• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone running a 5.4L modular engine?

krisbassett

Just wondering if anyone is running a newer 5.4L modular engine in their early Bronco? Seems to me like it could make a real nice combo!

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
OK, I'll be the first. What combo? Tranny and t-case combo are you thinking of putting behind that motor in an early Bronco. That's the reason it's not been popular. Now the new 5.0 coyotee engine is another story. That will become the dream engine for almost any Ford resto rod.

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
The 4R70 or 4R75 with the 205 case would be just fine.. But, the 5.4L makes lousy torque when compared to a pushrod engine, or the new 5.0.. Drive a 5.4L Expedition and you'll see what I mean.. Its ok, but not really worth the hassle..

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
There's been a few swapped in do a search no real feed back on the performance. personally I dont think its worth the effort.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have had 2 5.4 trucks and they have no balls at all. Neither of them could spin a tire, my 347 stroker can break 2 35" tires loose all they way through 1st and into second.

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

I also have a 2001 f-150 running a 5.4 with 141,000 miles on it and it runs just fine. I get 17-18 mpg if I set the cruise and just leave it alone and this is in a rig much heavier than my Bronco. I've head the overhead cam VS pushrod engine debate before and I pretty much chalk that up to a wives tale. Just look at the numbers Mustang guys able to get from these engines. The bottom end is also extremely stout!! They claim 100HP per Liter stock. I think with one of the 3 valve engines with the variable valve timing and a decent low end set of cams a 5.4 would impress quite a few people. Look at the TQ and HP numbers of these engines compared to say a 1995 F-250 with a 5.8L in it. These engines are also very smooth running.

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
I'm typically all about newer engines and am a firm believer that there is a reason for older iron to go away. But, in this case, I have felt the difference. My personal stock 5.8 engine in my F-150 was much more responsive and faster than any 5.4L I've driven. The difference and reason for the pushrod vs OHC claim is that the OHC is designed for a higher RPM range. If you are planning to do cams and all, it may fit the bill and be unique..

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I also have a 2001 f-150 running a 5.4 with 141,000 miles on it and it runs just fine. I get 17-18 mpg if I set the cruise and just leave it alone and this is in a rig much heavier than my Bronco. I've head the overhead cam VS pushrod engine debate before and I pretty much chalk that up to a wives tale. Just look at the numbers Mustang guys able to get from these engines. The bottom end is also extremely stout!! They claim 100HP per Liter stock. I think with one of the 3 valve engines with the variable valve timing and a decent low end set of cams a 5.4 would impress quite a few people. Look at the TQ and HP numbers of these engines compared to say a 1995 F-250 with a 5.8L in it. These engines are also very smooth running.

Your F150 probably isnt as heavy as you think it is most come in at around 5200 lbs. not a lot heavier than a bronco unless your bronco is totaly stripped down. Plus the f150 is more areodynamic than a bronco.
Not going to say the 5.4 is a weak engine as it does have a decent bottom end but still if your using the mustang guys for referance your mistaken as similar numbers come out of a 351. But high numbers mean little for a vhecile that tends to be more low speed and heavy.
If you actually compare the stock HP and tq numbers between the two engines you'll see they are very similar but the 5.4 takes more RPM's to make that power.
not to mention its seems the 4.6/5.4 engines are about at the end of there run there are a lot of other engines taking there place.

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

My dad has an 05 f-150 and it weighs right close to 6k. It has the 3 valve engine and it runs way better than any stock 351 I have ever seen now take that engine throw some aftermarket cams in it and I bet it would be more than anyone would ever need in their bronco.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I have had 2 5.4 trucks and they have no balls at all.

You have to reprogram the 5.4L 3V to realize their potential IMO. The factory programming is not much improvement over a 5.0. I am on my third one and I really like them reprogrammed with a little fresh air. My 2010 (I am about to turn in because it has a lot of miles on it now) will smoke the tires in first gear, and second. With the right programing they approach 400 hp and drive nice for a stock motor....With that said, probably not a very good choice for a Bronco as everyone else has said...much better and less expensive choices out there to waist the time and effort required to muscle one of these monsters into such a small engine compartment IMO. ;)

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You have to reprogram the 5.4L 3V to realize their potential IMO. The factory programming is not much improvement over a 5.0. I am on my third one and I really like them reprogrammed with a little fresh air. My 2010 (I am about to turn in because it has a lot of miles on it now) will smoke the tires in first gear, and second. With the right programing they approach 400 hp and drive nice for a stock motor....With that said, probably not a very good choice for a Bronco as everyone else has said...much better and less expensive choices out there to waist the time and effort required to muscle one of these monsters into such a small engine compartment IMO. ;)

What programmer do you have? I have a K+N air filter and just added a Flowmaster muffler on my 2008 5.4. So it is breathing easier now and could probably benefit alot from a programmer. I did pick up 0.5 mpg with the Flowmaster.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru

X2 as a Ford tech I can tell you the "mod" engines have been great but for the time and effort to put one a Early Bronco I'd just go with a healty 351 based engine. I always feel the need to tell everbody about the evil's of K&N filters also, do a little reading on the web and you'll see some of the problems they can cause. I've sold quite a few engines over the years due to K&N filters, mostly because because folks install them and don't maintain them.

OP
OP
krisbassett

krisbassett

X2 as a Ford tech I can tell you the "mod" engines have been great but for the time and effort to put one a Early Bronco I'd just go with a healty 351 based engine. I always feel the need to tell everbody about the evil's of K&N filters also, do a little reading on the web and you'll see some of the problems they can cause. I've sold quite a few engines over the years due to K&N filters, mostly because because folks install them and don't maintain them.

I've read the same stories about K&N especially in the environments like I live in where the dust is like talcum powder.

I have no real plans on putting a 5.4 in my Bronco because I have an extremely healthy EFI 351 in mine. I just figured it would be fun to discuss it. But I'm still a fan of the modular engines. If I do anything dif it will be to stroke my engine out to 396 and add the MAF I have sitting up stairs in my junk pile well that's what the wife calls it LOL to me it's my pile of dreams!!

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
What programmer do you have? I have a K+N air filter and just added a Flowmaster muffler on my 2008 5.4. So it is breathing easier now and could probably benefit alot from a programmer. I did pick up 0.5 mpg with the Flowmaster.

I would go with hypertech. There are others that will give you a couple more hp, but that one will give you at least 46 hp and that much or more torque and you cant screw up a good engine with it. Make sure you raise all of the shift points to their max except for 1to2, keep it 500 rpm less than the rev limit and you will have a completely new ride....;) Just seen yours is 2008, not 100% sure these numbers are on my 2010, but similar on that one too as I recall, I had an 08, before this one and did the same to it....buy your 08 Hypertech programmer off ebay used cheap..;) Thats where I sell mine when I sell my used pickups and they are always on there

rbodine

I have a 5.4 in my 06.. And I am less than thrilled... B/t the nightmare of changing plugs, now cam phasers going bad...all at 123,000 miles.. Always used synthetic, changed every 5k.. Wtf..my brother is a ford tech for past 20 yrs and also hates the 5.4 motors

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't forget about the engine spitting out spark plugs, rips the threads out of the head. That is the 2V version.
Then the 3V version with the 2-piece spark plug that breaks when you try to remove them.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I have a 5.4 in my 06.. And I am less than thrilled... B/t the nightmare of changing plugs, now cam phasers going bad...all at 123,000 miles.. Always used synthetic, changed every 5k.. Wtf..my brother is a ford tech for past 20 yrs and also hates the 5.4 motors

yep lots of fun and people think the new 5.0 is so great with its varible timing cam phasers are bound to fail they are nice when they work but they can only work for so long.