• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trailering with axle straps, chains, tire straps

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Second the tire pressure, unless you tie it down during the coolest temp your going to see then it doesn't mater.

Good point, don't like to have wheeling PSI in there when hauling, Like the tires aired up 20lbs + so less bounce

OP
OP
No Hay

No Hay

Bronco Guru
I use this same method, although not as scientific. However, once I get it where I like it, then I note the location of a tire on the trailer. I think I may even screw a block down or some other type of mark that doesn't require my memory...

Tongue weight is just as important as how you strap something down. 3/4 and heavier trucks have quite a bit more leniency than the smaller trucks for this, but it's better to have a little more tongue weight than not enough.

Funny how we have gotten way off track here. OP, I hope you've got the answer you are happy with!

Yep, all good info. I have towed trailers and boats a lot, but a vehicle on a trailer will be a first. Using the 20' U-Haul truck to pull will make it easier. Tires at full pressure sounds good too. Thanks again to all for the tips.
Kevin

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I tie it all down. I dont use wheel straps. They work great, I just dont use them. I trailer with the transfer case out of gear or the trans in neutral. I chain both the front and rear down tight. Using a chain binder and a piece of pipe to pull the binder tight. I safety wire the binder shut. I put good straps on all 4 corners of the vehicle. I do not cross straps. 1 per corner pulling down the suspension to reduce any bounce. If the vehicle has a winch I pull cable and snug it up too. I wire the strap hooks to the d rings and the tie down points on the vehicle. If I lose the trailer, I want that vehicle on it when it stops. But thats just me.

OX1

Bronco Guru
There is no need to tie down the suspension.

If you have a flexy suspension and decent body weight, you will be
much happier at speed with susp tied down, especially over really
crappy portions of a highway.

I used 8 straps (10K working load each), 4 to body and 4 to axles.
Obviously, my body weight is much higher than most EB's.

Have had my body straps crossed as shown for over 20 years.
Never had and rubbing or cutting issue. Maybe I just have
much higher quality straps. I do crank down on the body straps
really hard, to the point of pulling susp down 3-4" at least.

Also depends a lot on trailer. I bought a new alum 26' trailer.
Was planning on ditching deckover shown, but that thing was
homemade, with 12", 1/4 inch wall C-Channel frame. Super stiff
and pretty short. Tows extremely solid, even @ ridiculous speeds.
My alum trailer has a decent amount of flex, comparatively. I'm
keeping that deckover for shorter day trips.

2014-06-26_15-00-22_557.jpg

Last edited:

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
I've hauled my Broncos to and from Alaska, and all over the U.S. with just axle straps. Doesn't budge at all and I feel extremely comfortable doing it. I did use chains and binders too when coming down from Alaska, but it was overkill. Also, I never cinched the body down to take out the suspension. Didn't have any issues.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I've used a lot of uhauls for my Bronco. I have 33's and I air them WAY down to get the straps around them, then I air them back up a bit so that there isn't any tire or rim damage from being deflated too much. Eventually I came across two passenger tires on rims and I just swap them into the front each time I trailer. Between the tire straps and restraining chains, I don't worry about what gear it is in. Those trailers are so heavy and cushy that nothing moves or bounces.