• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1975 Project Sweet Pea -- KS

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Great job! Have you driven it yet??? Hopefully you have been putting some miles on it. :eek: In any case, how does it drive/handle and how do you like the Battlement Fab stuff you used on the front suspension. Also, who makes the trac bar riser that you are using? I like the fact that it is a double shear design!

Nice to see another one back on the road. ;D

OP
OP
F

FlogginHarvey

Loc.
Wichita
Thanks man!!! Now I understand your screen name: I feel like I have been making "Broncoitis" to my bank account!!!;-D LOL

I have had it out on some gravel and blacktop roads for a couple of real quick shakedown runs with Nate. But, nothing offroad yet. I know it's not much of a real comparison but it is night and day so far. Quite a difference with the WH springs and King shocks just plunking around for sure! I am really surprised there is not more body roll on the streets but I have to think the reservoir adjusters on the shocks have to help with that? They are full stiff right now.

The soft locker in the rear seemed to be a pretty good choice as I haven't heard any chirping yet but we have been gentle trying to break-in the gear sets and all...

Nate has a "guest" or two he wants some pics with before we dirty it up and I think it will be fun to have some. I am running around for the next couple of weeks so no real time to enjoy it yet other than drinking a beer in her so far pining for my wife to give me a green light for an afternoon play-time.

The battlement fab radius setup seems to be right on but it is a much easier install with coil overs rather than coils/smooth body shocks. (Just ask Nate). Hence the custom tube shock hoops in lieu of the original Battlement Fab moints. We had a little help and input through here and GoFastBroncos.com for sure. Thanks CB.com!!!

OP
OP
F

FlogginHarvey

Loc.
Wichita
Well well well...made some more Broncoitis (sorry to steal the name again but it is just awesome!) to the account again. We pulled the pan on the tranny (less than 100 miles after its second rebuild) and there was a ton of junk in it. Not going back to the same shop a third time in less than 9 months.

Nate helped me find a C4/drag mustang guy and we had him go ALL the way through it. I mean ALL THE WAY through it. It now has the same specs his 1,000 hp mustang customers run with a lean towards the EB's. while that was out Nate noticed the seals were toast on the old D20 so the D20 has been rebuilt and JB Twin Stick'ed! WOW! What a summer...;)

Finally drove her home!!! Went down US54 a few miles as a test and WOW! Never driven her that straight and smooth ever! I am so pumped up!!! And the best part our 3 1/2 year old was waiting in the garage for me when I pulled in and she couldn't wait to sit in it and pretend to drive.;). Too much fun. Gotta go through it and give it a good once over but Nate at RockWorx 4x4 in Andover was great to deal with and work on the old girl!

81CD850D-B868-44FC-B683-34CECEB27DB4-1350-0000019A45704463_zps189479f6.jpg

OP
OP
F

FlogginHarvey

Loc.
Wichita
Great job! Have you driven it yet??? Hopefully you have been putting some miles on it. :eek: In any case, how does it drive/handle and how do you like the Battlement Fab stuff you used on the front suspension. Also, who makes the trac bar riser that you are using? I like the fact that it is a double shear design!

Nice to see another one back on the road. ;D

I need to double check the brand. I am thinking it is synergy for some reason but I'll have to check with Nate. I got it through his shop during the install. The double shear is EXACTLY why we went that route as well. Everything on the suspension is doubled and the pitman arm he custom welded the same. The only thing we have left in that area is the knuckles...down the road. My bronco account needs a serious break!

OP
OP
F

FlogginHarvey

Loc.
Wichita
Well, I suppose its not officially ready to go until my girls get to go for a ride!!! Their first ride after some serious updates! My wife was smiling!!!;)

E90B1576-DDCB-45D7-86BE-AA187B27A172-3544-000005071A532ABA_zps14749d19.jpg

847D335A-0476-4588-8480-02B8728FA407-3544-000005071112D42F_zps09906b2e.jpg

OP
OP
F

FlogginHarvey

Loc.
Wichita
Okay, we'll she's back in the garage! And the bottom just dropped out of the thermometer!:/. I broke the tires loose for the first time on the way home!:). HaHA! Good choice on the 331 combo for sure!

Now the rear break piston is stuck on the master cylinder (new last summer)...

So does anyone know what the part number is from BC with their whole kit? I ave a feeling I'm going to have to order another one. We blew air from the output side and it cleared it but it stuck again while we were blending them again... Ah early bronco projects.

OP
OP
F

FlogginHarvey

Loc.
Wichita
Did a quick jaunt over to Rockworx4x4 today to check a couple of leaks and play around with the brakes. Holy crap the 331 is quick to rev! Almost instantaneous throttle response. With poopy brakes I have not really gotten on it yet.

MAN OH MAN I can't wait for a warmish day or a whole PILE of snow this winter!!!;)

OP
OP
F

FlogginHarvey

Loc.
Wichita
Wow...updates updates... Brakes were hanging up because the mc rod was too long and the rubber firewall seal was wadded up: thanks CB.com!!! Found a couple of threads and helped the shop get right to it!

The first real ride was with my 4 year old out to Jarred's house for the last ICT CB meet. Took the the old dirt roads out. The smile on her (our) faces were priceless...OCBR???;)

Just finally had the cage reworked to protect the kiddos and help me relax when on the road/trail with them. I think it turned out awesome!!!

32af39016b605a597f46286f6c276e65.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FlogginHarvey

Loc.
Wichita
My goodness, a year and no updates...oh how time flies. Some updates.

It's summer and temps are hot here in KS. With rising air temps come the rising needle on the coolant temp guage and since the 331 rebuild mine has too. At the tail end of the OEM and original 302 I had replaced the radiator with a Tom's 3-core aluminum, Tom's steel fan shroud, aa 17" Derale fixed-blade mechanical fan, and a FlowKooler pump and had control of the hearing issue for all intents and purposes.

Rebuild a carb'ed 5.0 Roller and pump it up to 331 and the above radiator setup was fine for start and idle, keeping things at or around 170-180 in traffic to the first grocery getting spot. As soon as I let it heat soak for a few minutes and hopped back in it would come down to around 200 at idle and then once I was on the road at 40-50 MPH it would swing back to 180-190 but stay put. Not alarming but if I then sat at a light it would creep up to 200+. If I sat long enough in traffic or at a light it would stay come down to 190 or so when moving but then creep up at the next light to 210-220+...not heading in the right direction. The most frustrating part is I was getting some form of vapor lock and boiling fuel - we all know the typical crap with our beloved Early Broncos. I want to trail and crawl this thing with my girls and a broke down rig does not a fun weekend make with the wife. So no trail riding yet...

We just swapped out the shroud to a Ron Davis aliminum "full circle" shroud and the fan from the 17" to an 18" and heat soaked cycled the crap out of it in 100+ kansas heat. When I got it back to the house I let it heat soak again and restarted it and parked it in the sun on the west side of the house at idle for 15 minutes. When I got back into it to check and put it in the garage the temp guage was between 170-175!!! I'm not about to say it's fixed yet but I was very pleased to see the guage sitting where it was...right on the thermostat. And the ambient air temp at 6:00 pm was still WELL into the 90's.

Driving to a car show tomorrow and back on its own power. Should be a good test as well - some city driving, some highway driving, and finishing with some more city driving. We shall see...

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Definitely no shortage of heat and humidity the last few days to test out overheating issues. Looking good, have fun at the car show!

OP
OP
F

FlogginHarvey

Loc.
Wichita
Thanks Okie! Car show was great! Drove the 20 miles home and let it sit in the driveway again for about 10 minutes. Ran right at 180 and after sitting at idle in the heat it crept up to between 200-210*. MUCH better but I am still wanting to keep at it. I was hoping / expecting 190'ish plus after sitting. Need to check timing next and then I guess sink some money into replacing the radiator for a Ron Davis unit?

OP
OP
F

FlogginHarvey

Loc.
Wichita
I did some more "test driving" in the heat today. Checked the coolant level and add about 1/3 of a gallon after it burped. Hopped in for a quick 4-5 mile jaunt and did some fishing and back. Stayed at or around 175-180 for the drive there and back. Getting pretty excited.

AND, the first fish caught in the Bronco. Pretty funny!;)

OP
OP
F

FlogginHarvey

Loc.
Wichita
Been a while since posts and updates...always something.;). Last time out it ran ROUGH & RICH and could t figure it out. Fuel leak under the hood - gulp. Filter body was tight (too fancy billet). No biggie.

Then it was running off the frame rail...out of the carb. Stupid carbs...really watching the FI Tech threads closely to see if it is a nice way to go with the bugs worked out. So back to the carb-the needle for the back two barrels guts just flopped out and fell into the bowl and jacked everything up. Never seen that ever before but it sure did it. T&M Auto helped get it all patched together and been doing little jaunts to test running warm (so far hovering around 175 down the road and 180-185 sitting in traffic) fuel "issues" etc so

Went on a quick 8-10 mile round trip and caught a couple of fish in the meantime...good bronco evening!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Looking good!! I was in the same spot as far as carbs, went quadrajet and couldn't be happier. Straight up or down, no issues on the rocks. Not sure about high altitudes yet though.

OP
OP
F

FlogginHarvey

Loc.
Wichita
Thanks man! I hear ya on the Q-Jet...but smelling like gas is so...1975.;) Altitude is what is getting me too, REALLY want to take this baby fishing in CO and to the sand around Alamosa.

NW OK is beautiful area, any good trails/Offroad spots out that way?