• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lift and Tires

sandman23

What is the best lift height and tire size for a classic looking bronco with a little muscle to it? 33" or 35" for tires and 3.5" lift?

Thanks

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's going to be fairly subjective, but are we talking about a cut or uncut rig? Or cut in the rear but not the front? I have different preferences depending on the body and use for the rig, as I think they look pretty good in a bunch of different configurations.

OP
OP
sandman23

sandman23

front and back are cut, you can check out photos in my garage.

dto_garage.php

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like 35's with a 3.5" lift myself, then cut the fenders to fit. A 2.5" SL and 1" BL will get you to the same place, but you'll get the added benefit of the BL and less angularity at the front driveshaft.

My rig was 33's with 3.5" SL...looked pretty good to my eye, although my fenders were cut a little high by the PO for the tire/lift combo IMO. I added a 2" BL knowing it was going to evolve to fit 37's, so now it's midway through that upgrade. I slapped some 35's on it with the 3.5" SL and 2" BL in the interim...also not a bad combo, and certainly better than the 33's, but more lift than is necessary for just 35's IMO. I'm going to full-width axles at the same time as the 37's, so I'm going wider to help offset some of the taller part, although she didn't drive too bad on the 33's or 35's with the 3.5" SL + 2" BL combo.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I have cut fenders and 33/12.5/15s. I just did a 1.5" lift and I'm really happy with it. Rides great and has just enough lift so its still easy to get in and out of as a daily driver. Also, I think the tire size fits the look.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
33s, cut, no lift. Tires fill the wheel wells. Wheels just fine. All the geometry is correct.

If you must, a slight lift. Under 2"

That will give a musclular look that works great on the street and can still hit the trail. Has a little bit of an understated look but still rolling a lot of rubber.

35s suddenly have a lot of clearance issues. What clears in the driveway, and maybe the street tends to need a lot of work (and too much lift and crippled suspension travel) to work if you ever use 4WD. For the work to make 35s work right you might as well just go to 37s.

helo-mech

^^^^^^^ same here; stock height Wildhorses suspension kit, the newer tech makes a huge driving difference especially since the geometry is not changed, with 33/12.50 15s.

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 120

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Again every has there own opinion. It also depends on how you are going to use the truck. Is it a pavement pounder that will never see dirt or a full blown trail rig that wont see pavement? If it is already cut I personally like a 2.5"lift with 33" tires. It has plenty of room for the tires if you happen to take it off road, yet it doesn't make the truck too tall and you can get a really nice ride out of a 2" lift.

In the pic with the three broncos the green bronco and the teal bronco have 3.5" lift with 1" body lift and 33s. The orange has a 2.5" lift no body lift and 33s.
The teal truck is how it looks now, 3.5" lift 1" body and 35s. It looks cool but has lost some road manners in the curves because of the big tires.

Attachments

• bronconotops.JPG
    bronconotops.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 91
  • 67driverside.jpg
    67driverside.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 84