• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can I replace just one pushrod

broncoP

Contributor
One pushrod is slightly bent on a motor I'm working on. Can I replace just one as long as its same length. Can't see any part numbers on them

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
As long as nothing else is damaged or bent it should be fine. I'd be concerned about the valves, lifter, rocker, etc.

LilMixedUp

Loc.
Bonaire
concur with Hozr, yes but... I'd have to check and double check everything else. Milage? oil usage? plans?

KeithKinPhx

Steel push rods almost never “bend” themselves. Unfortunately it is usually a valve issue. You may get lucky and find a bad lifter.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The hardened pushrods are the performance pieces that you need when you have guideplates. Most small block Ford pushrods are not hardened as they don't need to be.

Yes, you can replace a single pushrod. There are different sizes. Some are for different deck height and head combos. Others for adjusting the lifter preload. Most of the time just a stock pushrod for the year engine you have will work just fine. And there is a lot of overlap between sizes as well. So it isn't just one size that works, usually there are several slightly different versions that will work.

The pushrod is often the fuse in the valvetrain. It failed, usually because something else is having a problem. But sometimes it was the problem.

OP
OP
broncoP

broncoP

Contributor
Thanks for replies. Yes everything on motor is gonna be gone through. Motor has low miles, Stroker, so worth fixing

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
The pushrod is often the fuse in the valvetrain. It failed, usually because something else is having a problem. But sometimes it was the problem.

THIS is a brilliant analogy!

I agree maybe you got lucky and nothing else is wrong or it was made wrong or damaged before going into the engine. But a bent pushrod is usually a sign of something binding. Take off the rocker arm and look carefully at everything - ball, bottom of rocker, top of valve, radius on the rocker arm stud, pushrod holes.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Make sure you check coil clearence at full lift once you replace the push rod.