• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV3550 to Cold Duck, can this be done?

CTCleland

Loc.
Windsor
I have a 74' with a T-18 and Cold Duck dual case set up, I am wondering if anyone has put the NV3550 in front to the cold duck, does it mate up? My guess is yes but wanted to see if anyone has done that swap before.
Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey CTC, welcome to classicbroncos!
I have no idea, but figured I'd respond to welcome you and to get your question back to the top of the page.

Just about anything can be done, but not sure what yours would take. More and more people using the 3550's, but few have ever seen, much less used a Cold Duck setup anymore.

Good luck.

Paul

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If the 3550 was setup to fit a Dana 20 wouldn't it work with the cold duck with maybe some linkage mods?

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It should work. You may have to drill a new dowel hole. I haven't messed with mine since I got it in July(?).

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, anything that will mate to the D20 will mate to the Cold Duck. I wouldn't worry about the dial pin. It's cut off on both of mine, just line it up and bolt it on.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, anything that will mate to the D20 will mate to the Cold Duck. I wouldn't worry about the dial pin. It's cut off on both of mine, just line it up and bolt it on.

I forget the D20 case slides already centers on whatever adapter is used. I guess it's been too long since I've looked at one--maybe a month?? LOL.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
FYI, I asked Jim Creel at OCBR if he knew of anyone ever breaking the shaft in a cold duck, he could only remember one, said it broke where it was welded and repaired.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Time to bring back the cold duck? I didn't know the shafts were welded.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have one I'm going to look into having copied before I install it. Not sure how popular they would ever get, but I think it'd be good to have spares without someone having to tear one down to get real dimensions.

OP
OP
C

CTCleland

Loc.
Windsor
Thank you everyone for your input....It would make sense that the NV3550 would mate up with the kit from Wild horses, as the cold duck is two Dana 20's. Currently I have the old T-18 and Cold Duck set up, with 4.11, but wanted to have more fun driving around town so I thought 5-speed, and 4.56 gears would do the trick.
If anyone comes up with more input I would appreciate it. Thanks.