• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

anyone epoxy prime crossrails instead of por15?

sneditch

Just finished cleaning up the front crossrail using POR15 cleaner and metal prep. Was intending to POR15 the channel and weld-through prime the lip. Was reading some threads on Early Bronco Drivers/FB group where the suggestion was to avoid using weld-through as it produces moisture later and avoid POR15 as its a bandaid not a solution for rust, etc. Instead the recommended procedure is to wire wheel down to bare metal, clean with soap water, make sure its bone dry and then epoxy primer the channel and lip.

If I were to follow this method, I question how to weld the pan to the lip of the rail.

I've seen where some will drill holes in pan and then spot sand blast or flappy disk the spot on the rail where it will be welded.

Others use sheet metal screws to test fit pan to rail lip, then use a copper spoon to weld up the sheet metal screw holes. This makes the most sense to me, just questioning if I create issues with epoxy primer when I start plugging the holes?

Attaching a few pics to show condition of rails. The passenger seat rail I previously did with POR15 in channel and weld-thru on lip.

I guess just looking to move forward on this portion with confidence I am not going to find rust in a few years, etc.

Noob question for sure...but that's how I be learnin'...

Thanks in advance gents!

Attachments

• IMG_7187.jpg
    IMG_7187.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8565.jpg
    IMG_8565.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_8569.jpg
    IMG_8569.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8065.jpg
    IMG_8065.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 71

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I did what you have in your first picture. I also put weld through primer on the weld surface of the channel. I have been using POR for over twenty years and when it is used correctly it will last a long time. Those channels are 45 years old and held up pretty well with no paint in them so I would think any paint would help out. Ken

OP
OP
sneditch

sneditch

Thanks @bronkenn. I appreciate the common sense here "Those channels are 45 years old and held up pretty well with no paint in them so I would think any paint would help out."

Easy to get caught up in the trees and miss the forest!