• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My NORRA Pioneer build

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very Cool!!! Just wondering about that rear pinion guard could it cause issues "scooping" up dirt and rocks in deep sand/silt?? A friend up here in the Black Hills has been running a vintage Jeep in a few Score races and had some issues with rocks getting picked up in the chassis, Maybe Todd Z or Andrew can chime in.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Any numbers on that new Mill?
The rock guard? I was wondering about that too.

pbwcr

I ran a pinion guard for years on my 96 Bronco. The guard had openings to let out water or light sand. In all the years I never found anything trapped inside the guard That guard was bolted to the third member of a Tubeworks axle. That truck is long gone and I forget who I bought it from. I wonder if it was Raceworks? I don't know if they still sell that thing. ChrisW has a no name version of the same thing on the race Bronco and he has never had anything inside to clean out.
PaulW

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
I expect the pinion guard to be fine, there are plenty of holes in it to let whatever out.

b7533e3269bc82d1373956cd834c2e97.jpg

R1139-Extra2.jpg

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I ran a pinion guard for years on my 96 Bronco. The guard had openings to let out water or light sand. In all the years I never found anything trapped inside the guard That guard was bolted to the third member of a Tubeworks axle. That truck is long gone and I forget who I bought it from. I wonder if it was Raceworks? I don't know if they still sell that thing. ChrisW has a no name version of the same thing on the race Bronco and he has never had anything inside to clean out.
PaulW

Two schools of thought on the guards. One is to protect the pinion - like the one posted here. And the other is to function as a skidplate under the 3rd member, like the Stewarts Raceworks or Autofab pieces.

Here's the Autofab version:

https://autofab.com/i-20946266-9-ford-skid-plate.html

Paul - I'm guessing ChrisW has one of these two versions.

We have some Stroppe-esque reinforcements on the underside of our rear housing. It's remarkable that ours has survived intact considering how many rocks we go through in Baja.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
Two schools of thought on the guards. One is to protect the pinion - like the one posted here. And the other is to function as a skidplate under the 3rd member, like the Stewarts Raceworks or Autofab pieces.

Here's the Autofab version:

https://autofab.com/i-20946266-9-ford-skid-plate.html

Paul - I'm guessing ChrisW has one of these two versions.

We have some Stroppe-esque reinforcements on the underside of our rear housing. It's remarkable that ours has survived intact considering how many rocks we go through in Baja.

Todd Z.

That reminded me, the 9" I am using has been shaved and 1/2" plate has been added to the bottom side and back of the lower housing along with the DOM brace on the back. If it didn't have that plate i would have went with a skid plate.

A Colorado Classic Bronco member upgraded his rear suspension and was gracious enough to let me purchase this one from him for a great price.

As a side note... I have been weighing some stuff as i remember along the way - the original bare housing with all of the previous owners four link stuff welded on was 83lbs, i cut off what i didn't need and the bare housing I am using weighs right at 50lbs. I forgot to weigh the finished axle but it has to come out one more time to set the pinion angle and weld the perches and when it does i will weigh the whole thing. My guess is it will be close to 180lbs.

I forgot to post the video of the last dyno run yesterday..

[youtube]nyvdMtSMl5g[/youtube]

Last edited:

toddsrods

Front end is rebuilt and re-geared and then slid it under the frame. Welded the front and rear lower shock mounts, started running fuel, brake and transmission cooling lines.

74841671afa345fcd79f6ce0b69822d4.jpg

I think the springs are gonna hit the cross brace of the shackle. Flip the shackle around, should be fine.

pbwcr

Todd, I misspoke both Broncos had the Stewert Raceworks skid and the Pinion guard like the one pictured, but don't remember the supplier of the pinion guard. No criticism of either after very long usage in Baja.
PaulW

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
While I have the body off the frame iam running fuel and transmission hard line on top of the frame rails to keep them out of harms way and out of the exhaust heat. I only had enough hard stainless steel line to run one length for the main fuel supply from the rear cross member. I had 25' of aluminum hard line on hand and used that for a return line for fuel (future EFI and redundancy) and ran two lines to the rear of the frame for the transmission cooler. The aluminum line is of course much more fragile than the steel line. I have been rethinking it's use and just wanted to see what everyones opinion was on using aluminum vs steel/stainless steel. My budget is tight and was trying to use what i had on hand but now thinking twice about it since i have access.

9d5f8bf5aa5de45ccc32f9c756c4f883.jpg

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I plan on running NiCopp lines on my rig when I redo them, for both fuel and brake lines. I like how ductile it is and less prone to fatigue when compared to stainless, but it still has comparable corrosion resistance and is easier to work with. That said, as much as I don't think you'd ever have an issue with aluminum lines where you've routed them, short of somebody spearing them with a screw driver or something trying to un-wedge a cactus from the undercarriage, I would probably go steel, SS or NiCopp on the fuel return lines for peace of mind.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We have AL lines run on the top of the frame like yours. I feel pretty comfortable they are out of harms way there. Braided lines where they need flexibility on each end. I think if they lines are breached where they are we have bigger problems than a fuel leak. Mark

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
We have AL lines run on the top of the frame like yours. I feel pretty comfortable they are out of harms way there. Braided lines where they need flexibility on each end. I think if they lines are breached where they are we have bigger problems than a fuel leak. Mark

Excellent. I will run em then, thanks for the feedback

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Bronco Guru
More stuff on the frame, engine home, viper built transmission and transfer case in temporarily.

91e00375e4293e2a3a8bde05a5d751a3.jpg

ea3afd1618d30d3d40209ae086bf71d7.jpg

0cf14aa5174a6dcd7db1aef991192939.jpg

1e772e43ea2dacc79f22d0ebd779756c.jpg