• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welding in hard too nuts?

rjcruz27

Has anyone ever welded in the nuts to their hardtops to make removing the nuts easier?

jonpblewis@yaho

Loc.
San Diego, CA
I attached a piece of uni-strut under the bed rails. then you can use uni-strut blocks with the spring on them to keep them in place. This is a much stronger way to attach the top and its easy just one wrench.

pbwcr

The original Ford design was the flat plate with weld-nuts. Design was good because that hard to reach forward bolt would then be easy. The other advantage of the flat plate is it distributes the load over a larger area with prevents the thin bedside metal from deforming. Nutserts (riv-nuts) deform the bedside the worst. The metal is really thin both on the bedside and the top. Of course big washers both on top and bottom will distribute the load sufficiently. My rig has a combination of the weld-nut on metal strap and the big washers. Big washers are convenient in some places, but the handiest is the metal plate with weld-nuts.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Soooo....do you have pics of said "per original ford design" plates with welded nuts. I would like to see them since I have never seen one and I dont know anyone who has

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Soooo....do you have pics of said "per original ford design" plates with welded nuts. I would like to see them since I have never seen one and I dont know anyone who has

yeah some pics be nice

Mar1ne

Loc.
Sierra Foothills, CA
Was hiding behind the striker post when I changed them in my 1966. I was curious about it and did a little research.

Attachments

• IMG_2730.jpg
    IMG_2730.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 11.12.10 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 11.12.10 AM.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 11.13.18 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 11.13.18 AM.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 87

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Was hiding behind the striker post when I changed them in my 1966. I was curious about it and did a little research.

I use these on my 66' u15 and 71' u15 along the bed rails, and the front of the hard top at the windshield on both 66'. Pretty handy.

pbwcr

=== =
Mine are installed so no pics. I copied the Ford design shown by Mar1ne, but extended one end and turned it down to use as a handle. Ford discontinued the things after the early years.