• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Twin Stick Operation

Jp76

Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
OK, so after 3 years she is up and running with a Fitech EFI. So far so good! Some background first and then my question: I have a C4 with a twin stick.
There is no front drive shaft, since the clowns before me must have broken it off on the trail, so essentially it is a 2wheel drive for now. After sitting, the transmission pan was leaking, so the seal got replaced and I added a separate tranny cooler for the C4. I have never dealt with twin sticks
**Question - should the twin sticks be in the Neutral position while driving or doesnt it matter if the hubs are not locked out? The tranny shifts nicely, but I am getting a lot of leakage, and I am wondering if the twins are engaged and it is causing the leakage. I am also assuming that both shifters are Low (top position), Neutral (middle), High (Lower). Thanks! Jim

OP
OP
Jp76

Jp76

Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Thanks! I need to go out and make sure the front (left is in Neutral). The rear stick is in high (must be). Thanks

gavindg

Loc.
Westlake Village
Thanks! I need to go out and make sure the front (left is in Neutral). The rear stick is in high (must be). Thanks

Do you have the aluminum tranny pan?
those are notorious for leaking due to the gasket crush and sitting/expansion.

OP
OP
Jp76

Jp76

Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Yes, but actually it looks more ominous at this point. It appears to be leaking from other areas - could just be that it is finally running and now the fluid is finding other dry spots or leak points. Just gotta keep trouble shooting I guess!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Rear (right side) stick back all the way and front (left side) stick in the middle. But without a drive shaft in front it does not really matter where the front stick is. Do you have a T or J shift TC? If the C4 is stock then you likely have a J shift.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I have a twin stick and a nv3550 5spd, and it shifts so good that sometimes the rear stick ( right) moves out of position and I go nowhere lol. Shift it back into high and away we go. Oh yea , mines a t-shift .;D

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I have a twin stick and a nv3550 5spd, and it shifts so good that sometimes the rear stick ( right) moves out of position and I go nowhere lol. Shift it back into high and away we go. Oh yea , mines a t-shift .;D

You should be able to tighten that up. I have an allen head bolt with a jam nut to adjust the pressure on the shift rails. Ken

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Yes, but actually it looks more ominous at this point. It appears to be leaking from other areas - could just be that it is finally running and now the fluid is finding other dry spots or leak points. Just gotta keep trouble shooting I guess!

Are you absolutely certain that you're not overfilling it. I find that when cold my dipstick barely has any tranny fluid on it and then when it warms up becomes almost up to the full mark. I guess there's a lot of expansion in that type of fluid when it heats up.

If it is a little bit overfilled it'll kick it out the vent tube run down the side of your transmission and appear to be leaking from everywhere

OP
OP
Jp76

Jp76

Loc.
Cave Creek, AZ
Great point - I had a shop do the seal on the pan, so who knows. I also appear to have a leak at the rear diff, but after reading, I am wondering if after 3 years sitting in a body and paint place and who knows how long before that, if the vent hose or valve is blocked and there is pressure built up. Ahh yes, all of the fun of getting something moving again.

Thanks for the tip on the fluid level; I will look.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
You should be able to tighten that up. I have an allen head bolt with a jam nut to adjust the pressure on the shift rails. Ken

Thanks brother,I'll dig into it for sure,cuz it's so loose that when I bump into it, it moves out of gear. I'm not a tall guy, but I'm as wide as a semi lol so I feel very cramped in the driver's seat, I have a lot going on with the full roll cage,shifters, speakers under the dash, tach with fitech controller on the cage ,center console whew,it's busy in the cab lol. ;):):D