• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco from scratch?

mebco09

Hey All-

New guy on here. Been lurking for a long time, quick intro-I've been a mustang guy forever, My Dad has a 1967 ex-US Army EB. My kids want one now. Wife gave me the green light. I've missed a couple of good trucks lately, but for me, the fun is in the hunt.

My question is, how feasible would it be to try and build a bronco from scratch? Has anyone tried it, and where would you run into trouble? VINs might be a problem, but what if you used a donor for that? (legal?). What if you bought a complete frame, brakes, axles, suspension etc, and then a complete new tub/fenders etc? At what point does this become not feasible?

Thanks in advance for your input.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
If you found a donor with a frame and title that match you should be good. To my knowledge the tub does not need a vin in most States.You can find tubs once in a while that are in decent shape or get a Bronco that needs a lot of sheet metal work and replace panels. You can also build a body from new parts but I think that is a tough chore unless you have jigs set up or a good body to get good measurements.
Anything is possible, its just a matter of how much money and time you can throw at a project. Most folks fall under two categories, more time than money or more money than time. You just need to figure out where you are and what you can accomplish.
If you check out a lot of the major build threads on this site you will see what you are up against. I don't think there is a problem out there that someone here hasn't figured out. That is the great thing about this community, so much information in one place. I know I would not be where I am without a ton of help from the Great Folks here!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mikesimp70

Hey All-

New guy on here. Been lurking for a long time, quick intro-I've been a mustang guy forever, My Dad has a 1967 ex-US Army EB. My kids want one now. Wife gave me the green light. I've missed a couple of good trucks lately, but for me, the fun is in the hunt.

My question is, how feasible would it be to try and build a bronco from scratch? Has anyone tried it, and where would you run into trouble? VINs might be a problem, but what if you used a donor for that? (legal?). What if you bought a complete frame, brakes, axles, suspension etc, and then a complete new tub/fenders etc? At what point does this become not feasible?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I cant think of anything that you cant get your hands on but hang onto your credit card. The most challenging part has to be putting the tub and body together. If you dont have mad skills this part could be the most challenging.

LilMixedUp

Loc.
Bonaire
X3 as what has been said... Krawlers Edge has nice new frames; and as above dennis carpenter has completed tubs now for $20K, so for 30K you can have a brand new rolling chassis! Just all depends on what you want and how deep your pockets:)

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
A good survivor frame with a matching title is a good starting point. Be sure to visually see the title and the stamped vin on the frame. If they don’t match runaway. Some may try and sell you a glovebox door with a matching title but that will not work in most states if you have to sell. I am starting from scratch. I began with a 77 frame and matching title. Since then Ive bought most everything else over the last four years. Between military deployments (presently deployed now), tee ball, two youngins and life I have tried my best to put it together. It’s slowly coming together. Chk out my build thread.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... From the old mans point of view I'll say It'll just end up being too much money .

... NOW FOR MY SALES PITCH. I have one that is solid but will need most every thing .But I've got lots of parts. & the title . & Not much rust. So i'M GOING TO SAY .. Something like mine at $5000.00 would be a much better deal.
& I'd sau mine finished at about 20k will be a lot cheaper.
.. But sorry at I think one from scratch would be 40K.

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
I so wish the metal body that is currently available was around when I tore my truck apart and rebuilt it. Would have saved me years. So yes, possible, but time is money.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I did it, picked up a tub, replaced all of the rusted metal, hand built the chassis, suspension, and pieced together the rest of the parts. Have less in it than most would believe. But I had a mountain of spare parts to start with. But I built something that looks like a bronco, but its nothing more than a hand built off road truck that has street manors that made a Heep chassis engineer scratch his head.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
MY thoughts only:

Do you have the place/tools/knowledge/time to work on it yourself??

Do you have lots of $$$??

Are you willing to wait possibly years to finish it before you enjoy it??

If you said yes to all three, go for it.....

BUT, you may be better off buying the best one you can afford now and enjoying it while making changes/improvements over time. That advice was given to me before I bought mine.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
JBG has frames, and several people offer full tubs, either metal (DC, LAL, others) or fiberglass (Bronco Design). Between the vendors, I believe every part you could possibly need is available new, not to mention used. So yes, you could build one out of a few catalogs. Buy a titled donor for reference of what goes where and the title/VIN and you are off to the races.

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
If you build from scratch and do it yourself expect to spend about 25-30K plus when its all said and done. The tub kits are 4,500 then add on all the misc parts, drive train etc...it gets expensive

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
One thing is if you do it over time the cost is easier to absorb. Kind of like a car payment. Spread it over a few years 30 grand doesn't seem to bad. And if you do build from scratch and the time comes to roll it out the door and drive it for the first time it will be such a great sense of accomplishment. Gives a true meaning to the phrase "Built Not Bought". Ken

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I agree with everyone that it would be expensive but even if it was $50K, you would have a brand new zero mileage early Bronco. I will be the first one to say I am too cheap for that, by a long shot, but we are all talking about wanting the 2020 Bronco to be capable and this is the price range we have been hearing. Every piece exactly what you want...The frosting on the cake would be to find a low mileage totaled diesel...

Muddy1966Bronco

Loc.
Central PA
How handy are you? A metal brake, tons of time, and not caring about magazine perfect has saved me thousands. But I like creating and having my hands in everything, even if it’s not perfect. I can do body work and any drivetrain work. The only thing I haven’t tackled is transmission rebuilds on my own.

So from my point of view, I’d wait around and buy a paired lot...2, maybe 3 Broncos sold together as a deal. Get one good frame/title out of them, then piece through all the parts you want and sell the rest. Maybe it’s just me, but I have two I’m working from and it’s been very cost effective. I’ll have maybe 10k total, purchase included, into my build. But I’m a stay at home mom and can spend 4 hours a day in the garage easily. I’ll put 20 hours in to save $100. You don’t have to spend 40k to have a nice bronco on the road if you can put the work and time in. No insult to you guys that do spend it! I love seeing those perfect rigs too!

OP
OP
M

mebco09

How handy are you? A metal brake, tons of time, and not caring about magazine perfect has saved me thousands. But I like creating and having my hands in everything, even if it’s not perfect. I can do body work and any drivetrain work. The only thing I haven’t tackled is transmission rebuilds on my own.

So from my point of view, I’d wait around and buy a paired lot...2, maybe 3 Broncos sold together as a deal. Get one good frame/title out of them, then piece through all the parts you want and sell the rest. Maybe it’s just me, but I have two I’m working from and it’s been very cost effective. I’ll have maybe 10k total, purchase included, into my build. But I’m a stay at home mom and can spend 4 hours a day in the garage easily. I’ll put 20 hours in to save $100. You don’t have to spend 40k to have a nice bronco on the road if you can put the work and time in. No insult to you guys that do spend it! I love seeing those perfect rigs too!

I think that you are right that you need a parts truck or two for all the small items. I would think that all those items will add up fast if you were to buy them outright.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The number one thing you will need to build one from scratch is very deep pockets.
Many years ago a magazine built a recent model car from all new parts bought through dealerships and parts stores; it cost a little over 2 1/2 times what the same car sold for off the showroom floor.

Building an all new out of production for over 40 years rare vehicle would be much more expensive.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Yup you could do it with enough time, skill, and money. But I will agree with others that if you can get yourself a truck to start with it will make it a much easier project. Yeah maybe you only use 20% of that donor truck but seeing how it all goes together, getting all the little brackets, tabs and do dads that you need will save you time and money. And after its all done you can sell what ever is left. Oh and having the title and frame from a original truck will make life much easier when it comes time to tag and title it.