• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Kingman AZ wheeling tour? Gauging interest...

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I'd like to get a trip together to wheel in Kingman in the next few weeks (before it's HOT) if anyone's interested.

Thinking about making it a 2 or 3 day trail/tour type of of run. Maybe run Sleeping Princess in the Blacks West of town early Friday afternoon or Saturday morning then run up the south end of the Hualapais camp out at Pine Flats, Saturday/Sunday run down to the Hualapai Mansion, and maybe run a trail East of Wickieup run over Goodwin Mesa to Burro Creek maybe camp there(awesome swimming hole)/ or back to highway 93 at Nothing? This could easily be 2 rather long days or an easy 3 day tour.

If you've never wheeled in Mohave County before it's really some of the better wheeling in AZ! Ask Sprinksbeme... This trip would go by some very interesting historical mines and even a couple of homesteads with complete buildings. Loads of wildlife, desert Mule Deer, Roosevelt Elk, Javelina, Gila Monsters, Loads of Rattlesnakes (several species). 100+ miles of dirt back roads and trails, there's even a gas station in there somewhere...

It would be a great trip if we could get at least 5-6 rigs together, even better if we had a support truck to haul some camping gear... Sleeping Princess would be the hardest trail, but the rest could easily be done with 33"s and a locker, I think it could all be done with 31"s (That's what I run) if your careful. Marty could correct me on this one.

Let me know if it sounds like a good trip. The middle of May would be pretty good, it will be warm but probably not in the 90's yet...

This is a good time of year there.... The desert will still be green.

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
I would normally be interested in am in for a future run. I need to plan ahead though and need to plan a couple months out. May is a bad month, tons of stuff going on. Maybe in the fall.

Lebe

Loc.
Phx
I'd like to get a trip together to wheel in Kingman in the next few weeks (before it's HOT) if anyone's interested.

Thinking about making it a 2 or 3 day trail/tour type of of run. Maybe run Sleeping Princess in the Blacks West of town early Friday afternoon or Saturday morning then run up the south end of the Hualapais camp out at Pine Flats, Saturday/Sunday run down to the Hualapai Mansion, and maybe run a trail East of Wickieup run over Goodwin Mesa to Burro Creek maybe camp there(awesome swimming hole)/ or back to highway 93 at Nothing? This could easily be 2 rather long days or an easy 3 day tour.

If you've never wheeled in Mohave County before it's really some of the better wheeling in AZ! Ask Sprinksbeme... This trip would go by some very interesting historical mines and even a couple of homesteads with complete buildings. Loads of wildlife, desert Mule Deer, Roosevelt Elk, Javelina, Gila Monsters, Loads of Rattlesnakes (several species). 100+ miles of dirt back roads and trails, there's even a gas station in there somewhere...

It would be a great trip if we could get at least 5-6 rigs together, even better if we had a support truck to haul some camping gear... Sleeping Princess would be the hardest trail, but the rest could easily be done with 33"s and a locker, I think it could all be done with 31"s (That's what I run) if your careful. Marty could correct me on this one.

Let me know if it sounds like a good trip. The middle of May would be pretty good, it will be warm but probably not in the 90's yet...

This is a good time of year there.... The desert will still be green.

Would be interested but heading to Moab on Wednesday for the Safari.

Really would like to see a Roosevelt elk. They're supposed to be extinct since the early 1900s. All the elk I'm aware of in AZ are Rocky Mountain elk imported from WY or CO last century.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
I'd be interested, but my EB is more than a few weeks from being driveable under the best of circumstances. And my ranger is still too pretty for any real wheeling.

I could bring my honda.....

yjzonie

Loc.
Scottsdale, AZ
Sounds like a great trip and would be interested. Will follow along to see if we can get more to go. Being unemployed for six months is really taking a toll on me. Need to get out and away from the valley for a few days or get a job again...

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
Sounds like fun but the problem is I'd have to take 2 days off work (Fri and Sat)to do it. Not that it couldn't be done though just need lots of notice. What dates are you thinking?

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
Casey, sounds like fun. post up a couple dates. May is a busy month Got a couple over night runs planed already. Burro Creek area sound good too. Other than Kaiser Canyon and around Wikieup I've not seen much.

Going to do the Mansion with another group and Kabba mine on the 16th and 17th of May. Few more along would not hurt.
Marty

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
If we can swing it for May it'll have to be the last weekend of the month, first weekend in June(if it's not too hot then). Other than that I'm considering bumping it to the fall or possibly November.

Marty if I'm not in Anaheim that weekend on a business trip I might run up to join you, assuming my new suspension system is finished by then... More to follow on that one

70_Steve

Old Guy
Sounds like fun but the problem is I'd have to take 2 days off work (Fri and Sat)to do it. Not that it couldn't be done though just need lots of notice. What dates are you thinking?
X2. I'd love to see that area, but I work Friday and Saturday also. Already had to take off to go to the Stampede. Need plenty of notice. Put me on the "Maybe" list.

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
Sleeping Princess Can be done with 31" tires and lockers, But there are two sections or extensions to the Princess that are more difficult.
One of those is called Hell's Half mile, I've seen Heep's with 33" tires make on good days but really 35" min on a Bronco with good Rocker Protection is a must, Body damage is highly probable here.
Frustration Rock is also one to beat up a Bronc, We only know ow 5 people that have made it. I was #3, It is a very small obstacle that Wheelbase is the make it or break it deal more than any other factor.
The Bob Miller extension can be done with the right line choices.

Be fun to have you there, Pre ran about 4 day s worth of trails today, Kabba Mine and the Moss Wash OHV Trail were a lot of fun today. We also ran the lower Moss wash (4 Rated) and Cedar Wash (4++) trail for those who like it rough.

There were just 2 of us so we hopped through it fast.
Marty

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Believe it or not Marty I've don Upper and Lower Moss and Cedar Wash's in a Tahoe on 33"s and of coarse in the Power Wagon. The Tahoe might have gotten some slight rocker modification above the mansion a couple of times...

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
Believe it or not Marty I've don Upper and Lower Moss and Cedar Wash's in a Tahoe on 33"s and of coarse in the Power Wagon. The Tahoe might have gotten some slight rocker modification above the mansion a couple of times...

I believe it, these washes change every year, some time weekly. We had 3 good snows this year and fast melt offs, so thing are quite fun right now. The falls in cedar are still running water, I had to winch twice.

Casey you might like this picture, kind of bad quality. It takes place a half mile above the mansion when you climb out of the wash. You may recognize the Spotter, The company truck had major rocker damage on both sides.
PLD1.jpg

Our club the Walapai 4 Wheelers were doing one of our cleanups for public lands Day in 2004.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Really would like to see a Roosevelt elk. They're supposed to be extinct since the early 1900s. All the elk I'm aware of in AZ are Rocky Mountain elk imported from WY or CO last century.

They are a mixture of Rocky mountain and Roosevelt elk it seems there were a few left when the Rocky mountains were introduced its said Rossevelts had larger Racks than rockys might be why there are a lot of world class elk here.

As for the trip I'm a maybe. I have a turkey hunt going on but if its at the end of the month then I should be good. I guess I'll have to put the 73 tear down on hold. Not real sure on my 71 havent driven it more than a few miles in the last 3 years and its only got 31's.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
How would the last weekend in May work? Say Friday May 29th through Sunday the 31st?

If we could meet in the morning we could run Sleeping princess and have plenty of time to get up the back side of the Hualapais to be in camp by mid to late afternoon... I don't think it will be too hot by then? If it is we could modify our plans and cancel the Burro Creek part and wheel another couple of local trials where it would be cooler. There's a couple of semi scenic trails in the Truxton area and it would be a great place to camp also.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
If we can swing it for May it'll have to be the last weekend of the month, first weekend in June(if it's not too hot then). Other than that I'm considering bumping it to the fall or possibly November.

If it gets bumped to the fall, I'd be more likely to be able to make it. I also have another buddy in Phoenix who is building a 67 and he might have his rig on the road by then as well...

No worries if everybody wants to do a spring trip though. Maybe you'll just have to organize two trips ;)