Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech

Old 07/19/18, 10:07 PM   #181
Jamie Chriss
Contributor

San Clemente

My Gallery
Plugging away, this stuff is way beyond my ability! A little good news the front gears look really clean and I think will match up with my new rear gears, crossing my fingers but it looks good so far. I have no idea how to take the gears out to clean up and send to powder coating...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (214.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (117.9 KB, 30 views)
Jamie Chriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/18, 10:38 PM   #182
Rustytruck
Contributor
Bronco Guru

honest the bolder ran under me

El Monte CA
Garage
Mark the the bearing caps and the housing if their not marked already so the left cap and the right cap wont get swapped on reasembly. My dana 44 was marked from the factory so I didnt have to mark it. Then remove the 4 cap bolts. And pry out the differential. You may have to rotate the the pinion yoke as you remove the diferential on each end of the differential the bearing races will come out and fall off. Once its out, tie wrap the bearing race and bearing cap to its origional side of the differential . Do the same on the other side and stuff it all in a heavy plastic bag. Loosen the pinion nut before you take the ring gear carrier out. Let the gears help you hold the yoke. Would have ben better to loosen when the front axle is locked up sitting on its tires. After you get it all apart there are axle seals inside where where the carrier bearings were. You may also find tapered tube sections inside the axle tube. Which are guides when you put the axles back in.

1974, stock 302, C4, BFG KM2 33x12.5x15, 8in rim, detroit rear, trutrac front 4.11 gearing, Warflairs,2.5" lift, chevy disc conversion, Hydraboost, owned since Christmas Eve 1977
Rustytruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/18, 10:42 PM   #183
Rustytruck
Contributor
Bronco Guru

El Monte CA
Garage
Forgot, wear good gloves when disassembling this stuff. Allot of sharp edges and heavy parts. One slip can lead to a bad day. Work over a couple pieces of heavy cardboard. The fingers you save may be yours.

1974, stock 302, C4, BFG KM2 33x12.5x15, 8in rim, detroit rear, trutrac front 4.11 gearing, Warflairs,2.5" lift, chevy disc conversion, Hydraboost, owned since Christmas Eve 1977
Old 07/20/18, 10:50 AM   #184
SDBMtber
Contributor

San Diego
Also make sure you save the carrier and pinion shims. Should be able to re-use as is if only changing bearings. If you’re putting a new carrier in for locker, or different gears, you’ll still want measure old shims as starting place for setting up new gears.
SDBMtber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/18, 12:22 PM   #185
Jamie Chriss
Contributor

San Clemente

My Gallery
Thanks for the advice!!
Old 07/20/18, 03:10 PM   #186
Jamie Chriss
Contributor

San Clemente

My Gallery
I also want to remove the Knuckles, not sure how to get those bolts out, both my pittman tools are too small, any advice?
Old 07/20/18, 05:48 PM   #187
Rustytruck
Contributor
Bronco Guru

El Monte CA
Garage
When in doubt go to You tube. If a Jeep Girl can do it so can you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38ORov05f7E

I would leave the nuts on loose so you dont bugger up the threads and it wont fly apart like hers did.

Old 07/20/18, 11:24 PM   #188
Jamie Chriss
Contributor

San Clemente

My Gallery
Google addiction, thanks thought about that after I asked the question. What about removing the pivoting screw attached to the knuckle?
Old 07/21/18, 12:54 AM   #189
DirtDonk
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Jose, CA
What do you mean by pivoting screw? The limiting bolt that's got a bit of a tack weld on it?

Paul

'71 Wagon, 3.5" WH, F150 disc brakes and steering, 4.11 33x11.50 Thornbirds, Kayline soft top, Hanson bumpers. "Built, not bought"

'68 LUBR, 2.5 + 1 WH, 31x10.50, 4.56, Explorer and 4R70w by EFI Guy, WH disc brakes, Hanson front bumper, Warn winch. "Bought, not built"

www.wildhorses4x4.com
DirtDonk is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Tech