• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Car hauler wiring question

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Building car hauler with winch in metal tool box at tongue with truck quick connector to truck battery. Question: any problem connecting 2 hot ring connectors together with bolt, then heat shrink, etc ? If can u bolt, suggest copper or standard OK ? Thanks.

mustanggarage

Contributor
if it were me, I would put a second battery in a waterproof case on the trailer. Then use a solar powered battery tender to keep that battery topped off. this would prevent you from having to run the wires from the battery to the winch.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-1163-Maintainer-Controller/dp/B004Q83TGO
Alternatively you could run a heavy gauge wire from your alternator with a disconnect at the trailer to the on trailer battery. smaller gauge wire without as much draw. others may be able to provide more information on how to do that, or you could alternatively

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You could do that, but a battery on the trailer would provide for shorter leads and less likelihood for issues. That said, I've seen guys literally run jumper cables from their engine compartment back to the winch, so there's almost always a more questionable way of doing things if you look hard enough.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I think the bolted outs are hokey but I install a lot of high amperage welding equipment that is made to assemble that way. I wrap in butle tape and then electrical tape, have some working for years. As for the jumper cable thing, it works fine, have mine set up that way and been working perfectly for 15 years

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As for the jumper cable thing, it works fine, have mine set up that way and been working perfectly for 15 years

I wasn't knocking it, well maybe a little, but I've done it as well, and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't tripped over the jumper cables a time or two and ripped them off the terminals. I actually have a set of 30 ft jumper cables for similar shenanigans.

OP
OP
bamabaja

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
I had purchased these earlier when available. Quality looks OK. Will post when get installed. Thanks again for suggestions.

Attachments

• 988F715E-26A5-4B7D-827D-50892ED5A10A.jpg
    988F715E-26A5-4B7D-827D-50892ED5A10A.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 35

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
any problem connecting 2 hot ring connectors together with bolt, then heat shrink, etc ?
The correct method of connecting rings is called a "binding post", and they're easy to find in JYs. This is an older (early 80s truck) Ford single post:

(phone app link)

Late-80s and most 90s GM trucks have a 5-terminal binding post at the top RHS of the firewall, and single posts/pairs are easy to find on eBay/Amazon.