• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

feedback on TBP Underdash AC? Not the Vintage Air, this one...

chuckyb

Contributor
I've read a lot about the pros and cons of Vintage Air and BC Bronco's AC unit, but really can't find anything about this one. Anyone have feedback / experience / pictures?

As it's pictured, I kind of like the fitment under the dash and like that it is AC only (not heat and defrost). From the instructions on the TBP site, seems like minimal drilling. I plan on running my stock 289 with either a stock or possibly aftermarket PS pump.

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/air-conditioning-kit-underdash-v8-289302-66-77-ford-bronco-new

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I think this is the unit that works with the factory heater box... That stays.

I have not used it, went the BCB route since I had Explorer Serp and could use the Factory compressor. I will say that nothing heats up a Bronco cab like the factory box with the Che*y conversion parts done.

The one thing that everyone overlooks is that you need to insulate your cab and hardtop.

Or else you are just riding around in a bread box on a hot day with cool air blowing on your knees... %)

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No help but it looks exactly like the one that was in my 77 from the dealer, got it in a milk crate from the PO

OP
OP
chuckyb

chuckyb

Contributor
Thanks, guys....

@904Bronco: Agree, I plan on good insulation up and down and also planning to do the Chevy blower conversion. Not tremendous need for heat here in NC but I love a good defrost.

@spap: That is helpful, I like that it's got a retro look.

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
I have one. It puts out good cold air. It is loud. It's definitely better than no ai,r but don't expect it to cool the whole truck. I'm not sure if vintage air will either. It is loud.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am surprised nobody has done a heat evaporator in between the firewall boot and the stock heater box. There is enough room. Then it needs a box around it, drain, inlet and outlet. This is how my aftermarket was setup for my datsun 240z. Works fine.