• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Would you buy a Bronco with only a title?

SFironman

Hi!

I'm new to the group and hope to be a Bronco owner very soon. I want to buy a Bronco from a dealer and the only documentation they have is the title. I searched the VIN on several sites and cannot find any information. Is this a red flag? Any insight you can provide is really helpful. Thanks!

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome to the site! Need more information I think.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Our VIN numbers do not populate on the web because they are an old format. All you can do is compare the VIN to the door jamb, glove box, and frame. After that, it is really up to you or your expert of choice to determine if it is worthy of your $$$.

You can post pics and info here and folks can try to point you in the right direction.

crawler73

Have you gone and looked at the bronco? Seen the vin on the glove box and door post? Or did you get the vin of the dealers website. If it's from the website it's possible they screwed it up while entering it.

Side note..... your are almost guaranteed to pay more going to a dealer so just make sure what your getting is worth what your paying.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
verify what you need with your state motor vehicle department. Frame number is usually stamped on top of the frame by the starter just before the body covers it. If the frame number and your title doesnt match you have problems.

Stu7054

Bronco title

Go to your local police department and ask them to run the VIN to determine if it has been reported stolen. Your local BMV should be able to tell you if there are any liens associated with it.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your local BMV should be able to tell you if there are any liens associated with it.

In my state (MD) they can't tell much of anything from the old VINs because they don't fit in their computer system and won't come up when searched. Up to..1980?..not sure when the national standard VIN kicked in.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
A title is all that comes with any vehicle. All you can do is make sure it matches all of the VIN locations on the Bronco as mentioned. If you want to cover yourself for any future issues you could have them fill out a Bill of Sale as well, but if they have a clear title in their name there should be no issues.

KBUCK1

A title is all that comes with any vehicle. All you can do is make sure it matches all of the VIN locations on the Bronco as mentioned. If you want to cover yourself for any future issues you could have them fill out a Bill of Sale as well, but if they have a clear title in their name there should be no issues.

Thats what i thought

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Ok, Bronco from a dealer? Clear title and they by law must do a bill of sale. How else to they collect sales tax?
I know in my business I give a receipt (bill of sale) to every customer that I do work for.
So I would say you are good unless the VIN numbers on the title, glove box, and frame don't match. If they do and you good with the price buy it.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Better question is probably why are you buying from a dealer in the first place? The last majority of the dealer sales end up having you paying too much or end up with a crappy Bronco...do your homework.Theae aren't new cars and dealers don't add value. That said a Bronco and title are mainly what you get....they are old cars, what were you expecting?

About half the time, private guys often have old receipts of the work done.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Not to start a debate, but each state is different. Just bc the title is in someone's name doesn't mean the frame hasn't been switched out for a better one as a result of a wreck. Put it this way, if the title visually matches the frames stamped VIN then you will not ha e any problems buying or selling in any state. If you are caught with a title and an incorrect VIN on the frame (may include the glovebox tag as well) expect some legal ramifications. Do your research and get dirty, Broncos can be swapped apart like Legos!