• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Original paint color?

mebco09

Here is some background on my project-

I bought it from a guy who bought it from the guy who did the work, so I have no history on why they did what they did to it.

Its a 1967, Bodywork is mostly done, base-coat painted in 2013, clear coat is bad, it has been buffed through and wet sanded to death- no shine left. Body is off of frame. Paint code is B. I will probably have to repaint the body, but I might be able to save the jams and underhood areas.

They painted the truck Caribbean Turquoise (1966 color B) rather than Frost Turquoise (1967 color B). (I have the can of base-coat that they used, so I know that it was mixed as CT)

Take a look at the photo of the floor. It shows what I believe to be the original color on the left, and the color that they repainted on the right. The original color does not look like Frost Turquoise to me.

I am posting this because I would like to bring this truck back to original (mostly), and the question is- could this truck be correct as a 1967 with 1966 color? Like a carry-over? Last digits of Vin # is 140XX if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20181109_145633609.jpg
    IMG_20181109_145633609.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 96

House

Minutia Militia
Yeah that definitely looks green, not blue. Interesting.
VIN similar to U15NLA? So a 1966 built 1967, correct?

OP
OP
M

mebco09

Yeah that definitely looks green, not blue. Interesting.
VIN similar to U15NLA? So a 1966 built 1967, correct?

Thats what I'm thinking. Is there a vin decoder on here somewhere?

Was there a sequential unit number that Ford used each year? i.e. started with 14,xxx in 67, 25,xxx in 68 etc.

OP
OP
M

mebco09

The VIN is U15FLB140XX.

Doesn't match up with 66 or 67. I imagine that there is typo in the decoder because the 6th digit goes from A (66) to C (68), so I am missing B (67?).?:?

So is it a September 66 build, and did they just use their 66 paint on this guy? Code on data plate is definitely B.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This picture we use a lot on our site, of a local guy's Caribbean Turquoise ('67 too I think?) is what I remember as correct CT. Caribbean Turquoise EB But with so many possible variations depending on who's mixing, who's spraying, and which paint companies statistics they use, "your results may vary" big time!

But yes, there were many inconsistencies in Ford's color pallet. Not only might the same color have been given a different name in different years, but yes to your other comment about ending up with a different year's particular shade because it was coming close to the changeover time and Broncos didn't get much detailed love from Ford at the time.

Over the years, about the only color that kept the same name, same color code, and remained the same color, was Wimbledon White.
I think even the Baja Broncos got the same red with three different names.

Your original color is very hard to tell if it was Carribean Turquoise to me. Like okie said, it looks more faded Lunar than it does CT. But that could be lighting and the camera and the computer monitor as much as any color change.

Good luck. But if it's indeed a CT color for your year, lucky you! It's a great color for a Bronco!

Paul

OP
OP
M

mebco09

Thanks for hooking me up with that thread. Seems to me like Ford did Frost Turquoise for one year only, Code B, then changed it back to Caribbean Turq. So my theory could work the other way, that this is a late 67 Bronco, that got 68 colors.

I have a lot of fun with these old trucks, trying to figure out what it was, and trying to bring it back. Thanks for the help.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
67' vins started with A00001 and ended with B82000. I dont have a complete 67' vin list by month, PM Viperwolf1, he'll know for sure.

Last edited: