• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

vin numbers and Matin prodution dates !

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
I gues by now you all know I am lil nuts about certain built dates and vin numbers !

it started yesterday when this Feb 77 came up for sale !!!
its Vin: U15GLY6667

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286898&page=2

I know per Martin that vin U15GLY0598x is a Feb 16- 1977 ( at least until yesterday I assumed the reports printed by them are all correct ) !?!?

and that's why I got very interested in the one for sale ....
initially I though it could also be a feb 16 -77 but when I did the math:
77 they made 14,546.Broncos ..that's 1212 a month !
working mon-fri ... feb 77 had 20 workdays .. that's 60 broncos per day !

this one is U15GLY06667 - a diff. of 685 vin numbers !
Feb 16th was the 12th working day in 77 ... 61x12=732 broncos made by the end of that day that month !
The average math would tell ya every 8th or 9th vehicle coming of the assembly line was a bronco ... they made average 500 to 550 trucks a day. !?!? wow
even if GLY0598x was on of the first made that day ... based on that
GLY06667 was made on the thu.17th or fri. 18th that month !
After all that number crunching ...

AND THEN IT GOT NUTS !!!

FEB 77 vins are U15GLY00000 to U15GLY19999

okie4570 got GLY0129x made per martin 02-01-77

Slowleak got GLY0139x made per Martin 02-02-77

per martin GLY0598x was made 02-16-77

1, how is it possible to have a 129x vin on the first day of the month ...they didn't make 1300 vehicles that day !?!?!

2, How is it that 10 working days later ( on the 16th to get to Bronco GLY0598x ) they are "only" 4590 vehicles later !?!?

things just didn't add up !!!

so
Just got of the phone w. a lady from Martin ....Not pleasant and she got no clue !

1, she kept saying when you order a martin report from them they call Ford and it is what it is specific to that ordered vin / vin in question !

2, per her Kevin is never in and cant be talked to !

3, when I tired to explain to her the vin number and subsequently per issued reports from them the production date ...she told me to call ford !
when I ask her for the phone number she told me to look it up !

So now ... I need a direct phone number for the ford archive department !!

I am getting to the bottom of that ...even if I need to go to Michigan !
I have this gut feeling that the Martin production dates are TOTAL BS !!! just my opinion I could be wrong !!!

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
Are you sure about the Monday thru Friday work week? My uncle worked for GM in Arlington and he worked all shifts(24 hr) and Saturdays and Sundays.

OP
OP
FRANKO289

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
What the hell??? I guess Marti is getting his money. They don’t have to be helpful.....

Here’s a link to the Ford Archives and it has a phone number. Note that they refer people to Marti.

https://www.thehenryford.org/collec...-resources/popular-topics/production-records/

yet when martin needs info on a specific vin they call Ford !!!!

what I want at this point is a full list of all +/- 1212 broncos made in feb 77 !showing what day what vin was issued & ...same for Sep 1970

or ... at least a list of all vin's made Monday 09-28-70 and all Wednesday 02-16-77 !!

OP
OP
FRANKO289

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Are you sure about the Monday thru Friday work week? My uncle worked for GM in Arlington and he worked all shifts(24 hr) and Saturdays and Sundays.

NO I am NOT .....
but since Ford was one of the first to have a 40h work week ....

Got a martin report that shows a built date that was a SAT or SUN

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I’m not convinced they started with “Y00000” for February production. My Bronco was assigned Y01391 on 1/17 and scheduled for a 2/2 build. Okie’s has the same dates and a Y01296 number yet they were able to build it a day early. Doesn’t seem possible that they built that many vehicles in one day. However, if they started at Y01000 on 2/1 it would seem possible.

Since 1296 was built a day early and 1391 was not, I assume they built more than 296 but less than 391 on 2/1. Let’s say 380 as an average production day.

Franko mentioned, that Y0598x was produced on 2/16. That is 4590 numbers higher than mine built on 2/2. Assuming roughly 380 builds per day, from above, and 12 working days, including the weekend, 380x12=4560.
That’s pretty dang close.....

There is also evidence that some “Y” Broncos were built in January. Here is a quote from an old thread.
i just checked my data plate on my 77 and the letter and build date dont agree the build date is 1/77 and the vin is u152glyoxxxx which should be feb or march i think ford just did whatever came along at the time. i bought my 77 in march of 77 so who knows

OP
OP
FRANKO289

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
ok just got of the phone w. a great friend who worked on the Michigan truck assembly line from 1974 until retirement !

The plant worked Mon-Fri 2 - 8 hour shifts ... ( ford was one of the first to implement 40hour work weeks )

edit: in the late 60s ... they worked a 6h shift on sat. to keep up w. the high demand for Ford trucks !

in the 70s they made at the height of production 38 trucks per hour ...
38 x 16h x 20 working days = 12160 vehicles ..and of that +/-1212 broncos !

Last edited:
OP
OP
FRANKO289

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
I’m not convinced they started with “Y00000” for February production. My Bronco was assigned Y01391 on 1/17 and scheduled for a 2/2 build. Okie’s has the same dates and a Y01296 number yet they were able to build it a day early. Doesn’t seem possible that they built that many vehicles in one day. However, if they started at Y01000 on 2/1 it would seem possible.

Since 1296 was built a day early and 1391 was not, I assume they built more than 296 but less than 391 on 2/1. Let’s say 380 as an average production day.

Franko mentioned, that Y0598x was produced on 2/16. That is 4590 numbers higher than mine built on 2/2. Assuming roughly 380 builds per day, from above, and 12 working days, including the weekend, 380x12=4560.
That’s pretty dang close.....

There is also evidence that some “Y” Broncos were built in January. Here is a quote from an old thread.

need to look for it .... but I have a photo of U15GLY00005

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and yes .... as the plant ran out of certain parts they would pull broncos that were specifically ordered w. that out of stock part off the production line !

like certain color carpet , or posies .... (was just told that )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

every minimum 8th vehicle on the assembly line was a bronco .... never less !!
the reason :

at the plant they had a small parts paint department ...to paint grill , fenders , tailgate aso

ONE guys job was to grab one of them painted grills and both matching fenders att. all the moldings , ford lettering and light buckets
put the fenders and the grill into jig and bolt them together , then take the assembled front clip and carry it ( I was told ) half way across the plant over to the station that put it on the tub !

yeah that took a lil time ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
FRANKO289

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
also .....

in the mid 80s ford cleaned house of all 60s and 70s paperwork / records .

they told a couple of guys to dump them all into a dumpster ... As they did as told a Ford secretary walked by and ask whats going on . The 2 guys told and showed her what they tossing out ....she told them to stop at once and load up all the paperwork into her vehicle !

She later sold all that Built info / paperwork to Martin !

NOW I am super annoyed by the Lady from Martin I talked earlier in the evening ...
per her :
....when they need info about a vin they call FORD !?!!?
%)

OP
OP
FRANKO289

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
For martin to give you stats about your bronco they have to have all bronco vin numbers w. all trim options on a computer that does the math quickly for them .....

not a chance they doing that by pulling the old paperwork out of boxes .... !?!?

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer."

Attachments

• stats.jpg
    stats.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 61

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That lady was Lois Eminger, I know about her because before us Mustang guys could get a "Marti Report" she was the one with info on our cars. You could write to her and for a small fee ($10 or $20 if I remember right) she would send you the second copy of your window sticker. This was the one that had a check mark by each option as it was checked one last time before being shipped out. I've still got the one right here for my Boss 302 that Lois sent me around 1984 or so. I'll try to add a picture of it here for reference. It was awesome info to get back before Marti reports. sadly Lois passed away a few years ago.

Attachments

• myboss window sticker.jpg
    myboss window sticker.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's her! She was great to save all that info that was being destroyed.

OP
OP
FRANKO289

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
OK ... Tried all day to find a way around all that !!

No luck !!

Martin is the only one that's got data sheets for Broncos, but NO Ford Invoice copies ! FORD got no info whatsoever ...

per marti and the computer program / system they have, they can only look up one Bronco / vin at a time ! ...that's per Pamela at Marti !

she gets an order and sends that to a different building where Kevin is to make the Marti report !!!

per her no way to sell me a list of all bronco vin numbers and dates made in 77 !!

or at least a list all 58 vins made Feb 1st 1977 ....

I bet if I could get a hold / talk to Kevin he would say thats not true ....only bc if marti can tell me how many broncos where made in a certain color and trim aso .....
that computer should also be able to tell me all vin made one particular day in whatever year ! ??