• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Floor Pan and Other Half Done Metal Work

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Since you are replacing the kick panels, now is the time to drop your floor pan in. It will be easier to get in there with the kick panels out. Your new kick panels will attach to your inner rockers on your new floor pan. Id also put your new body bushings in so everything is at the correct height. Looking good keep at it!

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

I have a sheet metal replacement addiction! Putting in the platform tomorrow, hopping to start actually making some progress. My Bronco has shrunk so much my wife is catching on this isn't your basic fix a few panels, paint and drive project.

Attachments

• IMG_9158.jpg
    IMG_9158.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_9159.jpg
    IMG_9159.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_9155.jpg
    IMG_9155.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 218
OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Made some positive progress today! Complete platform is in, fit is really good.

Attachments

• IMG_9171.jpg
    IMG_9171.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_9170.jpg
    IMG_9170.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_9169.jpg
    IMG_9169.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_9165.jpg
    IMG_9165.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 279

USMC-72BRONCO

Loc.
Oceanside
Jaime i'm by no means a bronco expert just getting ready to get started on mine. I live in Oceanside and if you ever need an extra set of hands let me know your right down the way. Also following your thread i need to replace the driver and passenger panels soon. Great job its coming along

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
That bronco is in tough shape. if the welder keeps blowing through the metal you most likely will need to replace the metal as its too thin, but i guess you know this by now.

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

USMC, thanks! I have learned allot of lessons working on this truck so when it comes time to helping you please ask. As for blowing through sheet metal TK, that was a really hard lesson learned! I spent a month removing bondo and rust off my bed to find 100 small rust holes you could actually see light through, that is when I decided to start replacing all the sheet metal. Also my welding technique is improving, at the beginning I made some extra work for myself. Most of the damage is from PO hitting other cars.. The entire front was pushed in enough that there was an obvious lean to the truck. I am replacing the inner fenders, radiator support along with the stuff in my pictures.

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Made some progress this weekend. Hindsight I wish I would have done a better job supporting my dash, the two supports I welded on where not square so I had to remove them to get the dash back to the right height two man job for sure to light the dash and square the corners. Anyway having new metal makes the job much easier.

Attachments

• IMG_9195.jpg
    IMG_9195.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_9199.jpg
    IMG_9199.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_9196.jpg
    IMG_9196.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_9201.jpg
    IMG_9201.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 325
OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Making progress, the new bed sides are not as deep as the old ones the welding surface may be at best 1/4 inch where the original was more like 1/2 so it doesn't cover the old weld holes... Not sure how I am going to handle this one?

Attachments

• Bed.jpg
    Bed.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 313

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Yeah them new rear floorpans are definitely stamped a little short on the weld flange, I don't know why they never fixed that. I just clamped the floor to wheel tub together and but welded them, ground them a little and they came out pretty good. Would rather have plug welded but sometimes you have to work with what you got. Keep chipping away. Ken

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Making progress, the new bed sides are not as deep as the old ones the welding surface may be at best 1/4 inch where the original was more like 1/2 so it doesn't cover the old weld holes... Not sure how I am going to handle this one?

Get a copper welding spoon from harbor freight and weld all those holes in. Grind them down smooth with a 120 grit flap disc.

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Made the decision to replace all the metal windshild frame back! The drivers side was hit hard and everything is pushed to the center of the truck, I spent months going backwards. This is very much uncharted territory for me. My wife is already asking when she can park her car in the garage.. um honey soon, very soon.

Attachments

• Platform 2.jpg
    Platform 2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 253
  • Frame 1.jpg
    Frame 1.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 260

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Made the decision to replace all the metal windshild frame back! The drivers side was hit hard and everything is pushed to the center of the truck, I spent months going backwards. This is very much uncharted territory for me. My wife is already asking when she can park her car in the garage.. um honey soon, very soon.

Yup, youre where I was....just make sure you sheet metal screw everything together before you weld it! its not impossible just time consuming! good luck! Even after getting to this point I still had to push and pull things with a body jack to get it all square!

IMG_1525.jpg

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Rydog, I am putting together the upper quarter panels, what was first?
Did you screw in the upper to the tail light pilar, then wheel wells, triangle block behind the latch place, then the latch plate? can't figure out where to start. I have the light pilars square and screwed in.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You'll want to find center on your rear bed rail support, seat floor pan, and your new pick up bed sheet metal. Once you have center on the pieces you can put your bed pan down in place. Next clamp your striker post in place so that you can position your upper/inner quarters in place. Don't forget there's a filler piece that goes in between the quarter and top of the striker. I had to do a little trimming on those to get them to fit right. I also had to grind the top of my striker post a tad to get my quarter to sit right on them as well. From floor bed to the top of the quarter panel your looking at 19.3" (mine was 19.5") Once you have your inner/upper quarter in place go ahead and get your wheel tubs in, once those are in, place your filler panels in the corner. Lastly id put the striker post braces in place because those really brace things up! Heres where I started building my bed in my thread. Once you have it together don't weld it, put your top on before trying to hang your doors and it will tell you where you need to make any adjustments. Good luck

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249119&page=6

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Got more done. Very slow process with all this new metal!!

Attachments

• DSC_3244.jpg
    DSC_3244.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC_3245.jpg
    DSC_3245.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC_3242.jpg
    DSC_3242.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 261

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I think I would build that body up using the intended frame for the build fixture. You don't want any surprises after you've done all that work. Ken

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

agree, tacking and screwing it together. Will do final fitment once the frame is delivered.
thanks for the advice!

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Looks good! I’d hang my lower quarters last after you get your doors on then you can decide where they need to be tacked on the striker post so that they match the curve of your door

OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

One more solid day in the bag, lots of learning on the fly with a few redos. Slowly coming together everything is straight so far. We have spend most of the last two days trimming and cutting none of the metal out of the box is plug n play. Hoping to have the bed done this week and then moving to the doors. We left the door latch pilar free flowing so I am hopning that gives us some flexability to adjust as we go. I am epoxy painting all the hidden areas as we go, like the rocker panels.

Attachments

• DSC_3279.jpg
    DSC_3279.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC_3278.jpg
    DSC_3278.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC_3277.jpg
    DSC_3277.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_3276.jpg
    DSC_3276.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 185
OP
OP
Jamie Chriss

Jamie Chriss

Had my first almost heart breat yesterday! I got some great advice a few pages back about not welding too much and using tons of screws. I was real confident everything was ready to go, welded the wells in along with the filler pieces, somewhere along the way quarter panel dropped a good inch, so when I went to put on the door latch pilar, it was an inch high. I had to dring, chop and saw all the welds I did to get the quater panel to raise... Lesson from another brother I didn't listen to. Anyway I am enjoying the ride!!

Attachments

• Quarter 2 .jpg
    Quarter 2 .jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 185
  • bed 4.jpg
    bed 4.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Door 1.jpg
    Door 1.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 217
  • Door2.jpg
    Door2.jpg