sticking.
Good luck

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Well I decided to pull it out and take it to a professional transmission guy just to make sure I didn't screw something up while building it. He said it was perfect, found a little crud in the valve body but nothing serious. Got it back in yesterday. Still no 3rd gear...

Make sure the throttle valve behind the modulator and pin is facing the correct direction. Did the trans guy replace the direct clutch seals and rings on the stator? Could be leaking there. Have you tried a different valve body?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Modulator is easy to test. Does it hold vacuum?

Throttle valve won't work backwards but you should also make sure it isn't sticking.

I don't use inline filters but I do always place a magnet in the pan.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
When the tranny was rebuilt was the converter replaced? When my tranny acted up along time ago I had trash in the intermediate band servo. This caused delayed shift action that came and gone. This problem happened when the tranny was less than 30,000 miles and the brass filter in the tranny decided to come apart and send shards through the tranny resulting in full tear down.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I seen your fully dismantled transmission on Ron's bench. The parts he pulled out looked brand new. You still having issues?