• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

It has begun! Sheyla's dream build 1973 Half Cab

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
So my girl friend buys a black half cab, drives it around, races in the mud drags etc,etc. We get married and have 4 kids. (this is the condensed version) The Bronco sits most of the time and finally gets torn apart for no apparent reason, I'm sure at the time there was a plan, must not have been a very good one.:cool:

Approximate time line:
1991 Sheyla buys a 73 Half cab
1993 Races in mud drags and wins a trophy!
1993-2005 minimal driving time but used for WH pics.

The opening pic is the state it was in Mar. 2003

Next shot Dec. 22 2005. By Dec. 23rd it was in pieces. Many pieces.

This Bronco has pretty much disappeared with the exception of the frame, body tub, top, and doors. We can rebuild it! We can make it better, stronger, faster and keep it under 6 million$;D

This build is scheduled to be done by the 2017 WH Round Up. That's a little less than a year from now. Check it out as we begin the journey.

Pic #3 Welded on front shock towers. Now we're getting somewhere!;D

Jim

Attachments

• Dec2005.jpg
    Dec2005.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 681
  • PC221165.jpg
    PC221165.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 666
  • IMG_7351.jpg
    IMG_7351.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 676

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Great project. Let me know if you need anything. I'd love to help.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Subscribed! Looking forward to seeing it come together Jim!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Jim, should be great project! What is the build plan? I know "make it better, stronger, faster", but what will the end product be? Trail? Street modified? Eco-Friendly gas sipper? To be determined??

This will be fun to follow! ;D

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Jus think ...Jim n crew including Paul Donk and Phil offering to help. My Gawdness:cool:

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad to hear this. I have some circa 98 pics somewhere I'll post up if I can find them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Whew! When I saw that first sentence, I thought, "Boy, is he gonna be in big trouble when his wife finds out!":eek:
Luckily I read the second sentence, and knew the world would be right again.

Now this is going to be fun!

Paul

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Looking forward to following this. Hey Jim, what is that on the rocker in the first shot? A stirrup or step of some sort?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Awesome, Jim...just awesome. And tell her I said "hi" too....

-Bill

OP
OP
WILDHORSES

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Jim, should be great project! What is the build plan? I know "make it better, stronger, faster", but what will the end product be? Trail? Street modified? Eco-Friendly gas sipper? To be determined?

OK as far as "the plan" we have to go into the back story for a second. I had made an attempt to make Sheyla's Bronco one of our shop rigs we call "Gramps". Pic #1 At a certain point in this build (if you can call it that) I wanted to show her the progress. We put a cover on it and I did this reveal thing. I could tell in that moment this was not her Bronco.:-[ Honestly I should know this because every day we are asking people what are you going to do with the Bronco in order to figure out what they need.

When I told her a few minuets later we were going to build her original Half Cab she understandably had reservations. (its only been off the road for years and years) I assured her we could build it in a year with some focused effort. The next thing I did was make a list of 30 or so questions. I needed to make sure we were building her Bronco. These rigs are very personal.

Here's a rendition of Sheyla's plan, built in the Bronco Builder app. Pic #2
Pretty much a street hot rod Bronco type of build.

I was told it had to go fast.
It must have a great sound system.
Flares on all 4 corners.
5 speed manual trans.
Stock height suspension
Air conditioning
US Mag Indys
At this point it's going sky blue with white top and flares.

Well there's the start. Now the pressure is on.

Progress pic #3 inboard rear shocks hoops. Pic #4 time for the blaster.

More to come.

Jim

Attachments

• 5630.jpg
    5630.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_7490.jpg
    IMG_7490.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_3876.jpg
    IMG_3876.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_3875.jpg
    IMG_3875.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 379
OP
OP
WILDHORSES

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Looking forward to following this. Hey Jim, what is that on the rocker in the first shot? A stirrup or step of some sort?

I had to do the double take, it's an illusion. Actually it's the rim of the driver side rear. I did see some pretty sweet stirrup steps at SEMA one year. My wife is about 5 feet tall so might not be a bad idea.;D

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
That's funny it's the rim in the background! My wife is 5' also. Rigged a temp stirrup for now, but hunting a better solution!

Looks like you have already made progress!