• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Insurance Problems

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
Hi everyone. I am wondering if any of you other Bronco owners have ever had trouble getting insurance for your early Broncos. The problem I'm running into is that when my insurance agent types my vin into the computer it comes up as a 1980 instead of a 1971. From everything I have read about vin decoding my vin appears to be a valid 1971 vin. THe number is an 11 letter/number combo starting with U15. The help desk for the software my agent uses is saying that a 71 Bronco is only supposed to have a 5 digit vin. That is completely contrary to everything I have read about decoding vins. From what I understand, the U15 is the series, the next digit is the engine, followed by the plant where it was built followed by a letter with 5 numbers that indicates the build month. That is a total of 11 digits that should be there. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be here? Thanks for any insights.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Same reason that most on-line VIN searches no worky either. From Wikipedia:

A Vehicle Identification Number, commonly abbreviated to VIN, is a unique serial number used by the automotive industry to identify individual motor vehicles. Prior to 1981, there was not an accepted standard for these numbers, so different manufacturers used different formats.

Modern day VINs consist of 17 characters which do not include the letters I, O, or Q (to avoid confusion with numerals 1 and 0).

Heus33

Bronco Guru
When Geico insured mine, it came across as a 1980 and then they had to manually go in and change the year to 76.

This problem mustve come up before with your insurer - you can't be the first!

ransil

Bronco Guru
Tell them to pick 5 of the 11 digits, but to list it as a 71 bronco

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Like the search function here, there is a 'wildcard' character that they should be able to put in the computer to make up for the shortened VIN.

I went through all that with Texas when I had to buy plates one year. The lady at the counter was telling me about how she has to put those characters in to make it the right length for the computer to accept it.

I should have asked what that character was...

bptommy

Loc.
Arlington, TX
I just registered mine in texas (dfw) in november and had no issues. I have state farm ins, though so it may just be your insurence companys software. I registered at southlake town center court house and had no issues. Not sure if your in dfw or not.

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
just got mine insured via 21st.com (old AIG) it would not allow me to add it online but i called and they added it with out any questions.

67ster

Bronco Guru
No problemo with AAA if I don't put more than 5000 miles a year. My problem was with the DMV , tried to tell them it was a truck but they insisted it was an SUV, sheesh!

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I have American Collectors insurance on mine. They insured it for my stated value with no questions asked - they accepted the VIN as a 70 Bronco and have a couple of pictures of it on file.

goneballistic

Loc.
Washington, MO
Thats crazy that it comes up as an 80. I think my title only has a few numbers and letters on it. It came up as an 76 with no prob. Hope you get it figured out.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I have State Farm ins on mine and have had no problem either ..I have trouble with my stupid computer at work to try and put on an inspection sticker.

66ALRIDE

Contributor
Just BIP It!
Loc.
Dothan, AL
I just added my 66 with Cotton State. I called them on the phone and gave them the VIN, and they faxed me an insurance card.

OP
OP
B

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
Thanks to everyone for the replies and the suggestions. Just to let you all know, I got it resolved by taking a printout from the vin decoder website. The agent the believed me that I actually had a '71 and was able to print out a card manually somehow that had the right vin and right year. I was then able to transfer the title and register my bronco and get a plate for her. PA state inspection tomorrow, and after that it's Bronco driving bliss for me!!!