• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1969 Bronco Restoration - Transmission, Steering, Brakes - Help Needed

Glredmanii

I'm proud to be in the process of restoring my dream vehicle. My 1969 Bronco will be my daily driver when finished. This is my first restoration project ever and I'm grateful for any suggestions, opinions, critiques etc.

I am buying a new tub with all fenders, doors, etc. from Bronco Connection.

1. Axle 2. Transmission 3. Brakes and 3. Steering

Axle, Transmission, Brakes, Steering

It has a Dana 30 now. Should I buy a Dana 44? I don't plan to do any off roading. I want the vehicle as a daily driver and valuable if I ever need to resale it.

What is the best transmission to by for the 1969 Bronco? I like a 3 speed, but I feel an automatic transmission will be better for resale. Where is the best place to buy one? What should I buy?

Power Steering?

Brakes?

Also, should I save the old parts to resale or keep?

I really appreciate any opinions or guidance.

Gary Redman

KeithKinPhx

Gary,

Congrats on taking the plunge. I too am in the process of doing a full upgrade. I am going automatic with OD. 4R70W and bought it as a kit (tranny, adapters, cross member, Ididit steering) from B C Broncos. Jason over there is walking me through it step by step. I also did the fuel tank 23 gallon upgrade with EFi from FiTech.

I am not doing the brakes of steering until I do the tranny, interior, AC. Most parts don't seem to have much value ( who wants to go back to the three on the tree?) Take a look at Toms and if they are selling it used on their site then maybe that particular old part has some value.

I've been documenting my progress (and what I bought) on YouTube . Just search for Rising Phoenix Bronco.

Best of luck.
Keith

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Gary. Welcome #2 from over here. Hope it's a smooth transition to daily driver status!
So what kind of mileage for driving? You say no wheeling, so street only in this case. But in heavy traffic, or off-hours? Rural extremes of the city, or more in town?
And to the real meat of things, what "look" are you going for? Stock-ish or modified? Do you have a tire size and/or ride height in mind yet?
Very important things to determine right from the get-go.

I am buying a new tub with all fenders, doors, etc. from Bronco Connection.

Sounds like a good start.

Stick with the Dana 30 unless you find a killer deal on a Bronco 44.
Nothing wrong with them from an "STSTSTST" (strictly street strength standpoint);D
Maybe the only thing is the occasional part availability, but that's not common yet that I know of.
Any decision that includes "must have a 44" might depend on tire size.

2. Transmission

I love manual transmissions, but for your use I would go with an automatic. Unless you just love to row gears like I do, if the answer to one of those questions above was "city" and "traffic" then you'll appreciate the auto.
Which one may depend on tire size.

3. Brakes and...

No question you should always have disc brakes up front. Not the case for every vehicle, but for Broncos the disc swap is usually quoted as one of the best mods the owners have done.
Rear drums are fine as long as you keep them in good shape and adjustment.
Other size or type upgrade choices may depend on your tire size choice.

3. Steering

Power all the way. You don't need exotic though. Just a standard "new" box like us vendors sell, or a rebuilt factory box. Preferrably the '76/'77 quicker steering style, or one rebuilt to those standards.
Whether you need a different upgrade or not depends on the tire size (sense a theme here yet?)

Steering linkage should be beefier than stock, but does not have to be if your old stuff is in good shape.
But bigger tires again mean beefier components are more desirable.
Not "might be" but definitely "will be" category.

I want the vehicle as a daily driver and valuable if I ever need to resale it.

Doesn't seem to matter yet. Very few of the current collector crowd likely pay more for a 44 swapped in, vs an original axle. Most probably don't even know the difference when they're looking yet. And anyone looking for "original" isn't going to like all the changes (including new paint and a non-stock entire body!) that you're making to it this go-round.
That may change of course, and anyone looking to wheel their rig (does that even happen with most new owners anymore?) would prefer the 44 if they weren't already planning on a 60 or Hi-9 or something.

What is the best transmission to by for the 1969 Bronco?

No such thing. It's whatever is best for you. Not the truck.
Resale might just be leaving it stock. Or not... Again, depends on who's buying but it doesn't seem to matter unless you have a low-mileage survivor.
Which, with a whole new body, it doesn't sound like yours is anymore.

I like a 3 speed, but I feel an automatic transmission will be better for resale.

No, it's not. And if it was you could change it back when you're done just as easily as you did the first time.
Well, it all depends on who's doing the buying again;D. Maybe the big money buyer wants original? Maybe they want custom? Not as much rhyme or reason yet. So build it for you if you really expect to drive it.
I can't say "Forget resale" just yet, because that's always on the table these days. But unless resale is the only concern here, and you are still going to drive it, I still say build it like you want to drive it.
If you expect to enjoy it and keep driving it while you have it, you might not like the choices you make for resale alone.

As mentioned, discs at least up front. Which way you go depends on how much you want to spend and how much stock you put into resale vs use. I don't know if anyone is paying more for a Bronco based on which brand of brakes it has or not. I think not, so build it to your tastes. Right now everyone that wants a Bronco is like you. They just want one.
You do know though, don't you, that you can often buy one for a lot less than building one. Correct?

Not sure what your budget is, or if it's just because you already have the '69 (and sounds like you're looking forward to doing the work), but you can get some pretty nice ones running and done right now for $20k to $30k. They're not all $70,000 customs that have two hungry bidders falling all over themselves to own it. Deals are still out there.
Is this a Bronco you've had for awhile now? Or did you just pick it up?

Also, should I save the old parts to resale or keep?

Good question. Since there really isn't anything in the way of smog stuff you're taking off, nothing there to worry about. Original engine? Transmission? Front axle if you change it? Yes, for certain buyers those items might be desirable. But your Bronco is already going to have a non-original body. The biggest "part" of the vehicle. So I'm not sure how much stock the remaining original parts will have with folks.
I say if you have the place to put them where they're not in the way (an issue with many) then keep them all and sell on to the next owner. But if you have to trip over the stuff or take away valuable space in the shed, sell, give or toss the stuff.
Others might disagree, but that's how I look at it in this case.

Is your original '69 anything special that you're aware of? Special options? First '69 with electric wipers for instance? Just kidding, but that subject came up recently.
In fact, since you're here, look up ToddZ's thread about '69's and the transition. Post up your info if it falls in that late October/November '69 build time.

Good luck. And have fun.
Sorry if the resale answers were a bit vague. But for now the whole Bronco market is still very vague as to what prospective buyers are willing to shell out for.

Paul

OP
OP
G

Glredmanii

Keith

I've searched and found your YouTube videos. "Rising Phoenix Bronco." Great looking Bronco!

I'm still trying to decide whether to go with an automatic transmission or have the guys rebuild mine and keep it "three on the tree." My mechanic said he didn't feel anything was wrong with mine and it wouldn't cost much to go thru it and rebuild. I'm leaning toward this option. I actually like to shift the gears. But, I haven't done so "on the tree" since I was a kid driving my dad's old ford truck. What is the main factor for your change from "three on the tree?" My concerns are 1. will it hurt my resale keeping the original transmission (my entire tub will not be original) (Do most buyers prefer an automatic?) and 2. Will highway driving limit my top speed? I'll sometimes drive from Dallas to my house in North Texas. From what I recall driving my dad's old ford, it wouldn't go over 55mph. I'm hoping to comfortably, safely drive the bronco 60-65 mph when needed.

From my brief research, it looks like I'll spend $1300ish on an automatic transmission.

I've found one at www.Jegs.com JEGS Performance Products 603032

Do you have any suggestions on where to buy one?

Paul

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I read over it with my mechanic yesterday. I really appreciate it. It's hard for me to make decisions sometimes :) I have decided on the following though.

1. Keeping the smaller axle and not change to the Dana 44.
2. Front disc brakes and rear drums
Can you suggest a conversion kit? Website and part number?
3. Power steering.
Again, if you could suggest a conversion kit, website and part number, I'd order it. Does it matter if I have "three on the tree" or an automatic?

what "look" are you going for? Stock-ish or modified? Do you have a tire size and/or ride height in mind yet?

I want my 1969 Bronco to look exactly like the blue one at:

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Early_Ford_Bronco

I don't know what wheel/tire size this is, but if you do, please let me know where to order them. I'd order the exact wheels and tires if I knew what and where to buy.

And, which lift kit would this bronco have? I love how it seems slightly higher than original, but has uncut fenders!

What kind of mileage for driving?

I'll keep the Bronco in Dallas and drive it around town mostly. However, I have a house in N. Texas (80 Miles from Dallas) and I'll probably drive it there once or twice per month.
This leads to my toughest decision, which transmission? I think "three on the tree" is cool, and would be fun to drive around town. And since my entire tub will not be original, I'm leaning toward keeping as many original parts as possible to help with resale. If nothing else, the three on the tree will make it look more original? But, will this cause some buyers to run? When custom broncos sell for big bucks, do they typically have automatic transmissions? If I go with the original transmission, is it difficult/expensive to change to automatic at a later point? Or, should I make the ultimate decision now that the bronco is tore down?

Street only in this case. But in heavy traffic, or off-hours? Rural extremes of the city, or more in town?

Probably more in the city. I don't mind driving an automatic in traffic. And, I'd rarely be in heavy traffic. But, as stated, I want to be able to drive it 70 miles to my other home a couple of times per month. I'd like to be able to go 60-65 miles per hour safely, comfortably. Is this possible?

Thank you so much for helping!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All of your goals are achievable without too much drama. But FORGET THE RESALE ASPECT OF EVERY PART YOU CHANGE for now. There is literally no rhyme or reason to what people pay the most money for yet. Perhaps when the market matures, certain aspects will have more value-cred than others. But right now unless you have a particularly spectacular example of a survivor, or if your model happens to be a special (Stroppe Baja, Denver Edition, early '66, or late '77, or has been raced in the Baja in the sixties or seventies, or was owned by Steve McQueen or Parnelli Jones or (the holy grail Carrol Shelby!)), it just doesn't seem to matter right now whether it is a bone stock or custom rig. A few months ago when some really nice ones were hammering for 22k to 25k, the previous auction had a relatively stock one go for $55k for no reason! A friend just sold a total custom build he just finished for about $70k a couple of weeks ago.
Broncos are just hot right now.

That was a long way of saying you just can't tell with most buyers and most Broncos. Some are paying $30k for a rust-bucket swiss-cheese model, while beautiful examples are languishing at $25k. Until earlier this year it was all about new paint. Nothing else seemed to resonate with buyers like nice paint. This year they talk about originality, but pay bigger money for custom. And since there is very little in the way of "numbers matching" you can't use that criteria for pricing a Bronco.
Like I said, no rhyme or reason yet.

For now it sounds like you'd be fine with the stock 3-speed. Might not even need more than a fluid change (which it probably never had before!), but if it's got more than 100k miles on it, you won't be out of line if you have it rebuilt either.
What you will be though, is totally unhappy with the gear ratios in the stock 3.03 3-speed. They're NEVER the right gear for whatever situation you're in.
That said, you can get to where you need to be with one if you just accept it. They shift great and are very quiet and reliable.
Choose your differential gear ratios wisely though Grasshoppa...;)

With 31" tires and 4.11 gears (factory option in EB's) you can spin a 302 up to 70 mph (approx. 3000 rpm) all day long and not hurt anything but your feelings if you have the wrong exhaust system and not much body insulation to keep the road noise down. Won't help your wallet at the gas pump either, but then that's not going to happen often anyway.
Same size tire and 3.50 gears (standard in EB's) will be cruising down the highway at the same speed (2500 rpm) even better, but be a little more sluggish off the line at stop lights. Not bad, and not lugging the engine if you're good with the clutch. Just not great with the relatively tall first gear of the car-oriented transmission.
The 4.11 is peppier, but 3.50 might get 1 or 2 mpg better, and cruise down the highway easier.
If changing the gears anyway, you could run 3.73 in the rear only to see if you like it. Then if you do you change the front to match.
If you don't have matching gears just remove the front driveshaft and don't use 4wd. Sounds like you won't be doing that anyway.
But the 9" is easy and less expensive to change gears in anyway. So experimenting is easier.

I PM'd you about the Bronco on our site, but for other's reference as far as I know until further info is obtained from the owner, it's a Caribbean Turquoise '68 with 2.5" WH suspension lift with Bilstein shocks (looks possibly like a 1" body lift to me too, but I was not told this) and 31x10.50 tires on steel wheels with hubcaps.
The wheels may in fact still be original stock ones, but could be aftermarket as well. They look a lot like the 7" Wheel Vintiques on my '68. They have 4" backspacing and sit just about the same.
Just looking at the pics though, I'd say his wheels are narrower. Which is why I thought they might be stock.

If more info arrives I'll post it up.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and I think that part of the reason that the custom ones go for lots of money (but only sometimes) is that some of the people looking for them are fully aware of how much it would cost them to have one built to the same specs.
The one my friend sold would have been a $120k to $150k build if they'd had it contracted to be done at a specialty shop.
The guys here on the forums that are custom Bronco builders (Nick's Trix, Englewood Cowboy and a few others) have a waiting list (because it takes lots of time to build one) and probably get that much and more for some builds, depending on the particular request of the customer and how rough the EB was in the first place.

So building a Bronco is no different than building a '32 Ford, or a '60 Cadillac. No matter what you build, whether it costs $20k or $100k, you will almost never get back your investment. Even though it looks like they are with Broncos, most of them are not unless they did the work themselves.
And a lot of '69 Camaro and '65 Mustang owners are probably kicking themselves for not having sold their cars three years ago before the Broncos took over the roost. Right now "most" EB's are selling at auction for more than "most" plain sixties classics.
Obviously there are exceptions and some of them are spectacular exceptions (like a $60k '59 Buick Century for example), but not as many as there used to be.

So as the others have already said, build it like you want to drive and enjoy it. Then look for the next owner that wants the same things you do now.

Paul

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
What you will be though, is totally unhappy with the gear ratios in the stock 3.03 3-speed. They're NEVER the right gear for whatever situation you're in.

Haha, yes. I can attest to this. I kept the 3 speed for the sake of trying to keep the truck as close to stock as possible. Its cool to have, but yeah, these days in the 5 and 6 speed world, its never the right gear. Youre either winding out 2nd or lugging 3rd. A 5 speed is on my wish list for sure.