• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Let's talk lock out hubs

Authorizedcc

Mile Marker or Warn Hubs. Which do you prefer?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
actually stock are pretty strong or warn would be my vote

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
warn premiums are nice. I just bought a set of some Yukons which are clearly built for more of an offroad type vehicle vs a daily driver that sees the occasional sandy road. If they break, they break locked allowing you to get off the trail.

buck68

With the choice you gave me, I'd definitely pick warn. Personally, I'd use stock hubs.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
X3 for stock if you can. Are yours still original? If so are they still in good shape? If so, use 'em.
If not, then x3 on the Warn as well. I happen to like the MileMarkers, Superwinch, and just about any of the others. Warn just happens to be easier to find in a pinch.

The Yukons like CA Monkey mentioned might be more bucks, but they are patterned after the original Spicer hubs and made of better materials for an application like this than the aftermarket ones are.
And as mentioned, like the factory lockouts/freerunning hubs, they fail in the locked position.
Not many of us knock a hub knob off on the rocks anymore, but that was one of the thoughts behind it.
Hub bolts do come loose though, and while it's been awhile since I heard of someone losing a knob out on the trail, it's not unheard of.

Paul

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Had Mile Markers on my 71' when I bought it in 2012 and had zero issues with them. Came across a good deal on a set of Warn Premiums last year and swapped them in, and busted one on the last day of OCBR lol.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I had milemarkers and the bolts were always lose.

Turns out there is supposed to be an o-ring to keep the cover tight.

I went to Yukon and love them !

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
The stock Spicers are hard to beat. Otherwise I run Warn. The only hubs I've seen issues with were Mile Marker and their warranty was worthless.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Stockers for me. Money better spent elsewhere. Weak link is the axle spend money there.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just bought a set of some Yukons which are clearly built for more of an offroad type vehicle vs a daily driver that sees the occasional sandy road. If they break, they break locked allowing you to get off the trail.

Stock hubs fail in the locked position as well. It's not an offroad vs driver thing, it's about strength.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The reason the Warn hubs and others became popular is they are easier to turn than the Spicer hubs, but the trade off to get that is they are weaker than the Spicers.
Buyers either did not know they were weaker or did not care.

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
how much real 4xing is really being done? I lock my hubs in just about every weekend and use them and have been really happy with the basic MM low cost ,found a deal on 20 thousand miles ago . I also use them on my 92 f150 when the auto lock hubs failed 8 yrs ago. these rigs are used for off road recovery and crawling around the rocks and mountains here in the So Cal deserts, so they do get used in real world testing .;)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I don't know about the economy version of the mile marker, but the premium version I had were pretty sweet. And those were my favorites. They worked, never gave issues, were stronger than upgraded axles and U-joints. Nice part was the pre-selector. If the teeth didn't line up, a spring put pressure on them until you moved and they would drop right in. Same thing for getting out, turn the knob and drive. If it was bound it didn't matter. As soon as the bind was gone the spring would unlock them.

They just worked.

The trouble is you asked about brands. Which is a meaningless question. Since each brand has a couple different grades of hubs. And they are different. If you get the cheap version, expect problems, with either brand. But with the premium versions, the Warn is the one that I had issues with trying to get in and out of 4WD due to binding where the mile marker didn't have issues.

I have not had the need to experiment further with Yukon. The only issue I had with the spicer was the plastic knob. Exposed plastic, in AZ, sun rot.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Once upon a time mm made one called the ultimate hub part #101. They were awesome but they quit making em at least 10 years ago. Now the only option for a similar hub is the yukons. I've broken a few of the warn premiums. I had better luck with the mm premium (not the ultimate) than the warns.

OP
OP
Authorizedcc

Authorizedcc

Asking because when i do the disc brake conversion, they say to replace the hubs. Why?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Asking because when i do the disc brake conversion, they say to replace the hubs. Why?

What they are talking about is the axle hubs not the locking hubs, those are different between the drum hubs and the disc rotor hubs.
If you look at the locking hubs there is no different part number for disc vs drum.

Quick & Dirty

The only issue with stock lockouts is they can stick in the disengaged position. Too much grease, old sticky grease, or a damaged wheel hub can create more resistance than the spring can overcome. Turn the knob, and the clutch ring doesn't slide out to engage the axle sleeve.

As routine maintenance, clean the old grease out, check that the clutch ring moves smoothly in the hub, and reassemble with just enough new grease to protect the parts from moisture.

OP
OP
Authorizedcc

Authorizedcc

What they are talking about is the axle hubs not the locking hubs, those are different between the drum hubs and the disc rotor hubs.
If you look at the locking hubs there is no different part number for disc vs drum.
No they say we highly recommend a set of premium warn or Mile Marker hubs

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've broken the aluminum insert section of many an aftermarket lockout. Those Yukons appear to have all the same details..and hence strength..of the the all-steel factory select able hubs. But boy aren't they proud of them with that price?

Frankly..I've always considered the fairly weak aftermarket hubs to be a decent "fuse" to prevent (sometimes) carnage in other more expensive axle components.