• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Blue Sea 12 circuit fuse box

VB67bronco

Loc.
Va Beach
I’m installing a new fuse box and running all the existing wires from the original 1967 fuse box to this new Blue Sea Fuse block
50fd82c19f479838ffd892148224b9e4.jpg

It has now occurred to me that I may need the Split Bus Fuse block
fb4c4eb5d1eaeb472e85e3776586b905.jpg
with 6 Constant hot circuits and 6 circuits which are only hot when the ignition is on, so the dome light and the courtesy lights will have power running to them when the ignition is off. Is this true? Or can I use the standard fuse block?

If I use the Split Bus fuse block, which has two positive terminals can I just run two wires from the positive terminal on my battery to these two terminals??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think members here have used both of those for different things over the years. Very nice setups in fact.
But if you're going to be replacing a stock fuse panel with this type, you definitely need the split one so you can control stuff with the key. Just like the stock panel.
The only reasonable alternative is to have two separate panels. And that's not really all that reasonable!

You do not want the power coming from the battery for both. Anything that's connected to the battery directly will have power all the time and there will be no switching function because the key is not involved.
So one stud gets battery power, and the other one has a wire coming from the ignition switch output. Best bet is the center post on the ignition switch, with the Black w/green wire.
The center post is hot when in ACC and ON, so is good for accessories like the radio and heater. The other wires connected to the ignition switch are the Green w/red, Red w/green, and Red w/blue. Normally those would stay on the ignition switch and run straight to their loads, without going through the new fuse panel.
If your particular switch has 2 separate Green w/red wires, it's possible one of them could go to the fuse panel, but we'll have to take that on a case by case basis. Depends on what you want on the key, but for general purposes, use only the Black w/green wire.

Paul

OP
OP
VB67bronco

VB67bronco

Loc.
Va Beach
I was going to run the black and yellow power supply wire from the original fuse box to the pos terminal on the new fuse block.. it comes from the alternator for all the constant hot circuits but the black and green wire you’re referring too leave the ignition post and goes to the 14 Amp fuse in the original fuse box. So I can Cut this black and green wire off of the original fuse box and connected it to the other positive terminal on the split bus fuse block? And It will supply power to those fuses once the ignition is turned on or is in the ACC position?
1e29b8687d62b746721dd8654b21237b.jpg

Also can I place a new fuse in the new fuse block for the wires that share the same fuse in the original fuse box? Wires 2, 2a and wires 3 and 3a?

price209

Loc.
Folsom
I was going to run the black and yellow power supply wire from the original fuse box to the pos terminal on the new fuse block.. it comes from the alternator for all the constant hot circuits but the black and green wire you’re referring too leave the ignition post and goes to the 14 Amp fuse in the original fuse box. So I can Cut this black and green wire off of the original fuse box and connected it to the other positive terminal on the split bus fuse block? And It will supply power to those fuses once the ignition is turned on or is in the ACC position?
1e29b8687d62b746721dd8654b21237b.jpg

Also can I place a new fuse in the new fuse block for the wires that share the same fuse in the original fuse box? Wires 2, 2a and wires 3 and 3a?

Wire 3 comes directly off the headlight switch to control your instrument lights so you will need to run a simple inline fuse on that since it is powered by neither the constant 12v or the switched 12v.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I wouldn't waste my time trying to replace a fuse panel with a stock harness. If you need a new panel, you are going to need a new harness as well.

Now the Blue Sea is a good piece. I have used them to wire boats. One of the nicer universal fuse panels. The split panel is nice so you can have switched and unswitched branches in a single panel. That part is new to me. I could have used that one on the boat rewire a few years back. But I would consider them more as a sub-panel and not so much as a main panel.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was going to run the black and yellow power supply wire from the original fuse box to the pos terminal on the new fuse block.. it comes from the alternator for all the constant hot circuits

Correct. Should work fine.
Note one additional thing in your diagram though. See the shaded thick lines connecting some of the fuses? Those indicate buss-bars interconnecting those particular circuits to each other. So the Black w/yellow wire powers every fuse on that particular buss-bar, while the Black w/green wire powers the fused circuits on the other buss-bar.
Effectively then, circuit 2a powers fused circuits 1 and 2, in addition to the two blank spots you can see next to them.
Black w/yellow #6 more obviously feeds #4 and #5.

...but the black and green wire you’re referring too leave the ignition post and goes to the 14 Amp fuse in the original fuse box. So I can Cut this black and green wire off of the original fuse box and connected it to the other positive terminal on the split bus fuse block?

Correct.

And It will supply power to those fuses once the ignition is turned on or is in the ACC position?

Correct.

In theory you do not need a fuse on 2a (Black w/green) because there is none there from the factory, and it does not have any other unprotected loads attached to it to protect. Other than the wire itself.
In practice of course, it's not a bad idea to have one. Up to you, but in my case I usually leave those unprotected, but do my durndest to make sure that the wire itself is protected.

The Blue w/red wire should definitely have it's own new 2a fuse in the new panel. But as mentioned, the power comes from a source other than the Black w/yellow wire, because it's controlled by the rheostat/dimmer thingy in the headlight switch.
In most Early Broncos, that circuit only controls the instrument panel illumination lamps. In '73 and later models this included the dash "light bars" indicating the other control knobs.
Some EB's were optioned with a dome lamp (in the electric wiper motor cover) and/or a map light (under the dash) that were only lit when the headlight switch rheostat was turned all the way to the click.

Broncobowsher is correct in general terms with regard to probably most Broncos. But if your overall wiring is in good shape and is lacking the usual PO hacks, nothing wrong with continuing to use it. I could do it on my '71 because the wires are practically perfect. There are however, way too many Broncos who's time has come to retire the original wiring.
So quite frankly, if any of your wires are feeling old and tired, dried out or worse still, cracking up, or a PO or three have had their way with it, it's time to replace the entire harness.

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you planning any electrical upgrades that would be working off of the switched section?
If so you might consider using the ignition switch to energize a relay, and use the relay to power the panel directly from the battery.
Takes all the main load off of the old ignition switch and it's smallish wires, and lets you add power hoggers almost to your heart's content.

Since relays are just "remote switches" that can handle bigger loads than the old switch was likely intended to carry (or at least as much), and can then let you utilize shorter wire runs with the same gauge wire for power feed, it's pretty much why all modern vehicles run multiple relays to power accessories.
Even though they add one more potential failure point, they're relatively inexpensive and generally easy to replace quickly.

Makes them good candidates for lots of things.

Paul

JCBombardier

Here’s how I replaced my stock fuse block with one of the Blue Sea fuse blocks. All wires are original so you can see how the colors compare to the diagram you posted. This particular kit came with a few buss bar jumpers (zoom in on the right side) that allows you to run multiple accessories off one power source.

bb935b420ab58feedf479d781e0c33cd.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool, thanks for the pic!
Do you have any shots of how it's mounted? Is it permanent, or more of an "accessible to work on" kind of setup?

Paul

JCBombardier

I made a bracket so I could mount it in the original location where the wiring harness comes through the firewall. No pics of it mounted but here’s the bracket.

269861e52f1bd3fcd31927b543fa06b8.jpg

e033ca34ab39b25fd82206f5e3c1d064.jpg

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
Are you planning any electrical upgrades that would be working off of the switched section?
If so you might consider using the ignition switch to energize a relay, and use the relay to power the panel directly from the battery.
Takes all the main load off of the old ignition switch and it's smallish wires, and lets you add power hoggers almost to your heart's content.

Since relays are just "remote switches" that can handle bigger loads than the old switch was likely intended to carry (or at least as much), and can then let you utilize shorter wire runs with the same gauge wire for power feed, it's pretty much why all modern vehicles run multiple relays to power accessories.
Even though they add one more potential failure point, they're relatively inexpensive and generally easy to replace quickly.

Makes them good candidates for lots of things.

Paul

I have a Blue Sea unit as a sub-panel. I made it switched on with key on. From battery power, first an inline fuse (60 amp), then a relay (rated above 60 amp) connected to key on power. This gives you a power source separate from the original wiring.

OP
OP
VB67bronco

VB67bronco

Loc.
Va Beach
Seems a lot more complicated than I had anticipated... I was only going to add interior rock lights for some ambient light in the truck.. that’s why I wanted to replace the original fuse box with one I could add accessories to..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Subpanel. Leave stock wiring alone. Put all the new wiring on its own panel. You have the right idea, just making it too hard for no reason.

OP
OP
VB67bronco

VB67bronco

Loc.
Va Beach
I have a Blue Sea unit as a sub-panel. I made it switched on with key on. From battery power, first an inline fuse (60 amp), then a relay (rated above 60 amp) connected to key on power. This gives you a power source separate from the original wiring.

You have a picture of that??

So I decided to keep my original fuse box the way it is.. I think I’ll install the fuse block as you recommend... to power new accessories.. Ill keep the normal Blue Sea 12 circuit fuse block and run a wire from the ignition post to the Pos terminal on it so they all come on with the ignition on or the key in the ACC position..

Thanks for all your advice and help! I’m not much of an electrician so I’ll keep it simple..

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would recommend using the switched ignition to switch a relay to power the accessory side of the fuse panel. That way you are not trying to pull extra power through the ignition switch.

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
no picture.

...from battery power (+) run short 8 gauge wire to fuse. Then short 8 gauge wire to relay . Then an 8 gauge wire to your sub panel.
My panel has a ground (-) side on it. So, 8 gauge ground wire from sub panel to a good grounding spot.

Only use a 50 amp or lower rated fuse with this set up. My research indicates my 60 amp fuse is to big. Will be changing to 50 amp. I'm powering heated seats, a/c, etc.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, most are. Especially by now!
Many were starting to corrode by the time they were four or five years old in fact. And the less the Bronco was used, the more likely the fuse panel to build up some ugliness.

My Bronco was only five years old when I bought it and even then I had to remove all the fuses, brush them down a bit and then re-install them. That action alone made everything work better because my trouble was just a little buildup.
At this point I'd bet most of them are at least lightly rusted, if not fully fubarred with the red grunge.

Paul