• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FiTech Plumbing

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
My original plan was to run from stock tank to mechanical fuel pump to FCC2 then to TBI, then a return line to tank. However, my engine bay is very stock looking and putting the FCC2 in there would not look right.

So if I keep the same setup, I could mount the FCC2 where the aux fuel tank would be (see pic). This would require me to run from the tank past the FCC2 to the mech fuel pump then back to FCC2 then back to TBI, which seem like a lot of extra fuel line.

My new plan is to go from tank to inline pump, to FCC2 then to TBI. Cutting out the mech pump completely, and a lot less fuel line. I will still need to run a return line to tank.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• InkedInkedIMG_2231_LI.jpg
    InkedInkedIMG_2231_LI.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 56

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes.

The FCC2 is an accumulator with a high pressure pump inside. The improvement it has over the original is the return to the fuel tank. This is a must to sent the hot fuel to a place to cool off (the tank).

I looked at the FCC2 at SEMA briefly. Not overly complex, actually very simple. As for the horizontal mounting location, I have never seen that done before. I'm trying to think of how the inside of the FCC2 is constructed. I'm pretty sure it is designed to be mounted vertically. Is there anything in the instructions about horizontal mounting? If not I would not do it that way. The fittings on the top are there to work the air bubbles out of the FCC2. If you do a horizontal mount it won't vent air from the system correctly. The pump will be pulling from the side instead of the bottom. If there are instructions on horizontal mounting I am sure they are very specific and need to be followed exactly correctly.

OP
OP
Smedley

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
The instructions state it can be mounted vertically or horizontally. If horizontally, return line must be highest port.

OP
OP
Smedley

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
So what is the purpose of the FCC2 if I can just run an inline pump and a simple return line?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
So what is the purpose of the FCC2 if I can just run an inline pump and a simple return line?

The FCC allows you to supply it with a low pressure pump, and the return line is plumbed to the FCC. Using this set up allows easy use of using both fuel tanks, like many Broncos have. The FCC has had numerous issues being used in an Off Road application. If you’re not intending to use an auxiliary tank, I think it would be best (and much cheaper) to use a frame mounted HP pump, when just running the rear tank. I don’t run the FiTech system, but I do run a simple HP frame mounted pump, and just a single rear tank.

Mark

Broncobowsher

Total hack

Sucks money out of your wallet.

The original intent of the FCC was to eliminate the return line to the tank. This was for the hot rod shop doing EFI conversions for customers. Instead of a high labor, low parts return line they could sell a high dollar part, make more profit on the retail mark up and do the install with less labor. More profit. Sell it to the DIY as an all underhood EFI fuel system. But there were problems with the initial design. Namely heat. There was a lot of heat going into the system and the fuel was overheating. So the FCC2 came out with a return line to keep the fuel cool. At this point it is just the standard accumulator that has been used for years, but all nice and fancy with the high pressure pump inside. You get the benefits of an in tank pumps without putting it in the tank. And still need an external pump of some sorts to feed internal pump in the FCC.

OP
OP
Smedley

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
Since I already have the FCC2, is it worth using or should i scrap it (sell it) and go with a simpler option? At this point in the build, I can go either way, although also trying to control the spending.

Thanks,
Will

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Back 10 years ago or so, when I still had a carb. Most of my buddies ran the Mustang based Ford EFI. They all had single tanks and most ran the accumulator, with a low pressure pump feeding it, and a HP pump drawing from it. It proved to be a recipe for vapor lock. The fuel never gets a chance to cool with the rest of the reserve fuel in the tank. Since then everyone in our group of Broncos, has their accumulators on the shelf in the garage. Just too many problems. A simple trail fix was to move the hp pump from under the hood, to back by the tank. Run hose all the way to the fuel rail, bypassing the low pressure pump and accumulator. This proved to work just fine, and most systems here are set up just that way. It’s a simple, reliable system.

Mark

70HalfCab

Loc.
Mandeville, LA
I initially had my Fitech setup with the original command center. Burned up 4 pumps in them almost immediately. Totally frustrated. Fitech swapped it out for the new one like you have and it’s been flawless. Mine is mounted on the front fender well in a nearly vertical position. If mounted horizontally you have to make sure the ports are properly positioned.

OP
OP
Smedley

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
I initially had my Fitech setup with the original command center. Burned up 4 pumps in them almost immediately. Totally frustrated. Fitech swapped it out for the new one like you have and it’s been flawless. Mine is mounted on the front fender well in a nearly vertical position. If mounted horizontally you have to make sure the ports are properly positioned.

How do you have it plumbed? Mechanical or inline fuel pump?

Thanks,
Will