• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Decoding my VIN

Readhead

Trying to figure out color and options the color code appears to be blank
Vin
U15GLF51163
WB
Color

Model
U150
Body
9U98
Trans
C
Axle
DSU

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
DSO of 712827 - The 71 is the DSO code which indicates it was sold by a dealer in the Los Angeles sales area. The “2827” is the order number. That means it was a special order and probably was painted a non standard color. That’s why you don’t have a paint code.

OP
OP
R

Readhead

That makes sense ... this whole truck has always been a little offf it does have the small bearing rear end but the code says it is open yet I have the factory tag that says it’s limited slip

OP
OP
R

Readhead

So to anyone who has ever ordered the report do I need the 200 dollar one or is the 46 dollar one good enough?

OP
OP
R

Readhead

I will do that I’m at work and on my phone right now it’s a 69 sport it is ORANGE lol no red in it as far as I can tell with a white top I will post pics probably tomorrow

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you get the online Marti (before you get the actual one in the mail) let us know if anything glaringly odd shows up.
Be cool if it was a custom colored Stroppe that never got the full treatment. Any oddities as far as you can see? Things like automatic trans, power steering, bumper braces, roll bar with a crown in the center? Stuff like that?
Then again, I don't think they were doing that in '69. Weren't the first ones offered in '71? Heck, maybe it was supposed to be a desert race truck anyway! Going to Los Angeles, you never know.

Paul

OP
OP
R

Readhead

The one thing I really have noticed is the roll bar it has a dick cepeck sticker on it and it looks stock it has bumper braces but they are welded in I will let you all know when I get the report back

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
There weren't any "stock" roll cages, they were all add-ons. Welcome to the forum :)

OP
OP
R

Readhead

Well you can tell I’m a little bit of a newbie lol ... I thought roll cages at least the bar behind the driver was stock

Tugross302

Welcome to the greatest forum on the net. You’ll soon find out that a lot of guys on here really know their stuff on broncos. Plus they are nice about answering even the simplest questions. Kinda feels like family

OP
OP
R

Readhead

Does anyone have an idea of the color and I guess I should have asked this first do my pictures open ?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Definitely a Sport. Looks like it had beltline trim, a ranch hand, and swing away tire carrier at some point. I don’t know about the color. Was it originally more of a red color? I see a few spots that seem to have more red.

OP
OP
R

Readhead

The original tire carrier was gone when I bought it and the spots you see of red were from a repaint that was done poorly I took most of it off with a steamer ... I have all the trim I removed it so I could get the bad paint off

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does anyone have an idea of the color and I guess I should have asked this first do my pictures open ?

They open fine (sort of) but our habit lately is to avoid PhotoBucket if you can. Nothing wrong with it, if that's what you normally use and they don't try to charge you an arm and a leg and then not let us see them. But they do also tend to have very annoying pop up ads and other stuff that makes viewing images a pain.
When you cruise through a website article and notice a lot of empty spaces where photos used to be, that was PhotoBucket taking down literally YEARS worth of peoples photos in their posts because what used to be free is now pretty expensive. Many of which will never be seen again, because either the person no longer wishes to take the time, or perhaps is no longer able to because they're no longer with us. Very frustrating and sad.

Apparently they let you post up a link for free? But for all those that spent hours upon hours uploading photos directly to forums like ours, only to have the images disappear later, I'm pretty sure most of them will never use PB again.

As for color, sure looks Orange to me. Faded a bit, but not like a faded red really. More like something that was always Orange.
Ford called various colors by different names over the years. So you could have the same color as the year before, but it went by a different name. Or you could have the same color code as another year, but it's a completely different color! I hate that!
Ford could very well have called what you have a "Red" just because they could. Maybe it was Chevy Orange and they didn't want anyone to know!;D

There were several years for the Stroppe Broncos that all used the same actual "color" Red, but some years were called Poppy Red, while other years went by a different name and/or code, even though they were the same color.
But no matter how you looked at it, the "red" was really sporting more Orange than a normal red would have. More red than yours though, if memory serves.

And all the OE's had the same penchant for taking poetic license with naming their colors. Yellows were Green, and vice versa. Reds were Oranges, and Greens were Yellows. Enough to make your head spin sometimes.

So I have no idea what color yours actually is, but someone will know what it "should" be I bet. Did you check out the "Original Color Master Thread" or whatever it's called here? You might find color sheets for '68, '69 and '70 that might show up as something available for cars, but not for trucks.
Perhaps it's a special order because for some reason the desired color was no longer available in the Bronco/Truck lineup for '71 maybe? No idea, but it's hard to tell sometimes.

But good luck. Be nice to know.

Paul